Gunshop discussion today, "you can only own one pistol, rifle, and shotgun"

Superhouse 15

We had a late night at the gunshop, security camera people are in installing new stuff. The conversation turned to the question before you now. Lets say a gun control law allows each adult to own only one pistol, one rifle, and one shotgun, what do you choose? We cussed and discussed conditions and there are lots of variables. Assume for the discussion the current definition of firearm, so in theory you could choose a TC Contender frame and have a dozen barrel sets, or one AR lower and unlimited uppers. I imagine Dan Wesson revolver sets will be in demand. One of our group was a local LEO, and, while he had strong opinions about what would happen if such a law forced us to turn in all but three, we assume that we must all remain obedient to the theoretical law, and you LEOs may assume your duty gun will be issued to you and your three choices are your personal guns.

I think the choices tell a lot about the shooter, what say you?

For my handgun I'll take a 1911 Combat Commander. With one receiver and a couple of extra barrels and slides I can have .45 Auto, .38 Super, 9mm, and .40 S&W.

Shotgun isn't an issue for me, as I'm not a shotgunner. Any basic pump in 12-gauge that's set up for home defense would be fine.

If I can have only one rifle? Tough call. There are a few I'd like to pick for mostly sentimental reasons, but for practicality I think I have to go with an AR-15. Can I have multiple uppers to switch caliber?

jackpine

1911 in 10mm with a 22lr kit and a SASS springfield single shot conversion or two

870 with three or four barrels

AR with a 22lr upper, 6.5 grendel upper, 458 socom upper, and a 416 barrett upper

youngunz4life

I'll keep my .44 henry rifle and my mossberg 500 shotgun. My handgun will be a CCW(as well as HD with the mossberg) that I am undecided on at this time.

lefteyedom

1911, moss 500, savage 110

Only three?
1911 government 45acp, with a 22lr conversion kit (shoulder stock)

Mossberg 500 12 guage with 3 barrels, rifled slug, 20" with screw in choke, blackpowder converson barrel

Savage 110, with two bolt heads and 4 barrels, 243, 308, 300 win mag, 338 win mag. (still thinking on the mag calibers)

Jamas

If I could only have three then I may as well simplify the ammo problem as well
Handgun: Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag.

Rifle: Winchester 1892 .44 Mag

Shotgun: Remington 870 12gauge

Gehrhard

Hmmm...
7-shot 5" S&W 686 Plus .357 Mag
Mossberg 500 Security Package: 28" screw-in-choke barrel, 18-1/2" security barrel.
AR-15 middy w/1:8 62 gr. leaning medium-contour NM barrel and Micor-fitted muzzle.
Gehr

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

My Springfield TRP 1911 would be my handgun. My rifle would be my Savage 7MM Rem Mag and my shotgun would be my Mossberg 500 12ga. All are accurate and reliable and each would serve a certain niche very well.

PDW292

Based on what i have now.

T/C Encore, would pick up some extra barrels
Remington 870 12ga
Ruger SRH 454casull

But if we were talking post apocalyptic world...
AR-15
Colt Delta Elite 10mm

Skans

Rifle: Para FAL. It's perhaps the most veritatile rifle a person can own. You can hunt almost anything with it. Its a proven battle rifle. It packs down small enough, and it is extremely durable and serviceable.

Shotgun: It's a toss up between my Beretta O/U 12 gauge and my USAS-12. Depends on what the world outlook is at that time.:D

Pistol: Well, if I can only have one, give me the Sig X-Five in .40 with adjustable trigger.

jcsturgeon

I think it's a silly premise, but I'll play along.

Out of all my guns my Beretta 92 FS is probably my favorite, then I'd take a Remington 870 12 ga pump. For the rifle? Maybe a Ruger Mini 14?

If I am sticking with guns I already own:
S&W M28 Highway Patrolman 4in.
1903 Springfield 30-06
Winchester Model 12, 12ga.

These will handle most of my needs although I would miss having a .22 rifle.