H&K Paddle Magazine Release

ShootingNut

First experience with a Paddle release pistol, took my new VP9 to the range today. First shot (3 times) grouped very good just above bullseye. But,
for three times it did not feed the 2nd round.
I fed the same ammo through my Beretta with no problem.
Came home, and after thinking this through, I believe my grip must have
released the mag after my first shot. I'm thinking that as the slide closed
on the 2nd cartridge, which was caught at a very steep angle to the barrel ramp, was my problem. Stupid of me I know.
So, wondering if anyone else found this when getting use to a Paddle Release?
My next range trip with my new VP9 will tell the truth, as I WILL NOT accidentally let my grip pressure the Paddle.

Mystro

Thats a new one. Just make sure you smack the magazine home when loading max +1. All my HK's are USP Compacts and even my PPQ with similar mag release seems natural for me.
I was a Range Officer at a gun expo when the VP9 first came out and I helped 100s shoot the new gun. Generally, everyone shot it well and it took a huge bite out of the Glock tent just a few spaces down. The new shooters that never shot much of any handguns came away excited about the VP9 and that was THE gun they liked the best. I could have sold alot of VP9's that day and many wanted to buy our demo gun at the end of the day. Its a shooter for sure.

ShootingNut

I agree, I sure thought that I would have known if I had released it.
I'm not a newbie, been shooting various guns for years, but new to the
Paddle. Again, what makes me think the mag was released, is the steep angle of the un-chambered second round. Time was limited at the range today, otherwise maybe I'd have figured out how stupid I was. :)

marine6680

New mags and springs may be the culprit...

I would imagine a full mag would drop enough to know it was released if you had hit the mag release.

ShootingNut

I only had 10 rounds in the magazines, plus my grip may have stopped the
mag from dropping completely, but just enough to abort the feeding is my
guess at this point. Can't believe it's the gun, has to be the dummy on the other end.

Dirty_Harry

Once you get used to that mag release it is superior

My vp9 mags want to launch out, so I don't think it is the magazine release. Shoot it again and let us know.

Hammerhead

Love the paddles, never had a problem, been shooting HKs for 12 years, but most have been .45s.

New pistol, 9mm factory ammo maybe on the weak side, perhaps the slide is short stroking?

DanTSX

How is it superior? Is it spring loaded to make the mags shoot out of the bottom faster?

It's not. It's just HK doing something a little different.

Also, mags want to "shoot out" of the mag well on a number of firearms.

TunnelRat

It's not. It's just HK doing something a little different.

I think you mean HK and Walther. It was a deliberate design decision going back many decades all the way to the P7M8. I don't think it was because some engineer said, "But the button release is so boring!" I don't think it's necessarily superior, but I think your explanation is a bit simplistic.

vyse.04

It certainly takes some getting used to, as a few times I instinctively reached for the mag release and was closer to the slide release because it is tucked away. After a few magazines I got it down, and I also prefer it to the more common design. I'm not sure how one would accidently release a magazine as my hand doesn't interfere with it when firing, and it takes a bit of pressure to release.

Cosmodragoon

How exactly are you gripping it? I've never had this problem with paddle releases. In fact, it didn't take long for me to prefer them. :)

The advice given so far is right on the money. Definitely heed it on firmly seating the magazine. Twice now I have seen someone drop the magazine on their first shot with a brand new gun, both with button releases. In each case, I'm sure they thought it was in there securely and got some indication that it was. How much was them learning a new gun and how much was the gun just being new? Hard to tell but new stuff can be stiff! There can also be crud, gunk, or who knows what else in there. I like to take new guns and magazines down for a good clean and lube before I shoot them.

ShootingNut

Dirty Harry and others,
You are correct it is not the inadvertent release of my magazine.
After running 50 rounds of Winchester USA through it this morning
with no feeding issue, I have to look at my reloads. Apparently my
new VP9 does not like either my "start load" or maybe not quite enough
crimp. So, I am loading a little hotter rounds with more crimp, and we
will see how she goes.
Thanks for all your input, I do love the quality of the HK. It is very
similar in feel to my Walther PPQ (.40). Glad I have tried a German
made firearms.
Regards

rt11002003

I have a couple of comments/questions; m/b disagreeing with some of the comments above.

Of the six HK's I have, none have ever required using much force inserting the magazines. In fact, mine are so easy I recheck to make sure they're seated and locked.

I'm not that familiar with the p7m8, does it have the "paddle" release? My p7, a 1995 model doesn't have a paddle release, but has the older style release at the butt of the grip.

Finally, is the release on the p9 larger than the release on the current model HK's? In the photos, it looks like a longer release. For some reason I haven't had an interest in the p9 and as a result I'm ignorant of what it is and how it does it.:)

DanTSX

I think you mean HK and Walther. It was a deliberate design decision going back many decades all the way to the P7M8. I don't think it was because some engineer said, "But the button release is so boring!" I don't think it's necessarily superior, but I think your explanation is a bit simplistic.

I never said HK did it to be a special snowflake. But Leave it to HK to overcomplicate anything, including my explanation.

But the P7 couldn't have a frame mounted button safety due to the nature of the frame's front strap. There wasn't anywhere to put it. So it makes sense on the P7. But it's not really needed on the USP and later pistols. It's just a heritage design at this point, and not any "better" or worse than putting the mag release in the traditional spot.

Walther has a similar release, but not its not the same. And they have made clear efforts to offer the traditional release as well. But I do feel that the Walther style release is superior to the smaller HK design.

cslinger

I like the paddle style and what I do think is measurably superior about it, ok maybe superior is too strong a word, but a definite pro to the system is both its innate ambi design coupled with how low profile and hard to accidentally drop a mag it is.

Honestly I am just as happy with an ambi button design ala XD/XDM and do fine with the standard approach as well. I do however think the paddle system is very well thought out and actually less complicated them some of the just move the button to the side you want.

Both do the same thing. Both require training. Hell I don't even think heel release is all that atrocious with practice. :)

TunnelRat

But Leave it to HK to overcomplicate anything, including my explanation.

Oh lawds. The Glock fanboys are at it again! :D Seriously though, it isn't any more complicated than the button.

Last edited:

drobs

I personally hate HK paddle mag releases. Had USP and was constantly struggling with that mag release. Using a high grip hand hold the paddle fights against my middle finger.