Guys, Please Set Me Straight On This

Single Six

For years now, I've been seeing ads in the gun mags for surplus Mauser K98k rifles from Mitchell's Mausers. I know the story; a cache of these rifles, built back in the WWII era but never issued, were found and are being sold. The prices are shown as $399.00 for a "Souvenir Grade" and $499.00 for a "Collector Grade". But my 3 questions: Are these rifles really worth owning? What, if any, are their shortcomings? How hard is it to find factory ammo? Thanks to all.

the rifleer

I think that these are completely refinished rifles. They are not original and are not collectable. They don't have much, if any, historical value. They are fine guns and work great if you just want a good solid pretty looking mauser, but like I said, they are just a rifle to a collector, they are not historical rifles.

jon_in_wv

+1 what he said. They are great examples of the Mauser but they are refinished and have no real collectors value unless Mitchell's goes belly up and you wait 50 years or more. :D

Microgunner

I believe these are all refurbished rifles without matching serial numbers, Frankenstein rifles.
Little to no collector value, shooter grade only.

GregM

Talking about two different rifles when dealing with Mitchells.

The german rifles are just russian captures they clean up. Russia electropenciled the serial number on all the bolt parts, so they buff that off the bolt, thats why the bolt is not blue on mitchells rifles. No collector value really, but some of them are really pretty, and if you just want a shooter, that a way to go, an expensive way, but that's about all they are really good for. My buddy has a BYF 42 in a BCD stock that is a real beauty i'd consider making into a fake sniper.

They also sell Yugo M48 rifles, and while I do not have any hand on time with those, I have read there were rifles put straight into storage "as new".

Good luck
GregM

Single Six

Greg: I should have mentioned that I have no interest in collector pieces; if I did get one, a shooter is what I'd want. Thanks to you & all others who have responded so far. :)

rdf.hack

I've seen shooter Mausers cheaper, you should check out the VZ24s as I've heard favorable reviews on them. My personal Mauser, is a Gewehr 98, no import marks, very nice trigger, got it for free for the most part, from a friend in NY who owed me some money.

JerryM

Mauser is a great action. However, I have never cared for any surplus gun, as they are clumsy compared to a commercial rifle. I would have to have one remodeled, and that is more expensive, if someone else does the work, than a new rifle.
Jerry

Smokey Joe

Answers, mebbe...

OK, for the OP's question: (1) These rifles are worth owning. They are shootable Mauser k98K's in finge shape. (2) Shortcomings: As mentioned, no collector value due to Mitchell's "prettying up" process. Also, if what you want is a shooter Mauser 98, Mitchell's price is about $100 too high--that's what you're paying for the prettying up, plus all those Mitchell ads in gun mags, plus of course Mitchell's profit. (3) Commercial 8x57 JS ammo is available in just about any well-stocked local sptg gds sto, or online. (Also called 7.9x57 JS--same thing!) Military surplus 8mm is getting rare, and the price is going up. The American-made 8mm is loaded down because there are a few old "8mm" rifles around with .313" bores instead of the .323" that became standard prior to WWI. No MILITARY 8mm Mausers made since 1905 will have the small bore however, (check the date on the receiver of your k98K; strong odds are it'll be later than that; slug the bore if you're not sure), but the American ammo is loaded so it can't burst the old smaller-bore rifles. European commercial ammo is loaded hotter. And of course you can handload.

As has been pointed out, military rifles are made kind of klunky, so as to bear up to the mistreatment they get in battle and still shoot. IMHO, that doesn't make them worse than commercial rifles, just different. And if you want this rifle just for shooting, there are all sorts of retro parts for the 98 that you can get, and play with.

The Mitchell M-48's I know less about, but I think they are Mitchell-prettied also. And certainly Mitchell-priced. The M-48 (which was started in production in 1947, of course, just to keep things interesting) obviously never saw service in WWII, so it has no historical value. Parts are mostly not interchangeable with the k98K, BTW, tho' some are. You'll find several Cyrillic characters and the number "44" on the side of the receiver--This means "FACTORY # 44" where the M-48's were made, and is NOT a date of production. The M-48's maybe saw some police work or some such, but mostly they were just stored, so mostly they are in pretty good shape.

Were I you, I'd start going to gun shows in your area, and pricing k98's and M-48's, and handling a number of them. Bring a rag, you'll get an icky brown greasy preservative called cosmoline, on yourself. Pretty soon you'll get a feel for what is a bargain in your area, and mebbe develop a preference for one model. There are a plethora of military Mausers, not all are 8mm's, and identifying, classifying, and collecting them is a whole sub-genre all by itself among military rifle collecting.

Just as a final word, Mitchell's Mausers are overpriced, to put it bluntly. You can do better. The other side of that coin is, of course, that they're not making military bolt-action rifles any more, and the Mauser is among the best-designed bolt actions to be had.

Good luck and enjoy. Oh, and please keep us posted! :)

Last edited:

JHansenAK47

Some of their guns are alright.
The little tanker mauser in 308 I got has been a great little gun after I replaced the chewed up extractor it came with and fixed the magazine follower and spring. Not being completely sarcastic it is a great gun after I fixed it.