Gunsmith Recommendations (Bolt Rifles)

jackstrawIII

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations for a smith than can do some fairly straightforward work on a rifle build. We only have one “reputable” smith in our area and I’ve had two unfortunate experiences with him, so I’m looking elsewhere.

Basically, I’m looking to build a 6.5-06 on a stainless Winchester or Ruger action I’ll provide. Should be as easy as replacing the barrel and putting it all into a McMillan stock.

Who would you guys recommend for work like this? Again, I feel like this is really simple stuff, but nobody in my area (far upstate NY) can do it. I’m willing to ship the gun anywhere, as long as the work is good and somewhat reasonably priced.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dakota.potts

You're right that there should be a number of highly reputable gunsmith shops out there that can do this job for you. One that I know very well and can personally recommend is West Texas Ordnance. Great guys heavily involved in the precision rifle gunsmithing world. I'm assuming you want somebody to cut a rifle barrel blank to fit rather than installing a pre-fit barrel and maybe want the stock bedded?

My classmate. 17 year professional machinist before attending gunsmithing school. His lathe would make everyone at school drool. He aced all the machine shop classes and then went on to make more tools than any of the rest of us. He just quit a machinist job (needed it to pay some bills - so with those two years he should have almost twenty years as a professional machinist) so he should have more time. Tell Lew that Gary referred him. http://www.thronearms.com/

Lew didn't take the action blueprinting class, but I gave him my notes.

Scorch

We do that kind of work in our shop. Click the link for Summit Arms in my signature line if you want to get hold of me.