Guns and family values

SIGSHR

Wish I'd had a video camera for this one, it would have driven the gun grabbers and liberals wild. At a range I saw a father taking his son shooting for the first time (I think), he made sure the youngster had ear protection
plus that range has one of those "Chipmunk" (or whatever make it is) .22 rifles
for the youngsters.
(PS-they were black.)

rhgunguy

Boss, it think that SIGSHR is pointing out that liberals would be p-oed to see a father teaching his son to shoot. Liberals get worried when fathers teach their sons anything. Don't those fathers know that teaching is the responsibility of public schools packed with liberal teachers? If fathers start teaching their younguns, it might interfere with the brainwashing.

Furthermore, the fact that the two were African-American would further confuse liberals because it demonstrates the wide acceptance and appeal of gun ownership accross all races, creeds, colors and religions.

Edward429451

Say what? You seen a black man teaching his black son to shoot and equate it with family values...?:eek:

How'd YOU escape the brainwashing?:D

That's cool.:cool:

tony pasley

it is a beautiful thing seeing a father and son out shooting together. Have had the fun of teaching my sons and daughters to shoot

The other day at the range a guy i know from trap club had two of his step-grandkids from florida with him. One was a "valley girl" type and the other was a teenage latino fellow. they were shooting .22s but had alot fother stuff there they werent shooting.

I had a new Romy G AK i had just gotten to try out. I was talking with them and they said they forgot ear plugs. I walked back to my car and gave them all some extra faom plugs i kept in my trunk. Both kids were genuinly surprised to see me just give them away.

I went over and did my shooting and came back about 20 minutes later. the grandpa was trying to teach the girl how to hold and shoot a .22 pistol but wasnt doing a very good job (he's about 80 years old). He knows i shoot alot of handgun and asked me to give her a few pointers. I showed her proper grip and dynamic tension and how to squeeze the trigger with the pad of her finger.

She was a littel ditzy at first but got the hang of it. the boy was looking over my Ak pretty hard and i gave him a coupel mags to burn through. He asked me if i wanted money for ussing it. I said no, have a good time. He siad thanks and walked over to the rifle range. the girl menawhile wanted to shoot something bigger and i loaned her my glock 17.

She shot about 30 rounds and asked grandpa if she sould try his revolver. He went to his pickup and pulled out a Ruger .44 Mag! I figured one or two and thatd be all she wrote. She commenced to fire a whole 50 round box and siad that this gun fits me good. Il have to get mom to buy me one when i get home!

The boy came back with a mile wide smile and a empty rifle. I took him over to my car and pulled out my AR-180B and asked if he wanted to try that out. He nodded and i gave him a couple mags for it too. He said thanks and went back to shooting. The grandpa was shooting an old M1 carbine (inland mfg number matching ;) ) And everybody was having a good time.

Now normally i dont get a chance to mix much with other races. I live in a predominatnly white community on the edge of an indian reservation. So i see white and indian. The latino boy was polite and said thank you and acted like a good kid. totally non sterotype for latinos. When we were done shooting both kids shook my hand and said they were glad to have met me and thank you for letting us shoot your guns. I said no problem. They both said this was the first time they had ever shot real guns in thier lives and they intended to do it as they could when they got home.

They seemed genuinly impressed that someone they had just met would hand over his own guns to let them try out just cause they asked to, for free and with ammo to boot. I guess i consider it money well spent. To get back on topic this incident taught me that anybody can be into shooting even if they;ve never done it before and no matter what race they are. This is what scares the liberals the most. the simple fact that a day at teh range can be a fun, family activity that creates bonds between parents and kids and makes them generally safer people.

That and the fact that somewhere in florida there lives a girl who can outshoot most men (me included) with a .44 magnum! :D

SW

springmom

Sw....

...PLEASE break up your post into smaller paragraphs. I have a real hard time reading that much unbroken text on this board.

Thank you.

Springmom

tegemu

SW, it would have been nice if somehow us Floridians could continue their positive experience when they got home.

springmom

Yes!!!!

Thanks, SW. I wouldn't have missed that story for the world, but huge blocks of text just are too hard these old eyes these days. Glad you did that, that gave me my boost for the morning.

What you did is a model for all of us shooters. When we let folks try our guns, when we're helpful without being pushy or overbearing (especially with kids) we make friends of the 2A for life, and give kids something really great to be interested in.

I hope when I get my .44 mag I can shoot it as well as she did, LOL!!!

