Gunbits.com--the worst/dangerous gun web site ever?

Jim Watson

About to the same degree when a young man at the range asked what kind of rifle was my M-1 Garand

I was looking for a good picture of the 1903 sight (actually a 1904 design, the original 1903 sight was dropped along with the ramrod bayonet) and found a site with this wisdom:

https://gunsbit.com/how-to-use-1903-springfield-sights/

"What is the On/Off Lever on a 1903 Springfield?

The on/off lever on a 1903 Springfield is the lever that controls the flow of gas to the gun. When the lever is in the “on” position, gas flows from the gas port into the chamber, and when the lever is in the “off” position, gas flow is blocked. The purpose of this lever is to allow shooters to safely clean their gun without having to discharge any rounds.

The Springfield 1903 is a bolt-action rifle that was used extensively by the United States military during the early 20th century. The rifle was designed by John C. Garand, who also designed the M1 Garand rifle that would replace it in service. The 1903 Springfield has a five-round internal magazine and can be fitted with either a bayonet or a scope.

Additionally, the rifle was not equipped with a bayonet lug, meaning that soldiers had to carry a separate bayonet if they wanted one. "

DaleA

Jim Watson Post #58---I think the lady in question here is Miss Information.

Wow. Even I'm amazed that this stuff is out there. There is a place to post comments on the page. Did you correct them? I might not bother and just consider them hopeless.

That said, here's their mission statement.

The main goal of this website is to deliver you the vital information about guns and its accessories.

Our mission is to provide gun enthusiasts with the information they need to make informed decisions when building their next set up. We believe that everyone has the right to purchase a guns that meets their specific needs and budget.

We understand that the process of choosing a gun can be overwhelming, so we have created a comprehensive guide that covers everything from the different types of guns available on the market to the factors you should consider when making your decision.

I love hunting, and I require firearms to achieve my objectives. As a family man, I have taught my family about the safe use of firearms. Having sons and a daughter with firearms around can be quite disastrous if they are not handled properly. This is not what any family man would want. This is why we have created our website to help people solve their gun related problems.

We hope that our website will serve as a valuable resource for you as you shop for your new gun. Thank you for choosing Gunsbit!

DaleA

Just to pile on, on the site mentioned in post #58 is also this info:

Cocking a pistol is the process of drawing the hammer back into position against the firing pin. This is done by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer in a rearward position. The result is a “click” sound as the sear engages and locks the hammer in place.

I'm starting to question if this is a real site or not.

Jim Watson

Even worse, that is actively dangerous.

It is a real site in that it shows on a search and comes up on screen.
But it is full of arrant nonsense. I pity the novice that might swallow that stuff.

Jim Watson

It just keeps getting worse. Here are the more egregious entries in the first half

.22LR pistol is a very popular firearm among shooters. Many people believe that you can shoot 22 long rifle bullets in a .22LR pistol without any problems.

However, this is not the case. You should never shoot 22 long rifle bullets in a .22LR pistol. The reason why is because the bullet will not have enough power to cycle the action of the pistol, and as a result, the gun will malfunction.

Additionally, the pressure from firing a .22LR bullet in a pistol can cause serious damage to the gun and potentially injure the shooter.

The gas pedal on a pistol is a small device that helps to regulate the amount of gas that is released when the gun is fired. It is located on the back of the gun, just above the trigger. The gas pedal helps to control the recoil of the gun, as well as the muzzle…

If you have a 9mm pistol, you can shoot 380 ammunition in it. The 9mm is a much larger caliber than the 380, so the 380 will fit perfectly into the chamber of the 9mm. You may notice that the recoil is slightly different with the 380 ammo, but it will not be enough to cause any problems.

The 9mm Luger is a very popular handgun round, and many people want to know if it can be used in a .40 S&W firearm. The answer is yes, it can be done safely. The 9mm Luger has slightly higher pressure than the .40 S&W, but the difference is not enough to cause any problems in most firearms.

In fact, many gun manufacturers make barrels that are marked “.40 S&W/.9mm Luger” which are safe to use with either caliber of ammunition. There are some exceptions though, so always check with your gun’s manufacturer before using a different caliber of ammunition.

There are many factors to consider when purchasing a stainless steel barrel. The most important factor is the purpose for which the barrel will be used. For example, if you are looking for a food-grade barrel, you will need to make sure that the barrel is made of 304 or 316 stainless steel.

[If you’re wondering how to uncock a Taurus revolver, the process is actually quite simple. First, make sure that the gun is unloaded by removing the magazine and then visually checking the chamber. Next, find the small lever located on the left side of the frame (just above the trigger guard) and push it up until it’s in the “unlocked” position.

Finally, pull back on the hammer until it locks into place in the “uncocked” position – and that’s it!

DaleA

Jim Watson found this web site and posted a link to it in this thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=3

Post #58 lists some info he found at the site:

The on/off lever on a 1903 Springfield is the lever that controls the flow of gas to the gun. When the lever is in the “on” position, gas flows from the gas port into the chamber, and when the lever is in the “off” position, gas flow is blocked. The purpose of this lever is to allow shooters to safely clean their gun without having to discharge any rounds.

In a subsequent post in the same thread he found many, many other errors.

I went to the site and found this:

Cocking a pistol is the process of drawing the hammer back into position against the firing pin. This is done by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer in a rearward position. The result is a “click” sound as the sear engages and locks the hammer in place.

