gunshop question...

std7mag

I have recently noticed another spate of handgun purchasing going on here in central PA.

This posed a question in my mind, which I thought I would pose to you good folks...

Is it illegal or un-ethical when you purchase said handgun, to load it on premises, and place in your holster at your side?

This is assuming that you have a permit to carry, or are allowed to carry open.

Thanks...

Std7mag

TheGunGuy

I work in a gun shop/range. We prohibit any weapon handling (except during the purchase or rental process) or magazine loading on the sales floor.

Not just no, but heck no. Sorry, but that's one slip away from an ND.

Yeah, yeah..."but I'm not that guy!" I don't know that.

For that matter, why would one want to do that? Without stripping, cleaning, and function-testing, it doesn't seem practical.

shortwave

For that matter, why would one want to do that? Without stripping, cleaning, and function-testing, it doesn't seem practical.

^^^This^^^

As well as...as the new owner of a 'new to me' firearm, it is my responsibility to take the time to familiarize myself with the firearm without ammo before loading up and setting off into the sunset. That would be best accomplished by doing the above operations that Tom Servo suggested.

Theohazard

std7mag said:
Is it illegal or un-ethical when you purchase said handgun, to load it on premises, and place in your holster at your side?
Illegal? Not in my state. And not in most that allow concealed carry. Unethical? Well, it's not necessarily unethical, but it's sure against most LGS's rules and most LGS employees will hate you for it.

See, for those of us who have worked at an LGS, we've come to expect the worst from people. Whether it's the guy who whips out his fully-loaded Glock and points it at the salesman's face to show him his faulty light, to the schizophrenic guy trying to load one round into the handgun he's holding without anyone noticing; we don't like customers handling loaded or possible loaded firearms.

Trust me; work at an LGS for a little while. After you've had customers point their loaded guns at you with their finger on the trigger you'll realize why we hate the idea of you loading up in the store.

thedudeabides

I was sitting in a gun shop waiting for the maddeningly long CBI approval process while buying a rifle when a customer entered the store holding a shotgun with live ammo in the side saddle wanting the clerk to check why the gun wasn't feeding properly (it was a semi).

The gun wasn't loaded, but wasn't in a case and had live ammo in the side saddle, leading everyone in the store (customers and clerks alike) to either seek cover or reach for their guns assuming the idiot had come in to shoot up the place.

PetahW

The practice is usally banned, because it's a pretty good way to rob (or worse) a gunshop.

Two of my LGS' have their clerks carry loaded handguns overtly, for just that reason.

power5

Every clerk at all the LGS around me always open carry. 1 person in the 4 I have visited does not. She is a cashier at the range desk. The guy working the desk with her does have his.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I'm not sure it qualifies as either illegal or unethical, but it certainly clears the hurdle on "bad idea." Even if the clerks don't OC, I operate on the assumption that they're carrying. Accordingly, I try not to make LGS clerks jumpy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
On the rare occasions I have drawn a gun in a gun shop, I have always shown my badge or ID and made sure it was OK with the owner/manager first.

Today, most gun shop owners and many clerks carry guns and know how to use them. So whipping out a gun or loading one in the store might be misunderstood and lead to an unfortunate situation, like the shop permanently losing a customer.

Jim

shortwave

On the rare occasions I have drawn a gun in a gun shop...

Have done the same as well(wanting questions answered etc.) and have always made the counter person aware of my actions prior to doing so by asking permission beforehand.
Too, if I was purposely going into the LGS with questions concerning my firearm and knew I would be asking someone to look at it, the firearm would be unloaded before I entered the store. I don't want to make the employees uneasy nor other customers nervous that happen to be in the store.

TheGunGuy

Have done the same as well(wanting questions answered etc.) and have always made the counter person aware of my actions prior to doing so by asking permission beforehand.

Too, if I was purposely going into the LGS with questions concerning my firearm and knew I would be asking someone to look at it, the firearm would be unloaded before I entered the store. I don't want to make the employees uneasy nor other customers nervous that happen to be in the store.

As an employee, I thank you for that. I am actually thinking about a vest when I work the rental counter. In the last two weeks I have had customers hand me a loaded pistol.

shortwave

Your welcome TheGunGuy.

I have been in LGS's as a customer when guys have pulled their ccw without warning/permission and it is an un-nerving thing for me as a customer. Can only imagine how many times it happens to the employee.

FWIW, when this happens, I find myself getting out of the store fairly quickly or at least get away from the guy that has done it. So when someone that is standing close to me clears leather without warning, it does not do the LGS any good business wise either as far as I'm concerned. To me, it is a rather rude act. Unfortunately, the employee does not always have that option. :(

But I have heard counter people politely suggest the proper way to present a firearm to those that needed the explanation when warranted. ;)

Too, if I was purposely going into the LGS with questions concerning my firearm and knew I would be asking someone to look at it, the firearm would be unloaded before I entered the store.
How I wish everyone had that courtesy! I truly wonder if the last words I'm going to hear on this earth will be "OMG I coulda swore it was unloaded."

What actually gets me are the people who get snippy or bark about me not respecting their rights when I tell them not to whip a loaded gun out in a public place.

shortwave

What actually gets me are the people who get snippy or bark about me not respecting their rights when I tell them not to whip a loaded gun out in a public place.

But yet they could care less about others rights as well. Almost with the selfish attitude of "my gun rights trump all your other rights or consideration".

I believe that in the retail industry , when it comes to this instance, I don't think the saying "the customer is always right" applies. If it does, I doubt I would last very long behind the counter with people mishandling loaded firearms in my direction. :eek:

Maybe a good video showing proper etiquette in firearm handling should be mandatory in every ccw licensing class.

std7mag

Thank you all for your responses!!!

I myself would never do that, it was just a thing that popped into my mind...

One of those "hadda ask" deals...

Std7mag

colbad

The answer to your query is normally posted on the door of the store. If it is not posted you are not in violation of anything. However, good manners would dictate that you ask the store guy if ok to unload, etc. He may say sure or send you outside to unload. Lot of times it just depends on if there are customers there. I know I am safe, but I do not like to see others fiddling around with loaded FAs next to me.

I once had a clerk say give it to me and I will clear it for you:eek: Politely told him that would not work for me. We agreed that I would just clear outside and then play with holsters.

If it is not posted you are not in violation of anything.
If it's not posted, the assumption is that one can carry in the store. Removing a loaded weapon from the holster is something altogether different.

In fact, people being cavalier about loaded guns is why many stores prohibit carry.