Guns and the Appalachian Trail

lonegunman

A few questions about guns and the Appalachian Trail:

1. Are handguns permitted?

2. If not, would you carry one anyway while hiking on the trail for several days?

3. Since grizzlies are not a problem, would 357 mag handle any others (black bear, cougar, etc) that might want a piece of my hiney?

Borf

The Appalachian Trial itself is a collection of land through various places that the Appalachain Trail Conference has secured rights to route the trail. The conference is a private organization. The trail runs through various state parks, federl parks, federal forests and private land. You're going to fall under a bazillion different sets of rules and regs as you wander along it, and I'm assuming most of the ones in any kind of park ( a good bit of the trail) are specifically no firearms.

You may have to limit yourself to private land portions in states where legal, etc. Keep in mind the trail is not at all remote. You will be passing numerous people every day, and sleeping with up to 20 every night at the designated shelter platforms in some parts of the trail. Your gun will have to be concealed if you want to avoid trouble.

Also - from what I've heard and read, the number one danger to your life on the trail is other humans.

All that aside, I think a stout .357 load with a good heavy bullet will serve just fine from Georgia to Maine.

at2000

The Appalachian Trail (otherwise known as the at) crosses many areas where handguns are prohibited, even if you have a valid CCW. A few examples in my home state of Virginia (the state with the most miles of the at): in southwest Virginia, the at loops through Grayson Highlands State Park. Also, about 100 miles of the trail are in Shenandoah National Park.

As a separate matter, weight is everything in backpacking. I would not want to (and do not) carry a handgun when backpacking on the at.

Ultimately, it's a personal decision.

Point Blank

Although i have no CCW permit i would have my trusty freind in its holster under my shirt.Too many critters lurking up in them mountains, plus a two legged critter named Eric Rudolf??,the "olympic park bomber" is thought to be still hiding up in them thar hills with over 1 million dollars for his capture.:p

md2lgyk

I live within spitting distance (literally) of the AT in West Virginia. I've never hiked it but wife has a couple of times. If I ever do, I'll be armed, guaranteed. Just too many crazies out there - one or two people are murdered on the trail every year.

Navy joe

Coming from the Shenandoah region, no guns are allowed in the park. However, when I hike I carry, usually a 1911, thinking of getting a Ti Taurus for weight. Why? #1, Feral dogs. Big problem. #2 lots of hikers have just disappeared. a few years ago before I moved to the flatlands a couple of pairs of lesbian hikers came up dead every year. Sad that predators on two legs exist like that. #3, Because I can! That said also consider that the trail winds through several commie paradises like NY and Mass. Be discreet. Down south I'd probably carry openly. The Eric Rudolph thing, I totally disagree with what he did(IF HE DID IT), but that said I'd probably shake his hand and keep on hiking if we met.

KPS

I hiked the AT from GA to ME in 1998.Many of the parks I went through did not allow firearms.I have to say that the thru-hikers I met on the trail were the friendliest folks you'll ever meet in your life.The only problems we had to worry about were rowdy locals in some towns we passed through and we made sure we camped at sites at least a mile away from a road.I personally never had a problem and I only carried a Spyderco knife.I've heard of hikers getting attacked by dogs but I hiked with Leki poles and they could keep a dog at bay if needed.The AT is probably one of the safest places in the U.S. As far as bears go, as long as you keep your food tied up in a tree away from your site, you should be bothered by them.The only bears I encountered were those that had been picking food scraps out of a dumpster.

Kentucky Rifle

When I was healthy enough...

..I used to camp at Mt. Pisgah, right outside if Ashville, NC. If it isn't on the Trail, it surely is close. Guns weren't allowed in the park, but I always snuck my S&W along in a backpack. It was a good pace to camp. It even had cold water restrooms. One night, my wife went to he restroom. As I was waiting for her, the Coleman ran out of gas. On the way to put another gas bottle on, I heard a bear in the bushes. A VERY CLOSE BEAR. Even though I knew it couldn't be a Griz, I was scared shXXless! I didn't know whether to run for my gun, try to install a gas bottle on the Coleman, or climb a tree. I decided to just stand very still. When my wife got back (who inicdentally can see in the dark like a cat),
she said what's the matter with you? I said, "Oh nothing". Didn't tell her for years.

KR

Doug S

My family and I like to spend time in our local section of the Appalachian Mountains. I've posted questions on this forum concerning the legalities of CCW in state parks, etc. I've decided that in the future I will probably carry while hiking and I will most certainly have a gun with me while camping. It's interesting to note that the alleged serial killer and his accomplice recently arrested in Ohio (killed something like 6 + women) were targeting women in Ohio's state parks (Ohio has no concealed carry at all). One of the things that prompted to me to really think about CCW in state parks was an experience I had recently while hiking with my two young children and my wife. We were hiking along some trails and a man with a large Boxer (dog) kept reappearing no matter how far we hiked or how many changes of direction we made. This was probably very innocent, but it does cause one to consider the possibilities of what could happen in these remote areas.

Bullitt

I would carry, a fine is much better than being dead. I have carried on part of the A.T., back when they used to allow horses. The bear and cougars are the least of your worries, its the people you come in contact with. I would just be prepared.

Digger

My philosophy for carrying, no matter what:

-If you can't see other law abiding people
-If you yell for help, and nobody comes

That being said, I make sure to carry while camping/backpacking and while driving rural roads or highways. My wife doesn't like guns, but more than once while camping she's asked me if I had my revolver before going to sleep.:p

When you're all alone, YOU are responsible for your own safety.

I'm not worried about the four legged critters, it's the two legged ones that make me worried.

I carry in a Jansport fannypack. I can put my Taurus Ultralite in the main compartment and reloads and gun lube in the smaller compartment. Nobody knows what's in the case if I don't open it, or finger it too much.

Happy Camping!!!!

Jamie Young

I had a freaky incedent on the AT when I was 15. It was totally like a "Stand By Me" hiking trip. We ran into a nut case that stalked us for a whole day. We all had BB Guns and stayed up all night wondering if the nut was going to try and Rob us or Kidnap us.

Ever since then I swore I would never go up there again without a gun.

I can confirm Navy Joe's story about the two Lesbians that disappeared. Somebody killed two women but let their dogs live. About a half dozen people get killed every year hiking on the AT in the North East.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
AFAIK, none of the states through which the AT passes make any exemption from their handgun laws for trail hikers. This is in addition to any park land rules and game laws.

In some of the AT states, you might get a stiff prison term, not a fine for illegal carry. If you are scared by the overblown news accounts, of crime on the AT, then do as you want. But realize that if you are caught, even if you had to defend yourself, you could be in big trouble.

As always whether legal or illegal, discretion counts. If you are the type to wave a gun around, scream about your rights, and threaten everyone in sight, you can expect to have problems.

Jim

Flattop

I've hiked and camped the AT through parts of PA and almost all of NJ. Never had a problem, but then the way me and my hiking partner look people and wild life stay away from us. Never carried a gun but I do carry on my hip belt a 16 oz. can of bear spray (good for people too). When camping the spary is always within reach as is my survival knife. My wife and kids laught at me but I purposely dress to intimidate when I'm not at work. It's part of the mind set of not being a victim. If you look vulnerable, more than likely you are vulnerable, and always be aware of your surroundings.

First line of defense: Early warning system.

Type: Canine.

BTW, if you can't carry a gun, how about a flaregun? They're great for signaling for help.;) Just don't set the forest on fire.

Poodleshooter

Last time I hiked the AT in Shenandoah NP in VA, we had 2 near encounters with a black bear (encountered it 2x, but it was probably the same bear). Just some food for thought