H&K USP--2 FT Extract Malfs...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Happened this morning with the Winchester USA 100 round bulk packed 9mm ammo from WalMart.

Out of 50 rounds, two empty cases were left in the chamber and the gun jammed trying to feed a fresh round.

In both cases, after the jam was cleared, I dropped the slide, the extractor picked up the case rim on the first try and I was able to extract the brass manually.

My wife uses this gun for home defense--is this an ammo issue or does it need attention?

I've previously fired 50 rounds of this ammo through this gun with no malfunctions.

The gun was cleaned after the last use (as always), and there are no apparent problems with the extractor. The gun has less than 1000 rounds through it and I have meticulously maintained it. The chamber was clean and I can't see anything that would lead me to believe that the cases are sticking in the chamber--especially since they manually ejected so easily.

This happened in the middle of a match so I didn't get a chance to examine the brass to see if it was defective...

Input appreciated.

John

defox

Run a mixture of ammo through it including the type that had failed to extract. See what happens and report back here.

SVTNate

I can't help you with your problem, but I've put about a thousand rounds of the Winchester USA through my own USP9, lots of those rounds came from the Value Packs. Not one single malfunction...maybe you got a bad box? The USP9 is not known for being ammo-sensitive, any decent jacketed round should feed and extract reliably.

gunnoob

My USP 9mm did that very same thing around 3000 rounds with that same ammo. Finally I took a small electronics screwdriver and scraped all the crud out behind the extractor and corners of the ?breechface?(I think that is what it is called). I was surprised at how much buildup came out of it considering that it didnt look all that dirty. No problems for the next 2000 rounds.

Kermit

I have put 1000's of the Walmart specials through my USP & compact 9's. The only failures I've seen were with Wolf ammo & bad mags...actually dirty mags.

Joe Mamma

JohnKSa, I know you said the gun has less than 1000 rds through it but, it may be a weak recoil spring. I would check/clean the extractor first. Then, maybe try another recoil rod assembly. If you contact HK, they may send just you one.

With a weak recoil spring, when you fire a round, there will be a sharp kick on recoil and that can push the slide rearward and leave the case in the chamber. You will probably notice this more with 115 gr ammo than 147 gr ammo because 115 ammo is usually much hotter.

I have a USP full size 9mm and had the same problem. If I remember correctly, it happened after I had about 3000-4000 rds on it. I sent it in to HK and they fixed it. Now, it has another 11,000 to 12,000 rds through it and it shoots fine.

Also, I use the Wal-Mart Winchester 100rd value packs a lot. In my opinion, it's good stuff.

Joe Mamma

OutLaw

I'd send it back to HK and let them inspect that weapon.Never had a problem out of my HK 9/40/45's full or compact.
And that Win "white box" is good stuff.

Mikul

Remove the extractor and clean everything out. When I finally took mine out I found about 1/100" of powder residue in there. It could also be a goofy batch of ammo.