Guns for groceries

Yung.gunr

This weekend the city of Phoenix is doing a gun buy back for grocery store gift cards (puke). There is a large discussion to be had on the whole economy and grocery gift cards that I'm not going into here...

Anyway, I always hear guys suggesting to go down and buy the guns from the people instead.

Has anyone ever actually tried this? Any success?

2ndsojourn

No, I haven't tried buying any outside of a gun buyback venue, yet. But it got a bit of news coverage for the people that did at the buyback in Camden, NJ a while ago.

I have a broken, worthless, .32 revolver of unknown import that I intend to get some money for at one of the upcoming buybacks.

lcpiper

So Jan Brewer just signed a law into effect that says they can't destroy the guns they seize. I'll have to look into the way this is being done.

Are they trying to get a few in before the law is in effect?

Are the trading groceries for guns and selling guns for profit?

What are they trying to accomplish here?

This looks like the answer:
Last year, Brewer signed a bill into law that prevents guns from being destroyed if they're forfeited or seized, forcing their sale to authorized dealers.

This year's bill, House Bill 2455, does the same thing for guns acquired during gun-buyback events, specifically defeating the purpose of gun-buyback events, in which people turn over guns they don't want to local governments and police departments in an effort to get the guns off the streets.

The bill specifically bans agencies from "facilitat[ing] the destruction of a firearm," with certain exemptions, so it looks like this could affect Phoenix's program, recently announced by Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, in which the city works with a nonprofit, using private coin.

UPDATE: The law won't go into effect until after Phoenix's buyback program ends.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/04/jan_brewer_signs_bill_for_gun.php

lcpiper

I find it amusing that their hate for guns, an inanimate object, is so blind that they fail to see how these efforts to "get guns off the streets" are still subject to the general rules of economy.

Gun grabbers push for a "Buy Back".

X number of guns acquired and destroyed.

X number of guns no longer in the public domain making room for new guns to be made and sold.

Manufacturers see a higher level of gun demand then might otherwise be present.

Guns are cheaper to buy, manufacturers and dealers sell more guns.

I guarantee I will not be looking to buy a New Ruger GP100 for $750 if I can find a decent used Model 19 for $450.

Thank You Jan Brewer, you're a Doll :D

Yung.gunr

The most rediculous thing about the buy backs is they are always no questions asked. What better way to get rid of guns used in crimes.....

tynman

2ndsojourn There is a buy back going on today and tomorrow in Passaic... Im sure there will be a big cover story on that... But the problem with the buy back the criminals arent bringing there guns in. So the bad guns are not getting off the streets...

Yung.gunr I was thinking the same thing and offer them $25 more then the buy back... But I would have to know every type of riffle and hand gun made to know how it works and if it does work. Cause I wouldnt want to pay $275 for a wall hanger.....