H-110

zot

I bought some new Rainier .44 FP 240 gr. I tried to buy
Winchester 296 but they were on strike and my dealer only
had H-110, all I have is Winchester primers. Hodgdon site says 24 gr.s H-110 with Remington primer, all my reload books say CCI or Remington, so ? I want to load .44 mag loads, is 24 gr.s H-110 with a Winchester primer safe with
240 gr. FMJ FP?any help/

Paul B.

Zot. From what I understand, W-296 and H-110 are basically the same powder, just different lots. You can always drop back the 3 percent Hodgden says is safe and work back up.
I use W-296 as well, and that is what I would do, if I had to make the change.
Paul B.

zot

thanks Paul, I notice Winchesters load data has 240 gr. JSP
with 296 24 gr.s . same as H-110. thanks

Hutch

Winchester LP primers

IIRC, the WLP primers are rated for both standard and magnum loads. To me, that might indicate that it's kind of a compromise between the two. Dunno. Point being, be sure to get a good crimp, and look for unburned powder in the case and barrel. You may have to go to a hotter cap.

KP95DAO

44 Loads with Rainier bullets.

ZOT,
The 44 Mag load I use is 24 GR. H110, WLP primer, with a Hornady 240 JHP.
I post this only because that is a top load and there might be some concern about using it with a plated, as opposed to regular jacket, bullet.
You may get base deformation which could affect accuracy. And it might affect pressure due to slugging of the base.
Just my 2c.

zot

KP95DAO you have me wondering about this Rainier bullet ,
you mean to push this magnum I could (at the worst) blow my gun up?I hope not, I've shot lead mag loads, why wouldn't they deform? just wondering?

zot

crap! I wanted to ask if anyone uses Lee's factory crimp
die on these bullets because of no canulare? think i spelled it wrong, but could I crimp into flat bullet to make
sure none jump the crimp?

WESHOOT2

Again, best crimp die is the Redding Profile Crimp die.

Do NOT try to super-power the Rainiers; crimp will be insufficient to keep nuke loads from creeping.

(Best .429" bullets include Hornady and Sierra.)

KP95DAO

ZOT,
First, if you approach from below of course you will notice pressure problems before they get serious.
Rainier bullets are swaged and then plated. They are softer than most cast bullets. This is why they would "slug up" before any cast bullets.
However; it is possible to concave the base of even regular jacketed bullets if enough pressure is applied.
This is one reason Speer does not recommend certain of their .45 bullets for the 454.
This jacks up pressure and raises billy hell with accuracy, in most instances.