Gunwriters: Old School, your favorite?

FM12

The thread on the percieved state of decline of gun magazines got me to thinking about the old writers: O'Connor, McGivern, Askins, Keith, Skelton, Nonte, et al. Who were your favorites, and why? I REALLY miss Skeeter Skelton.

skeeter1

Skeeter Skelton for me as well. That's not where my nickname came from, but I just really liked the guy's writing. Too bad he's gone. :(

rwilson452

Jeff Cooper. I liked him for his style. Skeeter is totally different but good stuff.
Cooper in some ways reminds me of Hemingway.

Mark B

Skeeter, Cooper, Jordan
Thankfully, Bart Skelton is carying on his dads tradition of great gun writing.

Ranger325

I picked up a copy of the "Best of Shooting Times and G&A" yesterday. It's full of reprints from Skeeter, Elmer Keith, Chas Askins, Bill Jordan, Bob Milek and more. A great read............................:D

Regards,

44 AMP

Staff
For me,

A better answer would be who I didn't like. Not that I really didn't like any of them, but O'Conner is the only one I didn't read. He wrote mostly for Field & Stream, and I rarely read them in those days, as they didn't have enough about shooting to hold my interest. Added to that is it seemed everytime I read anything of his, it was all .270 Winchester. Not that the .270 isn't a great round, I was just never a fan.

Virtually all of the writers in Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times and, of course the American Rifleman were not only the leading technical writers and experts of their day, they were often the leading expirimentors and innovators of the era. My reading of these mags only goes back (full time) to the 1950s, but I have read nearly everything they wrote that was published in the magazines, and several of their books as well.

It is amusing to me, to hear these writers referred to as "old school". I guess that dates me pretty well. To me, the current crop of writers has only a couple of people that may someday approach the status of the leastof the "old School" writers. There are some who show some promise, but I doubt they will have the opportunities to get the expierence that was formed the knowledge base for these "old school" writers.

The overwhelming majority of the art and skill of personal weaponscraft today is directly attributible to some of these men. There are very popular cartridges and guns that exist today only because of the actions and writing of some of these men, which spurred insightful industry individuals to create them.

I cannot urge those of you not familiar with their works, strongly enough, to go, find them and read them while they are still easily available. Don't get your knowledge of these great pioneers just from a Wikipedia entry.

I know there are a lot of you out there who don't know, or don't know much of these works, and may not consider them realtive to today, but so much of what we enjoy today is a result of their work that you owe it to yourself to learn about it and the men who made it happen.

Not too long ago I read a response in a thread, "Who is this Keith everyone is talking about?", and I was stunned. Not at the question, but about the fact that I realized that there are people for whom these "old school" writers are not familiar old friends. And that I had forgotten they are out there.

Brothers and Sisters, there are lost brethern out there, seeking the light! In the fashion of the guilds of old, it is the responsibility of the masters and the journeymen to teach the apprentice. Teach them the truths of the art, the ones that the "old school" writers spent their lives learning and passing on to us.

One thing you can get from these "old school" gentlemen is a firm foundation on which to build, along with an understanding of the times and limitations under which they labored. And you can get quite a bit of entertainment at the same time.

There are, of course, those apprentices out there who already believe they know it all. For them, all we can hope is that when life gets around to teaching them what they do not know, it doesn't hurt too much.

rem33

Been to many years to remember names, but the gun/hunting editor in Field & Steam in the late 50's early 60's. Elmer keith for books, just liked his style and have shot antelope near his old ranch. another great book on hunting was Hunter by J.A Hunter about Africa in the first half of the 20th century.
Then Patrick McManis is great.

Last edited:

Smokey Joe

Old-school writers

For me, it's a tie: For detailed, technical stuff, made understandable, it's Col. Townsend Whelen, hands down. For sheer musical prose and inspiration, it's Robert Ruark, hands down. End of discussion.

FM12

44AMP: It's really refreshing to go back & reread these guys. Not a lot of pretense there. For those of you not familiar with these writers, you're really doing yourself a disservice by not finding books from these writers and learning from them. I REALLY miss Skeeter.

RedneckFur

Jim Carmichael was my favorite gun writer. Is he still alive? My dad had all his books and I would read them as a kid. It helped me alot to learn how to shoot a rifle.

cheygriz

Nonte, Askins and Whelen were fairly nowledgeable. Skelton and Kieth were totally full of B.S., but entertaining.

P.O. Ackley's books were informative because he was a master gunsmith, and WASN'T a pimp for the manufacturers.

O'conner was a complete moron that had to hire a giude to take him hunting 25 miles from his home.

Cooper was by far the most arrogant, sexist and bigoted, least knowledgeable of the bunch. He did have a little competition from Bob Milek in the arrogance department.

Those who have not read "the old time gun writers" haven't missed much!:p

The only ones I miss are Nonte and Askins. and even them, I really don't miss very much.

Gun rags have always been gun rags. Pimping for their advertisers!

liliysdad

I feel that Cooper was one of the most knowledgable out there, the only thing was that his knowledge was fairly concentrated and specialized. As for him being arrogant, I never saw it that way, I saw him as being confident and sure of himself At what point does one cross the line from honest and forthright to arrogant?

Bogoted and sexist, I dont know. I suppose he could be classified as such today, but in his time it was not seen that way. He saw things through a very minue lens, and spoke frankly on such matters. Many writes today would be well served to speak their minds, not what the PC police dictate.

Of all the writers of old, Cooper, Skelton, and Keith were not the only ones i enjoy, but they are the only ones that I feel truly sad for never having the chance to meet.

I recently purchased the entire G&A issues from 1971 and 1973, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading them. I do feel that the current crop of writes are nowhere near the class of men, let alone writers, that the ld guys were. Granted,there are a select few carrying the torch, such as Clint Smith, Pat Rogers, Lewis Awerbuck, and the like, but they are few and far between.

In the gun world, the good old days truly were.

williamd

I'll add Teddy Roosevelt to my list above. I have a set of 8 books he did and the books on hunting in the Kootenay's is simply great.

Did not like Elmer Keith as he was too much of a blow hard, but his "HELL, I WAS THERE!" is good. Plus, I personally knew the B.C. policeman that went along on the trip in the book ... and who outshot Keith, Walter George Bailey. Said Keith never spoke to him after the shooting contest at bottles thrown into the river :) (not too concerned in those days!). In his mid-70's Walter could outshoot most us 'kids' with a handgun. Was on a Canadian team that won in the U.S. circa 1958. Taught me a lot.

cheygriz

At what point does one cross the line from honest and forthright to arrogant?

At the point of "I'm right and you're wrong, because I said so, and I'm the world's greatest living expert." And that's an absolutely perfect description of Jeff Cooper. He was the keyboard version of Cassius "I am the greastest" Clay.

Skelton and Kieth were very entertaining, and I truly enjoyed their writing, although I thought 95 percent of what they wrote was absolute B.S. written for entertainment purposes only.

But at least they weren't arrogant, self righteous and "founder and president for life," of their own fan club like Cooper.

rem33

I do feel that the current crop of writes are nowhere near the class of men, let alone writers, that the ld guys were

To often articles seem to be a long advertisement for whatever product the article is about. Not that is wasn't done years ago too but seems much more prevalent nowadays.