H&K P7M8 and others of this design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikie

The last time I shot a 9mm was a Browning HP which was very nice. Just yesterday another shooter at the range had a P7M8 which he offered to let me try. I shot a magazine of 9s and was amazed. The recoil was so soft I thought I was shooting a 22!! I was shooting my USP40C and G23 and they seemed like cannons compared to the P7. I know this gun is pricey but I could see how one could fall in love with it. Are there other P7 owners out there? What is your opinion? What about the 40 S&W caliber of the same design? Does the "blowback, gas-retarded system" soften the 40S&W recoil in the P7 also?

Rosco Benson

The P7's design is quite innovative, but I can see nothing in its "gas-locked" action that would account for a lower level of recoil. Most likely the effect was caused by the P7's low bore axis (less muzzle flip) and the firm grip demanded to keep the squeeze-cocker depressed. The 9mm P7 and P7M8 are nice pistols. The P7M13 9mm is less so, due to its fat butt. For some reason only known to HK, they added so much weight and bulk to the slide of the .40 S&W P7M10 that it is pretty unappealing.

Rosco

Rob Pincus

I fired a P7M8 yesterday myself, two mags worth, and thought it had especially light recoil also. I haven't spent much time with this pistol, as I am not interested in adding such a radically different design to my collection of potential carry guns and it doesn't appeal to me asthetically as a collection piece (hehe, I think I said the same thing about a Glock 17 10 years ago... ;)).
I wrote off the reduced recoil because I had been firing mostly .45s all afternoon.

My buddy is uncannily accurate with his P7, though he is measurably slower with it than his P228. This guy is fast and good, so the difference is tangible to him and observable to others (and the timer does not lie...).

------------------
-Essayons

jwong

Mikie,

I own a P7M8, and have been pretty pleased with it... My only complaint is that after shooting about 200 rounds in a session, the gun gets very warm (i.e. hot) up near where the trigger meets the gun frame. HK already has a plastic heat shield running along the bottom side of the frame extending from the trigger foward to where the trigger guard meets the frame. But the top portion of the trigger itself gets really hot. Hot enough to that I can't let my finger touch the top part of the trigger. Otherwise the gun shoots great and low bore axis is really a plus...

GLV

The H&K P7 is my second favorate gun. Started shooting a P7PSP in 1982. My 1911 will always be first. The P7M8 is my summer carry gun, very accurate, the most reliable gun built, and the average person ( goblin ) cannot pick it up and make it run. As far as lead bullets, well I was shooting 200 to 300 per day when I found out I was not supposed to shoot them in my P7PSP. There was a small amount of lead buildup on the gas retard piston --- easy to clean off. Can't recommend the P7M10 -- over engineered. My oldest son shoots the P7M13, but it is to large for my hands, both my younger son and self shoot P7M8s. GLV

------------------

Mikie

Roscoe,

What is the difference between the 9mm P7 and the P7M8? Any design differences? Most used P7M8s are around $850 or higher. I saw a P7 for $675.

Rosco Benson

The P7M8 is a later version of the P7. It differs primarily in having a magazine release that is placed up behind the trigger guard, for manipulation with the thumb. The P7 has a "heel-of-butt" type mag release. The P7M8 also has a roomier trigger guard (better for gloved hands) and a plastic heat shield above the triggerguard, as the frame can get a bit hot there during extended use. The manner in which the striker is retained is a bit different too. But these are the main differences. P7 and P7M8 magazines do NOT interchange.

To me, the P7 has much prettier "lines". It looks sleek, while the P7M8 looks less so.

Rosco

Kodiac

The P7 isn't Gas-Locked... It is gas-DELAYED, or sometimes called Gas-retarded.
I owned two of them - both were reliable, but I never carried them for duty, they being 9MM. I am not comfortable with a 9MM. As a gun design, they are beautiful. They very low bore axis is a work of art. They are just a wee bit on the spendy side... and pretty heavy for its size... like a Star FireStar is heavy for its size. Its fixed barrel makes them very acurate.
Maybe some day I will buy another P7... I had the P7-M13s with the double stacked mags.
These are becoming rare - Like the VP-70z I had as well... hard to find.

