Guns in Anime

croyance

Anybody here watch a show called Cowboy Bebop? It is an anime show for adults (because it a plot, not the kind of anime with tentacles, thankfully).
It is interesting to me because the guns are drawn accurately. I've spotted a Browning HiPower, Glock, revolver (I don't know what brand), and Thompson Contender. Rare, since anime shows "firearms" with outsized barrels.
If you are interested, it is on the Cartoon network during their "adult swim". It is about futuristic bounty hunters.

Zundfolge

It's a great one (one of my fav anime) ... but if you want some anime with extremely accurate depections of guns (and cars) you gotta check out Gunsmith Cats.

It started out as a manga [comic book] but there have been some anime [animated cartoon] done.

here's a couple of sights
http://members.aol.com/rllyvncnt/gunsmith.html
http://www.gunsmith_cats.anime.org.uk/INDEX.HTML
http://the.animearchive.org/gunsmithcats/

guns4c.jpg

croyance

Zundfolge, thanks for the links. I had heard of Gunsmith Cats, but never checked it out. Gotta like any story line where one of the main characters uses a SIG 210, HiPower, and CZ-75.

Salt

Cowboy Bebop is great, I wish that the regular networks would carry these Anime shows on primetime.

Nightcrawler

I liked Cowboy Bebop so much I bought the complete series on DVD as a boxed set from Amazon.com. Great bargain. Some really cool gun fights in there, but there is abysmal gun handling (on the other hand, where are the Japanese writers and artists who made the show going to learn proper technique?). And apparently, in the future, cigarettes are good for your heart because just about everybody smokes.

Oh, yes, and Mars, as well as most of Jupiter's and Saturn's moons have all increased in mass so they have 1g of gravity, and have all been terraformed.

But on the other hand, it's not meant to be hard science fiction. It's meant to be cool, and it suceeds in that endeavor. :cool:

alpo

Two of my favorite subjects ... guns and anime

If memory serves, there's something for everybody in Cowboy Bebop. Spike Siegel carries a Jericho 941, Jet Black favors the Walther P99, and Faye Valentine shoves her Glock 30 up a nose or two.

croyance
re: Gunsmith Cats. If possible, watch the (superbly produced) DVD since you can pause it and catch some nice stills of animated guns. In particular you'll want to study Rally Vincent's "toy room." There's even a VP70 with shoulder stock used in auto mode. A DVD extra shows the anime's production staff conducting research in Chicago and spending time at an indoor range. Then buy the manga. The author, Kenichi Sonoda, depicts guns and their use in meticulous detail.

striderteen
re: Ghost in the Shell. If you're a Mateba fan, check out Trigun. The main protagonist, Vash the Stampede, uses one a lot.

Lee

Joe Demko

Don't forget to check out "Golgo-13: The Professional" and "Golgo-13: Queen Bee" for some nifty firearms. You'll see a nifty take-down M-16 (clearly Colt marked), S&W revolvers, Ingrams, and other goodies. Beware, both of these have a very strong sexual content and are not for kids or those offended by graphic nudity/sexuality.

Meowhead

Gunsmith Cats is great. The comic actually goes into great detail on the guns everyone carries and uses - the artist, Kenichi Sonoda, is just a bit obsessed.

Another good artist is Masamune Shirow, though he only deals with fictional weapons. One of his designs was a single-action semiautomatic chambered in 12ga.. :D It fired some sort of proprietary stun round.

Re: Trigun. I don't think that was a real revolver. :)

Archer1440

Was surprised to see a very nasty looking Condor Joe plinking with a properly rendered and functioning .357 Colt revolver (clearly marked) in the first Gatchaman OAV... a long closeup of the revolver, blasting bottles and cans in the desert, with both strong and support hand. Uses the same revolver on some Galactor goons in the final OAV as well.

Oddly anachronistic given the 2065 setting, but then again, he also is shown driving a Shelby Cobra...

They even got the round count right ! :D

Nightcrawler

Here are the guns I've positively identified in Cowboy Bebop:

IMI Jericho 941
Glock 30
Walther P99
Colt Series 80 (saw the "series 80 Mk" on the slide)
Browning Hi-Power
Beretta 92
Ruger P89 (can clearly see the Ruger logo on the grip)
HK USP 9 (can clearly see the HK logo, USP, and 9mmx19)
Steyr TMP
HK MP5K
HK G36
HK G3
IMI Uzi
Mossberg 6-shot 12 gauge (pistol grip only, short barrel)
MAC-10
Colt SAA or copy
S&W .357 (not sure which model, but you can clearly see the S&W logo on the side)
Either a Sweedish K or S&W 76 Submachine Gun

If the 1911 is still in production in 2071, that's 160 years of constant production. Not a bad run at all. :D

hksigwalther

The accurate depiction and detail of firearms, both current and potentially future, is what drew me to anime in the first place. My first and foremost favorite is Appleseed (Shirow rules). For good drawn pics of guns (and cars) try out (besides Gunsmith Cats) Riding Bean (predecessor to GC and introduced a blond version of Rally Vincent), Crying Freeman (R rated), Bubblegun Crisis, Dirty Pair (the manga, not the movies), and anything/everything else by Masanume Shirow.

Long Path

I've always wanted Leon McNichols' 3-shot earth-shaker revolver from Bubblegum Crisis/Crash. What were those? 14mm exploding rounds?

The end of Wizards (R. Bakshi [sp?] flick) features a Luger very prominently.