Guns and Cameras

Teuthis

For years, most high quality cameras were bulky and heavy affairs. One often wished one had a camera at hand to capture some special moment, but it was left at home because it was too big and heavy. Now we have 12 megapixel miniatures, with Leica lenses that fit into the palms of our hands. We carry them everywhere.

I wonder if the same may happen to pistols, now that so many people are gaining the ability to carry concealed firearms? Might we look back to earlier times when the lesser calibers were not denegrated as popguns or useless toys? Might we see those minor calibers coming back to us in the form of high quality, concealable firearms?

Imagine a Smith and Wesson Airlite in a .32 (not magnum) designed for a revolver. Or how about a 30 luger or .32 acp in a light, handy semi-auto that fits into a pocket with ease? About the most effective, concealed weapon I ever carried was a Browning High Power in 30 Luger. And they can get smaller than the Browning for sure.

I think there is room, and possibly a real future for lesser calibers made by major manufacturers for the CCW arena. Better a reliable, small-caliber pistol in your pocket than a .45 ACP at home in a drawer. I wish I could carry my Kimber, but for me, it is too heavy and noticeable for CCW; especially in summer.

I also once carried a Walther PPKS in .32 caliber and I am considering another now for my CCW use. The butt is bigger than that on my S&W Airlite T, but it shot better. And I can fit it into my pocket. Who knows?

Shadi Khalil

I don't think we need to drop down to smaller cailbers, I think the larger calibers will natually be fit into smaller and smaller frames. Right now the R9 is pretty much ahead of the game when it comes to small pocket autos in a good size caliber. Kahr is also make them pretty small and 1911's are getting smaller and smaller as the new guns come out. However, I think people will always carry what we consider today to be compact and meduim frame handguns. Somethings you cant comp. for with tech, like sight radius and muzzle rise. I think the biggest challange is getting these tiny autos to fuction like the bigger guns; Not being so finicky with ammo and maybe more durable parts.

HoraceHogsnort

For the life of me I cannot figure out why people get a CCW in order to protect themselves from criminal attack and then want to arm themselves with handguns that have poor records for stopping criminals. If your life is worth saving then its worth the "inconvenience" of pack'n a bigger gun.

Shadi Khalil

If your life is worth saving then its worth the "inconvenience" of pack'n a bigger gun

I think carrying a larger firearm is a better idea, but any gun is better then no gun.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why people get a CCW in order to protect themselves from criminal attack and then want to arm themselves with handguns that have poor records for stopping criminals.

I don't think I've ever heard of a handgun that has a poor record of stopping a criminal attack. You could say that of calibers but even then you would have to go by data on what LEO have used, which is a limited number of calibers since they started keeping stats on that sort of thing...You can say that small calibers do have a strong track record on the street for stopping power, considering so many murders are commited everyday with small caliber handguns.

ghalleen

It comes down to what you'll carry.

If it's a hot summer day, there's no way I'm going to wear a jacket to cover my 1911. Not to mention the fact that the 1911 is heavy enough to pull down my shorts...

I'd rather have a small gun on those days, because the alternative would be to go unarmed entirely.

The chances are slim we'll need to use our handgun for protection anyway, but I want some protection in case it does. While I prefer my .45 or .357, on some days I'll settle for a .380 or .32. It's still better than a rock I can find on the street!

parrothead2581

For the most part, I carry a Gov't Model 1911.

On those days where I just don't feel like haulin' that heavy pistol around, or when it's just not practical, I will carry a S&W 442. Few excuses to not carry that one.

I am confident in both the .45acp and the .38spl to do their job, if I do mine.

pesta2

Now we have 12 megapixel miniatures, with Leica lenses that fit into the palms of our hands.

I still like my Graflex and 120s but I like my little Kel-Tec .380. I am going bigger cameras and littler Firearms.:confused:

KyJim

Or how about a 30 luger or .32 acp in a light, handy semi-auto that fits into a pocket with ease?
Several in .32 acp to choose from -- Seecamp, NAA, Beretta Tomcat. NAA developed a .32 NAA caliber which is an increase in power over .32 acp. In .380 caliber, you have choices not much difference in size as the .32s -- Seecamp, Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec.

There are also .25s and .22s, but even excluding these, it seems there are a number of choices that fit your criteria. If you go revolvers, you increase your choices even more.

Don H

Teuthis said:
Better a reliable, small-caliber pistol in your pocket than a .45 ACP at home in a drawer. I wish I could carry my Kimber, but for me, it is too heavy and noticeable for CCW; especially in summer.
As we speak (so to speak) there is a .45ACP in the pocket of my jeans. For me, the best of all worlds.

stephpd

small guns

Not a mouse gun but a rat gun. Taurus PT145 10+1 in a smart carry under swim trunks. Concealed and doesn't pull down my pants.;)

BillCA

I have found it interesting that many people will embrace the .32 ACP cartridge while denegrating the .32 S&W Long over the lack of 10 foot-pounds. Both the .32 H&R and .327 Magnum are more effective than the ACP round. Even the .32 Long can be an effective fightstopper, especially at close range with a full wadcutter load.

But I think you won't see a resurgence of small calibers anytime soon. The size difference between a .38/9mm caliber handgun and a .32 caliber handgun has been shrinking for years. With few exceptions, there's almost no reason to select a sub .380 caliber firearm over a larger cartridge.

The .32 H&R Mag and .327 Mag are the exceptions. Both have been poorly marketed and not very well received by the gun media writers. But the .32 H&R produces more energy than the .380 ACP (20-30 ft-lbs more) and the .327 Federal Magnum produces more energy than a 9mm (from 20-150 ft-lbs more).

The revolver cartridges aren't suitable for a small semiauto pistol, of course, due to their rims and long lengths. Someone could "invent" a 9mm necked down to .32 caliber but I suspect any perceived advantages might disappear with the light 60 to 75 grain bullets which tend to stop too soon.

Baba Louie

Someone could "invent" a 9mm necked down to .32 caliber but I suspect any perceived advantages might disappear with the light 60 to 75 grain bullets which tend to stop too soon.
I thought NAA had done that very thing w/ their .32NAA round (well, a 9mm short). CorBon's 60 gr sliding along at 1200 fps, 190 ft/lbs, 8" penetration... it's gotta smart when it hits ya. Maybe make ya rethink that whatever it is you're doing hurts a tad bit and perchance you ought to go do something else for a spell??? Like get to a hospital ER?

But compared to the .327 magnum, it is not quite sam ting.