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

ATM

What a find! Just found this site today, and I find a P7 thread the same place. I love the P7 series, except the M10. To big and heavy. I have to second the comments before me and add one. The accuracy potential is unreal, due in part to the fixed barrel system. The manual of arms is different then other handguns, which as noted before means the goblins are more likely to have trouble with it. I believe it is definitely worth the money invested, I have a P7 PSP with over 80,000 rounds through it and never a lick of trouble with any part of the gun. Oh it gets HOT! Just a note on reliability, I took two weeks of instruction in a sandpit where everygun except the two P7's had troubles. Even the Glocks were going down.
By the way H+K is issuing refurb'd M13's. See your dealer or check the CDNN newspaper. Mags also available in CDNN for $99, new M13 ones! (and its christmas time right now, Hah!)

ShadedDude

Here is a page for you.
<A HREF="http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/p7/p7.htm">http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/p7/p7.htm</A>

I am a big fan of the P7 even thou I despize 9mm, I have been looking for a P7M10 to see in person, I hear alot of people saying how its way to big and all but I still wont belive it till I see it. I love the continouse motion principal, and heck...its a HK. :)

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

DocHolliday

The HK P7M8 is the most accurate 9mm I've shot, bar none. (Can't say anything re: the new M10--saw it at a dealer, looked big enough to club a bear). Anyway, here's the Q: I've never bought one due to hearing too many horror stories about jams with Glasers, Hollowpoints, etc. Has HK given new specs beyond the usual "factory only ammo"? Have they addressed the feeding problem? Any "real world" experience from anyone out there? Help appreciated. Thanks.

Rodmann

Only problem that I've had with my P7M8 was with CCI/Speer Clean-fire primers. Had a couple of "failures to fire" in a case of clean-fire 115gr. I traced the problem down to the harder clean-fire primers that are more difficult to ignite. Everything else that I've shot out of my P7 (5000+ rds.) has been 100%.
Only criticism of the P7M8 that I see is the finish, and too many sharp edges. Give a P7 a nice de-horn and NP3 it and you'd be good to go.
-R

Mikie

Thanks, SD for the H&K website. I gobbled up the technical/historical info on the P7 and the photos are great. I am really bummed out over the dollar devaluation against the mark that pushed the cost of this piece up past the pain threshold. $1100 is what I've heard locally for a new P7M8. I don't know the price of a M10 in 40S&W but know I will have to wait several years and possibly trade in to ever own one..........

ShadedDude

hey no prob, if its tech stuff you like...
then this is the page for you :)

<A HREF="http://www.flash.net/~ffi/hecklerpage/p7motion.htm">http://www.flash.net/~ffi/hecklerpage/p7motion.htm</A>

Many times you can find used P7's in very good condition for under $1000.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

[This message has been edited by ShadedDude (edited 12-13-98).]

ATM

In reply to the question on ammo feed reliability: I have put Glaser, MAGSAFE, Cor-Bon, Hydra-Shok, Golden Sabre, Starfire, as well as thousands of standard factory ammo through my PSP and have had no feed problems whatsoever. That said, when I shot the Glaser and MAGSAFE, I was near the end of life on my spring. So maybe with a brandnew spring cycling might be a problem. However with the Cor-Bon 115 grain out there, use of Glaser and MAGSAFE is less of a concern to me. TRITON also makes a 115 grain round which sounds good, I have never fired one to date. Hope this helps.

jwong

Also in response to the ammo question...

I have shot a little over 300 rounds of Proload 124 gr. +P, and I have not had a single failure... Proload uses Speer's Gold Dot bullet... As for non-hollowpoints, I use PMC and, of course, have not had a single failure to feed as well... :)

Ankeny

I have carried a P7M8 for about a year loaded with Cor-Bon ammo. I have fired over two thousand rounds of misc. hollow points and FMJ's and never had a malfunction. My P7 is not exceedingly accurate printing 3" groups at 25 yds. I have been a Master class PPC shooter for twenty years and this is one of the few autos I can shoot instinctively. If you want an education about the P7M8 call one of the armorers with the Illinois State Police. This is one fine handgun and can be purchased new for under $900.00.

David

I like the way you can squeeze the cocker, and it releases the slide when you reload.

One minor temporary horror story.

I bought two of them (a PSP and a P7M8, nickel finish) around the same time, and noticed the P7M8 wouldn't release the slide when the cocker was squeezed. I looked at the internals of the PSP for comparison, and figured out the problem. Taking apart the P7M8, and getting it back together for the first time, was an experience. If you don't have to take it apart, leave it alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.