I didn't have time yesterday to take a good look at the site but I did have some time today and while the appearance of the site looks good the writing is poor with many grammer errors and punctuation errors. What's worse is the firearm information is incredibly bad. Almost every firearm article I looked at has errors and many times on the same page they will have contradictory information.

Here's their info on rifle scopes:
https://gunsbit.com/what-does-3x9x40-mean-on-a-rifle-scope/

3x9x40 is a pretty common configuration for a rifle scope. It means that the scope has 3x magnification, 9x field of view, and 40mm objective lens. These numbers are pretty self explanatory, but let’s go over them in a little more detail.

and

The fourth thing to consider [when using a 3-9x40 scope] is the type of ammunition you are using. If you are using a high powered rifle, you will need to use a higher power setting on your scope. This is because the high powered rifle will create more recoil. On the other hand, if you are using a low powered rifle, you can use a lower power setting on your scope. This is because the low powered rifle will create less recoil.

The errors, misinformation and contradictory information is unbelievable. The site is large, there is a lot of information on it and it seems fairly recent, fall of 2022.

If the owners of the site were at all responsible they would take it down.

Here's some more of their "information":
https://gunsbit.com/what-does-30-30-mean-on-a-rifle/

The 30-30 Winchester cartridge was introduced in 1895 and has been used in a variety of rifles since then. The name 30-30 comes from the fact that it is a .30 caliber bullet fired from a .30 caliber rifle.

30-30 means that the rifle is chambered for .30 caliber cartridges and has a 30-inch barrel.

It was so named because it fired a .30 caliber bullet weighing 30 grains (1.9 g).

30.06 and 30-30 are two different types of cartridges. The main difference between the two is that 30.06 is a centerfire cartridge while 30-30 is a rimfire cartridge.

LeverGunFan

This website appears to be registered in Reykjavik Iceland, of all places. I seem to recall other websites with similar gibberish on other topics, they seem to show up frequently in search engines. I wonder if they are sites for spyware, malware or other nefarious purposes.

DaleA

I admit I'm out of my depth here as far as nefarious and scam for profit web sites are concerned.

If folk think this web site is just click bate for some kind of advertising or something then by all means let's delete this thread so we don't support the gibberish.

Note: some of the gibberish is actually dangerous.

P.S. If this web site is some kind of scam (which I'll certainly concede it could be) could you enlighten us about the details and how this works so we don't get taken in again?

(And by 'we' and 'us' I guess I mean mostly 'me'.)

Mal H

Staff
Wow! Those statements you found are unbelievable. I'm not going to go to the site, but did anyone come along later to correct any of them?

LeverGunFan

This particular site may not be a scam; the disclosure page states that they are (or plan to be) an Amazon affiliate and intend to make money through the affiliate program. I've run across sites that claim to rank the "ten best" of some product but don't really have any useful information, but the purchase links all go to Amazon. The site then gets a percentage of the sale from Amazon. They tend to be featured high in a web search, possibly because the sites pay for favorable placement in the search results. Anyway, a site to avoid.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't see how the amount of mis and DISinformation in the referenced text could be anything BUT INTENTIONAL and deliberate!

Some of the instructions actually put the gun in a dangerous condition under the guise of rendering it safe.

If this is some kind of parody site, if it is intended as satire, it is not at all done in a humorous fashion, and unless there is some kind of disclaimer at the site (where I'm NOT going) then in my opinion, it borders on reckless endangerment, possibly with criminal intent.

Looking at what was said about the .30-30, I feel like I'm reading the possible answers to a multiple choice question where all the choices are WRONG, and the only correct answer is "none of the above" :rolleyes::eek:

I think its a FINE PLACE TO STAY AWAY FROM and everyone should be warned about. Other than removing the link what's to be done??

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've run across other sites like the one under discussion. They have lots of "articles" but the information in them is usually very poor--sometimes nonsensical.

They are usually advertising something. In this case, they actually disclose their purpose, as pointed out by LeverGunFan.

https://gunsbit.com/disclosure/

"GunsBit is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

If GunsBit.com links to an Amazon product (with a special code for affiliates embedded in the link) and you buy this item or any other product, GunsBit.com will get a small percentage of the sale.

The product will cost the same either way if you make a purchase through an affiliate or non-affiliate link."

In my experience, it's not that unusual for sites like this to contain malware.

ocharry

yeah i was gona say .. does someone in washington dc own and write for this websight?? sure sounds like some of the stuff the put out over there

nope i dont think i need to go there, think i have seen enough from the posts above

ocharry

Jim Watson

Awful, isn't it.
I was looking for a good picture of the Springfield rear sight because I wondered just what about it Sgt. York liked better than the plain peep of a 1917.
And started coming up with all that nonsense.
I did not view the YouTubes but they appear not to have been made by the site authors.

ETA: At least I have not been getting funny messages and advertisements since reading that tripe.

Last edited:

Outlaw75

Dale A post #61

It's not. You see those types of sites set up by hosting companies that buy abandoned/lapsed URLs. I suspect most of the text was written by a bot.

Hellcat1

Just to pile on, on the site mentioned in post #58 is also this info:

Quote:
"Cocking a pistol is the process of drawing the hammer back into position against the firing pin. This is done by pulling the trigger while holding the hammer in a rearward position. The result is a “click” sound as the sear engages and locks the hammer in place."

Perhaps this website is where Alec Baldwin learned how to handle a gun?

;)

Frank