H&K MP5 A5 vs. SIG 522

sks

Am in the market (aka I have the itch :)) for one of these and would like to get feedback from those who have them or have shot them. I've only handled the SIG in a local gun store about a year back and have never seen the H&K around here. Never shot either one.

If you have one or have shot one, please tell me what you like about it and what you don't like about it.

Only these two are listed and not the S&W, Colt or Ruger as I just like the looks of these two better. :D However, if someone has one of the others mentioned here and you really think I should take a look at it, let me know. I'm open!

I've considered getting the time tested 10/22 and "fixing it up" but by the time I do that the price is about the same if not more.

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks

sks

I've shot a MP5 PDW and it was super fun. A bit expensive to purchase and keep full of ammo but loads of fun. :)

The two rimfires mentioned here would be much cheaper to feed. Not to mention fun to shoot all day long.

Just looking for some feedback from those who might have one for the pros and cons.

Willie Lowman

I have shot the HK .22.

It has roughly the same weight and balance as a real MP5. The rear stock had a bad wobble on the one I shot and on the other one I looked at.

The trigger was nothing to write home about but it wasn't bad. The gun I was shooting needed sighting in. We were shooting gongs and tennis balls so I didn't get a good idea of accuracy.

If the sample I shot was anything, it was reliable. No jams of any type in the 200 rounds I put through it. I couldn't say that about any of the Colt/Umarex .22s I have seen.

The worst part; No happy switch :(

sks

Thanks WL.

I've not handled the H&K but the SIG I handled did seem tight. Don't want to go with the AR style .22 as I've got a Bushmaster.

EdInk

Between the two choices, I would go with the Sig 522. You should look at the GSG5 (or the newer GSG522) if you want something MP5-ish. It has a well proven track record and is very well made.

sks

Thanks EdInk.

I found one 522 about an hour away with a standard 16" barrel and a 20" bull barrel for $550.00 but that is more than I want to spend. Another store closer has the standard 522 for $480.00 but then I've got to throw an optic on top which is more $$$. Has got me thinking though.

Appreciate the input. I'll check into the GSG.

sks

Shanzlik: I read your review and appreciate the time you spent putting this together. None of the shops around here have the MP5 A5 although I've seen another H&K variant. Found the SIG 522 yesterday and it felt nice.

Will keep looking and checking prices. The dealers I've called say they can't keep either one on the shelf.

Sort of humorous that while I was looking at one of these a fellow walked up to the counter and asked why anyone in their right mind would drop that much coin on a .22 when you could get a real rifle for that much. My answer was that I already own several "real rifles" but can shoot 500 rounds of .22 for the price of 50 round of "real ammo".

Again, thanks for the input. One of the things I appreciate about TFL is that we can get honest reviews from folks who actually own a particular firearm and not simply someone paid to write a piece (not that those are always bad).