H-110 or H-4227

onlybrowning

In regards to loading the 44 mag I see in my load data that H-110 offers more velocity than H-4227, but my question is how stable is it to temperature. In pictures, I do not see the "Extreme" symbol on the can. The H-4227 does have it. What do you guys think. I will be hunting and shooting in temps from 90 degrees to as low as about 0 degress.

Also I am talking about bullets from 240-300 grains and hunting loads. :)

Ruger4570

We have managed to get by for many years without the "Extreme" label on powder. I suppose it is more marketing hype than of actual value. I have read reports etc, but in 45 years of reloading I haven't been affected. It is true that at the lowest temps. the velocity will be less than at higher temps, and the opposite is true too in higher temps. I have lived in Tucson and shot my guns in as hot as 112 degrees or more and in NY at less than 0 degrees. I have never experienced any meaningful differences using "standard" loads. At least , none that I could tell with hunting loads. It is posssible to have diferences, but I doubt that too many people shoot benchrest at 0 degrees.I have never seen any powder manufacturer mention anything about load adjustment for temperatures, so I would assume that the published loads are safe ant any reasonable temp.

onlybrowning

Thanks for the reply. I have heard the horror stories of certain powders giving people way different velocities and POI in different temps than what they sighted in for, so I guess I am just a little paranoid. I really don't want to have a slammer walk out and me make a bad shot because my "July zeroed gun" is not also a "November zeroed gun." Maybe I can conduct some tests if I can ever get a chronograph. :D

Peter M. Eick

By the way, in this months "Handloader" magazine, Hodgedon annonced that they are going to stop marketing h-4227 and only keep imr-4227 once current stocks are used up. I suggest you either stock up or switch early.