H&K USP 40 Grip

BarryLee

I have an H&K USP .40 full-size model and really have enjoyed shooting it the last few weeks. The gun has proven reliable, accurate and with very manageable recoil.

The only minor issue is that I just don’t seem to have as good of a grip on it as I would like. I have slightly larger than normal hands, so I don’t think that is the issue. The gun obviously has a poly grip and for some reason I just don’t feel I have a good hold. The grips can obviously not be replaced and I have considered a slip on grip or an adhesive product. So, does anyone have any good tricks or products to recommend?

PSP

I use a Hogue grip sleeve and I believe the finger bumps give me a more secure hold on my USP. They are cheap to at least give it a try.

DBLAction454

The Hogue slip on grip fits very tight. I had one on my USP but actually didn't like it. After 5 minutes of trying to get it off I had to take a razor blade to it. I wasted 10 bucks but oh well. I didn't want it on the gun anymore...

hoytinak

The Hogue slip on grip fits very tight. I had one on my USP but actually didn't like it. After 5 minutes of trying to get it off I had to take a razor blade to it. I wasted 10 bucks but oh well. I didn't want it on the gun anymore...

This was my exact experience as well. I haven't actually liked a Hogue with the finger grooves yet though...

RC20

I find that a bit odd as the HK grips have all been great (Handled the USPs and shot the P30)

I do know my Sig grip I was not totally happy with and finally went to the larger one and then started to play with it.

note: not totally happy was it just was not quite right, not bad, just a tad off)

Upshot was I tried "Choking" it with a high grip and that's when the larger grip and the hold came together.

I latter was reading a M Abood article and he stated that was the correct grip for it. Fun to figure it out for myself and get confirmation it was right (though I think its what works for you that counts)

I was used to the 1911 grip and this was a change.

so you might try adjusting it around a bit.

BarryLee

note: not totally happy was it just was not quite right, not bad, just a tad off)

Yes, this is sort of my feeling on the USP not really complaining just curious what others may have done. I guess the biggest issue is that while the front and rear straps are pretty aggressive the actual grip panels are well not so aggressive.

However, shot the gun this afternoon and really enjoyed it, so maybe it's just a learning curve.

BarryLee

The jet funnel attachment changes the grip slightly.

I assume the standard 13 round magazines will not work with the jet funnel and you must use the larger 16 round capacity magazines is this correct?

armed_librarian

To answer your question, the jet funnel does require different mags.

My daily carry is a USPc 40. Just bought a Hogue slip on grip for it and I'm a fan. It took me a good five minutes just to get it on, so I wouldn't worry about it slipping off.

Might be worth the $10 bucks to try it out.