H&K P7M8 ammo suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dave

Oh yea,

Few more days & I'll have it.

I need some suggestions on which ammo to buy to break it in and to plink with.

I'd like to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,

Dave

Ice Man

Bullets?? Haven't you heard?? The HKP7M8 is MAGIC. You don't need no stinkin' bullets!Just brandish it and the perp will instantly recognize it as the finest combat handgun EVER made, bar none, and he will melt in a pool of his own excrement.

(Or so one might be led to believe from the posts here.)

Semper fi gentlemen.

Live from Okinawa,
Iceman

Ice Man

P.S. Alternatively, you can throw it at him. Note that this is perfectly safe, since he will be "unable to figure out" how to work the "intuitive squeeze-cocker mechanism", and while he is thusly befuddled you can, at your leisure, thrash him about the head/neck/chest/face region 'til your heart's content.

[This message has been edited by Ice Man (edited October 29, 1999).]

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Ice Man, isnt the Navy paying you enough to buy one? Or are you saving up for the Porche? ;) I am kidding you...

The P7 is fantastic... It earned its reputation. It is reliable with any decent factory 9MM loads. One thing in its favor - and one of the reasons its so good - is that the round held in the mag ready to get chambered is in a close line to the bore. So it can be very forgiving of blunt nose bullets or ultra wide hollowpoints. I used Black Talons a lot back when I had my P7s...
Since the gun is so very accurate - you may want to look for loads that optimize that accuracy further. Then penetration is not an issue - as you can squirt several lead injections right through an iris.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Greg Bell

I plink with Winchester 115g FMj. I can get it around here for 6.99 a box (Wal-Mart). Your P7 shouldn't need any "break-in," or at least that has been my experience. I have several and they have never malfunctioned(on any bullet not made by myself[see below]). Still, I guess you'll want to run it a while before you trust it. I have a Glock 23 that seemed to be working fine up untill I started trusting it. I have had three jams with it (two in the same mag, one later with a different brand of ammo(couldn't tell about the mag though)).

For carry I think you should probably go with the ol' Cor-Bon 115g. It's a proven manstopper and easily availible in most areas. I have shot zillions of rounds of CB through my P7's without a hitch.

You might want to consider reloads if you can get em' cheap. The only thing to worry about with reloads is keeping a close eye on the cleaning of the gun. When I shoot a bunch of reloads I just go-ahead and give it a stick with the cylinder tool and a brush with the cylinder brush. I once shot a crapload of my own personal (and muy bad) reloads through my old M13 without cleaning. After (my guess) about 3k the slide started sticking back after the gun was shot 100+ times in a sitting (the slide would stick back after the final round was fired and you tried to release it with the cocking lever). All I had to do to solve the problem was do the 500 round cleaning procedure (tool and brush) and everything was fine. Also, the gun never jammed after this abuse (if you wanted to keep shooting you just had to put a new mag in and tap on the slide with your hand). I cannot say that for my old Sig 228 and HK P9. Both of them jammed around 5-800 rounds. In their defense, my reloads were CRAPPY (overcharged, undercharged, 2-4x reloaded case!, lax bullet depth, etc).

GHB

[This message has been edited by Greg Bell (edited October 29, 1999).]

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Greetings, Big Dave! In my P7 (PSP), no break-in was required. The thing just fired without malfunction from the first magazine on. Don't shoot bullets of less than 100 grains or HK says the gun may not cycle. That said, I've fired some rather warm 90 and 100 gr JHPs (handloads) with no problems. Currently, I keep my P7 loaded with either Cor*Bon or Triton +P 115 gr HPs. Lead bullets are not recommended as they can reported foul up the gas piston, but that could easily be cleaned should malfunctions begin. Best and enjoy your pistol.

Ice Man

Mr. Hill.
In response, No, the navy isn't paying me enough, but I bought one anyway. Mine came with the manual in German--anyone out there willing to xerox their P7 manual and mail/fax it to me?

And yes, I'm saving for a 911 also. With a P7 in the glove box it would make a formidable Teutonic duo.
Konban-wa.

wc

With my P7, I have fired the worst, high primer reloads, as well as factory, with no malfunctions. It is simply pretty awesome if you like it enough to become proficient with it. Don't let first impressions rule though, because I hated mine at first until I realized what an engineering genius it was, and that it was the only pistol that I had owned that never malfunctioned.

Greg Bell

Mr. Iceman,

I would gladly send you a copy of my P7 manual but you might as well order your own from Hk> Their number is: 703 450 1900.

If they have any sense of the current legal climate they will mail you a manual free and fast.

GHB

SAWBONES

I've found mine to be accurate and reliable with 9mm bullet weights from 80 gr (Glaser) to 147 gr (several brands), but it is only MOA-precise with most of the 115 gr loads (OK, I'm exaggerating), but PINPOINT-precise with Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P loads. I'm talking about center-of-the-8mm-bullseye-precise, and reproducibly so, of course. Your own particular gun may have other preferences, of course, which must simply be determined by trial-and-error, but the P7 series of pistols certainly is the most accurate and precise type of production gun I know, and shoots much better than I can consistently hold. It is a very easy gun to shoot well.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Status
Not open for further replies.