H&K P30SK 9mm slide control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrock

I just purchased a new H&K P30SK, 9mm online. I cannot take it down, because the slide control appears frozen. I've read & re-read the manual, looked at video's on You Tube.

There doesn't appear to be any right to left movement in the slide control. Does this need to be pried open, or do I just bash it with a 4lb hammer?

Help...Anyone.:confused:

Bullrock

No, the manual states, right to left. My assumption is, by pressing the right side in, it will punch out the left side, which will allow me to off the barrel. But nothing moves, and I'm wearing out the skin on my hands...Must be old age. I sold my USP 20 years ago, and can't remember the take down which probably is similar.

TunnelRat

There's a notch on the left side of the slide that lines up with the takedown lever. You have to retract the slide a certain distance to get them to line up and then you can push it out right to left. I find I can use my left thumb to hold the slide back from the barrel to make it easier, I just put my thumb right in the ejection port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cslinger

This is not a P30 but is a P2000 which is functionally similar. The main difference being that with the P30/SK I believe the slide lock lever is captive where in the P2000/USP etc. it comes completely out.

Step one is to grasp the frame and slide and retract it slightly to the cutout in the frame as shown by the red circle. (obviously remove magazine, clear the weapon etc. first).

I find using my right hand oriented as shown gives me plenty of leverage to slide and hold the slide back in proper position especially with the hammer back.
IMG_3596_1_zpslr0ggdos.jpg

Once you have the slide and notch lined up properly with the slide lock lever you use your other hand to push the center of the other side out and it should push fairly easily out the other side. You will need to use your third hand to take pictures of the process. :D Again on your P30 I believe it is captive and will not come completely out where as on the P2000/USP series it will come out.

IMG_3597_2_zps8xumat6z.jpg

Once you have pushed out the slide lock as shown (removed on the P2000/USP, just pushed out and left captive on the P30 then you will be able to slide the slide assembly right off the frame.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

yeah, I too only have an HK P2000sk to compare, but are you moving the slide back to the notch before trying to move the takedown slide lever? I'm assuming the designs are close. Since you didn't mention moving the slide, I assume you might be under the impression that you can just press it out.

Bullrock

I've taken some pics. Can't upload them now but I will tomorrow after the game. My problem is, no matter how I try and align the slide, the right side, will not push the release pin out. It's like it's just there for looks.

Thank you all. I'll keep trying.:mad:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Sometimes the slide stop on a new gun can be pretty tight. Try pushing with something other than your thumb once the slide is lined up properly. Just use something that's plastic or wood so there's no chance of marring the gun if it slips.

Bullrock

Still Trying

I've been working that P30SK for another hour. There is nothing, on the left side, that I can find to line the slide up with. I've worked up and down the slide trying to find the slot. As someone suggested, I even held it open with my thumb in the extractor. Suppose I got a lemon? Anyone...

TunnelRat

You're lining up the notch in the slide with the takedown lever itself. Cslinger posted some good photos with red circles of the area in question. Given your current description I can't say it's a lemon as it sounds like you don't know what you should be doing. Not trying to be mean, just honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cslinger

I suppose it's not completely out of the question that a slide got out of the factory without a takedown slot milled. Unlikely but stranger things and all.

Can you post a picture of your P30sk? Both sides?

If you look at the picture here you can see the takedown cut just above the third "tooth" of the picatinny rail. Pull the slide back to where that is over the forward most portion of the slide stop and push from other side or use a small flat tool to get under and pull from side with cut.

If that doesn't work something may be wrong but honestly without pictures it's hard to deduce.

http://hkusa.s3.amazonaws.com/20150408004440/P30SK-V1LEM-Left-WEB1.jpg

Last edited:

TunnelRat

I suppose it's not completely out of the question that a slide got out of the factory without a takedown slot milled. Unlikely but stranger things and all.

Then how did they assemble the pistol in the first place?

cslinger

True, I thought of that after the fact.

Have you shot it? Does the slide travel freely back and forth. Does a mag lock it open? Do the slide lock levers work normally other then not allowing disassembly?

Bullrock

I got it!!!

Finally, I lined it up best I could, took my needle nose pliers, and lightly punched the release, and it released, like something was holding it. I may have given up had you guys not tried to help...So, many many, thanks. Out of the box this P30SK was clean as a whistle. It is now oiled, and ready for the range, if we don't have a blizzard (Nor'Easter) tomorrow...:D

cslinger

Great news.

One other suggestion. Run some heavier or hotter ammo out of the box for a box or four. (NATO spec, 147 grain, +p or defensive stuff). I personally have found and I know not everybody experiences this but HKs don't particularly like 115 grain powder puff range fodder until they get worked in a bit.

Just a suggestion and may not be necessary but if you do have an issue or two with light range fodder try doing as I said above and then come back to the range fodder.

Enjoy shoot safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.