H&K P7 9mm....any good?

1BadF350

My buddy has one and was contemplating selling it to me. Any idea what it's worth and how much I should pay if I decide to buy it?

WillBrayjr

The H&K P7 is a very good pistol. Very durable and dependable. There is only two problems with the P7. Heat gets transfered to the grip fairly quickly and the company is snobby. Depending on the overall condition of the gun itself, a used P7 will go around $500.00-$600.00

mete

To me the P7 is one of the finest guns ever made in both design and quality construction .The heat problem depends ,apparently, on exactly how you hold it .I've never had a problem with it .

Handy

Price depends on model. The P7 surplus imports (stamped BMI) are $600 to $700, while a used P7M8 or P7 in near new shape are more like $900.

On a combat course, the P7 distinguishes itself as having no muzzle rise, fast reloads, a light trigger and amazing reliability.

Oh, and some people get all emotional and accuse you of being a snobby elitist if you buy an HK, but that's just a bonus.

FirstFreedom

Handy, you ever shot one of those P7s with the extended barrel, looking like a slabside ruger mkII? And how is it that P7s have fast reloads..the magwell isn't particularly oversized is it?

Handy

Are you talking about one of those IPSC conversion M13s? No, I've only seen pictures.

Fast reloads are accomplished by several things, like the positive mag eject, the style and placement of the mag release (even the P7 features the best designed heel release ever), and the slide release cocking lever. The mag well itself is quite beveled and exceptionally easy to start the mag into. Much better than any other single stack magwell I've ever used - more like a typical 15 round mag.

WillBrayjr

I never said anyone is a snobby elitest for owning a H&K. I said the company is snobby. They're like $1299.00 new. $900.00 is high for a used P7.

Handy

Will,

Am I thinking of someone else on this board that always pipes up about HK products being overpriced snob gear? I thought I just saw something about USPs... ;) :D

I think my pricing guide is fairly close when you consider how few standard P7s were imported. The BMI guns have made the P7 more common, but a near new Sterling import is not at all common. M8s also tend to hold alot of value, and since the new price is currently around $1200, the used prices are going to reflect that.

I bought my M8 five years ago for $700 in excellent shape - that was a superior deal even at that time. Today, if you can get a good, original one in the $800s you're doing pretty well.

Ozzieman

I owned one for a year when they first became available in the late 80's

What every one has said here was true, wonderful gun, to me the Heat problem was a NON issue.
The reasion that I got rid of it was the basic operation of the pistol.
I had and have been shooting for a long time and my grip is not that firm, it was the way a professional (rode the trains with Harry Truman)
showed me when I was starting out in the late 70's.
The problem was that when I pulled it from a holster and tried to shoot fast not every time would it go off.
It was a problem with me, NOT the gun, I wasnt gripping it hard enough to cock the gun. That scared me, at the time I was doing some work that might require quick action and I needed somthing that I could trust 100%, the gun and my operation and it was lacking.
I still think that the overall desighn is THE best 9mm ever built if it works for you, it just diddnt for me.

FirstFreedom

Hey Handy

USPs ARE overpriced snob gear (although very good). :) The P7 is NOT. It's snob gear that's worth the purchase price.

WillBrayjr

Considering that the USP as well as MK23 use polymer frames, they are overpriced. I thought the use of polymer was to lower the cost of pistols without sacrificing dependability. Maybe I'm wrong.

Doug242ti

:yawn:

I wonder if will worked for HK and got fired, hence the "they are just snobs" :rolleyes:

Here you go Will heres some
Cut_CheeseP8160078.jpg

to go with your
home_wine_image.jpg

Handy

Will, I'm Mr. Polymerisacostsavingcopout, but USPs are no more overpriced than Glocks, P99s or whatever. The only polymer gun that seems worth the asking price are $400 Sig Pros, which are my least favorite polymer guns. The USPs cost about $150 more than a Glock, and have about $150 worth of extra features. But both a Glock and USP should cost about $300 less than they do. Remember that Glocks have more than doubled in price in a period when Berettas and Sigs barely went up $100.

So this really need not be a brand issue.

WillBrayjr

Doug, I never worked for H&K. Any USP I've seen around went for $700.00 and the MK23 Socom went for $2,100.00. I guess price really depends on where one lives.

glock19er

hk p7

had two of them in the past.one was brand new the other was used.very well made handguns and different from the rest of the pack of 9,s out there.only problem i had with them they were finicky with certain ammo(had to be good stuff) in order for it to work right.ending story was i traded both of them for something less well made and sloppy made in order to fire reloads and crappy ammo thru it.the tolerances of the p7 is like almost handmade handguns which thrive on certain rounds to make them work.a loose sloopy made nine seems to shoot about anything you put thru it being mass produced handguns.neverless i might buy another one just to say i have one

Handy

USP average retail - $650 to $750
Glock average retail - $550 to $620

glock19, those must have been some crummy rounds you were using. I've shot mostly reloads with plated bullets in my P7 without a hitch. You can't shoot lead, but that's the only round problem I'd heard of until today.