Gunsite 870

frontlander

Howdy. I picked up a nice 870 at the gun show today. The fellow had it marked at $540. The gun is an Remington 870 Express that has been cut down to 18". The gun came with MMC adjustable tritium ghost ring sights. The rear drilled and tapped onto the receiver and the front silver soldered. The forend is a Pachmayr rubber forend. The buttstock is Remington synthetic with a ventilated rubber recoil pad. A 6 round side saddle is attached to the receiver. There is a lime green follower in the stock length mag tube. The mag tube cap has a swing swivel stud. The safety is oversized. The trigger seems lighter than most 870s I've tried. The right side of the receiver is stamped GUNSITE with the Gunsite raven logo next to it. The seller claimed that the gun had been backbored. How would I check to see if this is true? I see that Gunsite offers a complete 870 for sale with all the fixins'. How would I tell if this was one of those guns? Does Gunsite mark all of the guns they work on with their logo? Thanks for any info you can give me about my new purchase.

frontlander

Thanks Erick for the information. I hate to sound like a dolt but...what is the difference between jug choking and Vang Comping? Can I tell which has been done by looking in the bore or measuring the bore?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
You don't sound like a dolt. Measuring the bore at various points will tell if it's overbored or jugged. Standard bore size is SUPPOSED to be .729". If it's much larger all the way from the forcing cone to near the muzzle it's overbored. If it's larger than that for a few inches near the muzzle it's jug choked.

Sounds like a nice piece, enjoy...

frontlander

Is there a marking I should look for somewhere to see if my gun is a Yost gun? He's the top dog at the Gunsite smithy, right? That would be pretty neat if he was the builder of my 870. I don't think I'm going to be selling this one, I've already used it to blast a couple of gophers on the way to work (rural Montana pastime) and I'm already falling in love with it. I'll have to pattern it so I can find out how it performs with 00 buck and group it with slugs.

KSFreeman

Will the armorer at Gunsite tell you? Just an idear.

Gophers let you get that close??? We have hedgehogs here, but they usually keep their distance.

Gosh, such a big, heavy gun. It probably just gets in the way. I'll bet the little woman wants a vacation or new clothes. Just one more gun in the safe. Shouldn't you use a .22lr for the gophers.

So, is it for sale?

frontlander

We've got a lot of gophers. Anything inside 35 yards is fair game with a shotgun. Sorry its not for sale but I know a guy who can get you one of those Chinese made copies that looks just like my shotgun for reel cheep...:D...its probably just as good.