Springmom

hot sauce

I try to do the same thing. When I was 18 a guy at the range let us shoot his Glock. It was the first time I had ever shot a handgun. After that range trip longuns kind of lost their appeal to me and I was turned on to handguns for life.

springmom

Well, then, Hotsauce, you need to get somebody to let you shoot a really fine 30-06 so you can get back your balance. (I like shooting both too much to choose).

Springmom

Vitamin G

Wish I'd had a video camera for this one, it would have driven the gun grabbers and liberals wild. At a range I saw a father taking his son shooting for the first time (I think), he made sure the youngster had ear protection
plus that range has one of those "Chipmunk" (or whatever make it is) .22 rifles
for the youngsters.
(PS-they were black.)

Wow... I just realized what an idealist i am. Until i read the posts that followed the original, i thought you were saying it the .22 rifles for the youngsters were black, because it would PO the liberals to teach a kit to shoot with a black rifle.

On second thought... maybe that shows how jaded I am. I hate second guessing myself.

deanadell

On the oposite side of this...too often I see youngsters at the range relegated to stnading back behind the bench in an "onlooker" role :rolleyes:

Two weeks ago I was at the range working with my two new Blackhawks and 2 twenty something fellows showed up to sight in their deer rifles with their 12 yr old cousin in tow, and didn;t even bring a .22 for the kid to shoot. He eventually gravitated over to me to strike up a conversation because he was obviously bored stiff, being a young gun enthusiast having to watch his older cousins.....I asked them if they minded if I let the boy shoot my pistols....they looked at me like I had three heads but nodded, so he and I commenced to burning up about 100 rounds of .38 spl. ammo. Kid probably needed a plastic surgeon to get the smile off his face that afternoon.

This is not the first time this has happened, and I usually take a .22 rifle with me and a couple boxes of cheap ammo when I go to the range because I will eventually see someon with a kid in tow shooting their cannon whiel the kid stands back looking on.....Oh Well....makes me feel good anyway:)

FS2K

Just to illustrate the laid back attitude of the islands...

I thought you were talking about the Chipmunk Rifles when you said:

"(PS-they were black.)"

:D

That's a cool Dad.

VUPDblue

When I got 'chastized' today and had to hang up the 9mm carbine (the only gun I brought) the guy shooting an early 19th century museum-piece flintlock next to me offered to let me touch-off a few with his. I explained to him my personal rule against shooting someone else's rifle which is worth more than my truck, he said he only offered because he really wanted to shoot my carbine, so I said OK. Darn grin is still on my ugly mug! I always like making new friends at the range...

GreyFox

awesome job S Wolverine :) , just like my signature says,... except its extended family... The grandfather started bouncing the ball but clearly SW you put it in the net, awesome.

enikkor

Stereotypes> etc

It is common to associate gun grabbers and liberals and people in the left of the political spectrum. However in some rural part of the midwest, where
gun owners and hunting are very common, it is a way of life irregardless
of political leaning. In our county 40% are Republicans about 40% are
Democrats and the rest declared themselves independents but almost
99% are gun owners. It is very common to see fathers teaching their sons
and daughters to shoot in the gun ranges here, and statistically, 60% of
them are not right wingers or conservatives. Shooting is just a way of life
here! About half of them voted for Tom Daschle.

marlboroman84

Not to get all mushy or anything on here, but what the heck here goes. When I was little we had about 25 acres of good ole country land in Mississippi. My dad split when I was 6 so it was just me,Mom, and the grandparents(they had a house a little ways back on the property). My Grandfather was former Army, a LEO for several years, and while never a big hunter, he loved to shoot. Some of my earliest memories are of him and I shooting his old Savage .22 at tin cans in the woods.

When I was 9 I got my first "gun" from him for Christmas. The all American,must have for every young boy.....the Daisy Red Ryder air rifle. According to my Mom it was the only time he ever actually went out and purchased a gift for someone,including my mom and my uncle.

When I was 13 he gave me my first two real guns. A Savage single shot .410 and a Savage 12 gauge pump. They are both in pristine condition. One day these guns will be my child's.

On to the kinda sad note my Grandfather is ill now as he has cancer and needs a pacemaker. He can't shoot anymore because of the arthritis in his hands and obviously just not feeling up to it.

All that being said, the memories of him teaching me to shoot will always be with me and I hope I can share that with my children someday. It's not just about the practical applications of a firearm,but the teaching of responsibility,maturity, and the bonding of parent and child in a hobby you can both enjoy.

+1 to anybody who would take the time to teach another to shoot and bring something special to them. Alright I'm done being sentimental now.:(