Guns and Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

vito

I wonder how many gun rights supporters are also motorcyclists. It seems to me that someone who beleives in the concept of self responsibility rather than counting on the police for all forms of protection, would also be the type person who would enjoy riding despite the higher risk (compared to driving in a car or truck). Where I live, in northern Illinois, there is a movement in the County to push for a concealed carry ordinance (not allowed under Illinois state law) and at a public hearing on the issue it looked like an awful lot of motorcyclists (based on appearance and some comments).

chris in va

I've been riding for 3 years. Generally speaking, I find the folks that ride longer distances tend to pack more often. I carry every time I go out on the bike, whether it's to the store or on a long trip.

hoytinak

I've been into guns/shooting for 15 years, had my CHL for about 8 years and just got my first motorcycle at the beginning of this summer. I carry while running around town or a longer road trip too.

Majic

I have been swinging a leg over the seat for better than 30 years now and shooting for over 40 years. Sometimes I carry and sometimes I don't.

Hemicuda

got my first gun from my Dad at 5 years of age... got my first motorcycle (dirtbike) from him that same summer... both were beat up used things... I still have that gun, and my god-child has the bike... that was 33 years ago...

I still have a bike or 2 around, and ride regularly... usually while packing a handgun...

I have been riding for about 36 years now...which is about the same amount of time I have been shooting. I started riding regularly when I was 6 years old. I rode motocross as a kid and that expanded to a love of street bikes as an adult. In fact, for the vast majority of my early adult years I owned a motorcycle instead of a car.

When I met my current spouse I only owned a motorcycle but he talked me into trading it for a VW Beetle because my daily riding in the city scared him. I went 14 years with no bike of my own but he finally caved in and let me buy a new one (Kawasaki KLR650) a last year.

I have primarily been a street cruiser guy my whole life but my newest bike (bought this year) is more of a hybrid racer style. It is a 2008 Kawasaki Versys.

Versys1.jpg

Overlook3.jpg

road6.jpg

grymster2007

Lay off the Penguin. :mad: Not your business or mine and the mods won't tolerate you making an issue out of it. Beside's, he's good people!

I have three motorcycles and a quad stuffed in the garage. One more would mean the wife's car wouldn't fit, so that's it. I ride the Harley whenever I can, but no permit in lovely California, so no carrying.

In fact, just walked in the door from a six hour ride up through the delta with my son and my brother. Beautiful ride. Life's good! :)

Shorts

dtemplar - YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE. SHUT IT.

I am a rider and a gun owner....ok ok, you got me, I have neither. I just sold my bike (I'll miss you my sweet) for the move and my gun awaits my return.

One day we shall all be together!

ColtCommander.jpg

mybike.jpg

DSCN2673.jpg

Hey PBP, how are you liking that bike? I saw its release and it was certainly interesting. What's it like living with? I'm shopping/researching my next bike, it will be a Sport Naked.

VonFireball

I'd prefer to keep it on topic, gentlemen.

There is a place and time for everything.

Right now is a place for motorcycles.

I've ridden for 8 years or so now.

normal_bike_semi_final_0081.jpg

It's a combination of the coolest parts I came across in the past few years. I modified and or removed nearly everything on the bike.

Billet Struts.

TT pipe exhaust system.

Digital Ignition.

Flatslide carburetors.

Bike is a 1978 Yamaha XS650.

Worst part is, it's time for me to part ways with it.

I have to many gun projects that I'd like to finish.

Hey PBP, how are you liking that bike? I saw its release and it was certainly interesting. What's it like living with? I'm shopping/researching my next bike, it will be a Sport Naked.
I can honestly say it is the best bike I have ever owned. Coming from cruisers it was quite a bit of getting used to but it has been worth it. These sport style bikes are just so very fast. I had no idea they were such screamers. All my big block cruiser style bikes with engines almost twice the size would be specks in my rear view mirror in no time on this thing. I really love how you sit on top of the bike and sit so high up. Comparing the way this bike feels to a Harley is like the difference between sitting on a cart behind a horse and sitting up on the horse itself.

The bike itself is so very well designed. It is powerful (cruises at 75mph and will go from that to over 100mph with a small twist of the wrist in no time flat), rides like a dream on paved roads, handles dirt roads like a dream, and has a unique look to it.

Shorts

Nice. It looks very nimble and comfortable for trips. I think that's the real appeal to Sport Standards/Nakeds. Comfortable ergos w/performance fun. I read you had a KLR650 for a while. That bike is no slouch either.

I read you had a KLR650 for a while. That bike is no slouch either.
It was amazing off roads and in town but a bit of a challenge on highways. It did not have the rock solid stability of the Versys nor the get up and go. :)

Bud Helms

I started riding when I was 14 years old. I am 61 now and rode 215 miles today. I started in the dirt. Changed over to street bikes at 20 years old. Went to HD when I was 25. 'Been riding Harleys ever since. I counted up the times I did not have a bike in my possession a few months back. Since I was 14, I have been without a motorcycle a total of nearly two years ... months here, weeks there, a day or two there. My wife is positive that I am quite mad.

I started carrying when riding about 21 years ago. Carrying on a motorcycle, safely and keeping it available for the unexpected, is no small challenge.

I started carrying when riding about 21 years ago. Carrying on a motorcycle, safely and keeping it available for the unexpected, is no small challenge.
On a bike I prefer fanny pack carry...if not that then a shoulder holster. If I wear a belt holster it has to have a retention system. :)

orionengnr

Started riding dirt bikes at age 12 (Briggs and Stratton mini-bikes before that).
I'll celebrate :rolleyes: my 52nd birthday in a week or so, so let's round it off at 40 years of riding and well over 60 motorcycles. :)
I've been known to have four or five at any given time ( I think the record is seven, but who's counting?), but I'm down to one right now--a Honda GL1800 Gold Wing that I have put about 35,000 miles on in the last five years. That Versys looks intriguing, but I like Shorts' naked VTR even better. :)
My first love is 600 SuperSport bikes--I spent ten years racing at the amateur level and consider the latest 600 SS to be the highest evolution of the species. I no longer possess the focus (nor am I willing to make the sacrifices in comfort) to ride one of these weapons daily. I can (and do, and probaly always will) lust after the latest/greatest 600, though. :)

I've owned a V-Twin or two, and ridden a bunch of others. The VTR1000/RC51 is my favorite so far, although the Suzuki TL/TL-R 1000 was pretty cool too. I have a friend with a Ducati 848 that he swears by, but I have not ridden it yet (he lives in FL, and I in TX).

The Yamaha XS 650 was a blast from the past--I recognized it right away from the front wheel and the engine architecture (Enfield tank notwithstanding). I owned two of those XS650s long ago. Cool bikes, did a great centerstand pirouette at idle :)

Back OT, being a Texan, I carry everywhere it is legal to do so. :)

flight954

I've been on two and four (dirt/water/street) wheels for 20 years. 4 quads, 2 wave runners, a dirt bike, and 2 street bikes. My current is a Suzuki DR650 dual sport. Once a motorcyclist it stays in your blood. Kinda like collecting firearms. Great looking Kawi PBP

Status
Not open for further replies.