Gunshow Find S&W Model 68-2 38 Spl LAPD marked

ATCDoktor

I saw this is covered up in the back of a Gunshow vendors glass case and figured I’d have a look:

The way it was positioned in his glass case the gun was mostly covered with large price tags and holsters, all I could see was the left side of the barrel marked 38 special and noticed the ejector rod shroud and thought “that ain’t right”.

I had the vendor show it to me and I went over it with a flashlight and magnifying glass and it all looked “right” but wanting to be sure about what it was I hauled out the smartphone and googled it up.

Sure enough there is a such thing as a S&W Model 68 and from what my Google fu was able to discern the California Highway Patrol and LAPD ordered these up (the bulk going to the CHP).

Here’s a link to an article that covers the history behind the S&W Model 68:

https://revolverguy.com/missing-link-smith-wesson-model-68/

Looks like around 6055 were produced and this one is one of the few that were sold by the LAPD Atheletic Club that has not had its single action capability disabled.

The vendor had the gun marked at $400.00 and try as I might I couldn’t get him to move on the price so I peeled out twenty 20 dollar bills and remitted his asking price.

The gun has some handling marks and appears to have been carried some and shot a little but for its condition I feel I didn’t get beat up too bad on the price.

In my world, its not every day you run across what is (for all intents and purposes) a S&W Model 66 with a 6” barrel for $400.00 out the door.

Granted, it’s chambered for 38 special (a 357 Magnum round will not chamber) but it’ll do for a shooter for sure (I can’t remember the last time I handloaded true 357 magnum loads).

It’s true what they say, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

ATCDoktor

Confirm there's no SA trigger on it and that it is DA only?

It’s has it’s single action capability.

It appears that the ones sold through the LAPD Athletic Club were not DAO and this is one of the few that were sold via the Club.

Eazyeach

Well done. There is no way that I’d let the dealer put that thing back in the case. Gotta love new gun day.

ATCDoktor

That should be deadly accurate with 158 round nose.

The reading I did on it was fairly enlightening with respect to the ammo that was issued with the gun.

It appears that the issue ammo for these was 110 grain plus P hollow points and (supposedly) the rear sight height was regulated for that round so I was concerned that I would be shooting way high at target ranges with my 158 grain LSWC handloads (the rear sight was cranked all the way down when I bought it).

I took it out this afternoon and shot it with my handloads and it printed 2” low at 25 yards (off the bench) with the rear sight cranked all the way down.

A few turns of the elevation screw had everything centered up and it was very accurate with groups running around 2” at 25 yards off a rest.

I was very happy to say the least and it’s a real sweet shooter.

CajunBass

I debated making it's own thread, but it fits in here so well.

This exact same thing happened to me, except it was at a local dealer.

The way it was positioned in his glass case the gun was mostly covered with large price tags and holsters, all I could see was the left side of the barrel marked 38 special and noticed the ejector rod shroud and thought “that ain’t right”.

I had the vendor show it to me and I went over it with a flashlight and magnifying glass and it all looked “right” but wanting to be sure about what it was I hauled out the smartphone and googled it up.

In my case it was a Model 19-8 marked as "38 Special." I saw the shrouded ejector rod and thought, "that ain't right." Out came the smart phone and my copy of SCSW showed that sure enough, there was such an animal, made in 2000 for a distributor RSR.

Of course it's a 4", round butt, Model 19, but the barrel is laser etched as "S&W 38 Special Cartridge." This one will chamber 357 cartridges however.

Searching found a lot of old threads on the Smith & Wesson forum about them. There doesn't seem to be any real agreement on them. There is some speculation that they were intended for the police market in South America, and the deal fell through, so they found their way into the American market. Some were chambered for 38, some for 357. Smith and Wesson does not recommend them for use with 357 though. Not a problem for me, since like the OP, I almost never fire any 357 ammo. Even my 357 brass is loaded about like a 38 P+. Paper targets don't take a lot of killing.

It's on layaway now. I paid less than the tag price, but more than the OP paid for his Model 68. I think that 68 was a steal myself. Congratulations to the OP. :) A set of round butt to square butt stock will replace those goodyears. No box or papers though. Darn.

This goes to prove the old saying, "Never say never with Smith and Wesson."

ATCDoktor

That is an awesome find as well and I would have done myself an injury reaching for my wallet to buy that one.

I do dearly love a blued (prelock) Smith & Wesson Model 19, it being marked 38 special would have been icing on the cake.

ThomasT

I like both of those guns. You guys did well. I especially like guns that are just 38 special. I could be perfectly well armed with just a 38 special. And all my reloading and casting stuff.:D

KyJim

Great find and, i'm sure, a great deal. I had no idea SW made a model 68 (or a model 19 in .38 spl). I have several SW revolvers but am not a true collector.