Gun Wrapper

bt380

When a new pistol is purchased, it is usually wrapped in a plastic bag prior to going into the box or plastic case, etc. Cabela's gun safes have holster style storage pockets on the door made for pistols. These pocket holsters will eventually take on the smell of gun oil from any residue left on the gun that rubs off or drips from the gun. Wrapping the gun in a plastic bag prior to storage in these pocket holsters is efficient and keeps the oil reside off the pocket holsters, but it looks funky. Does any one have a cleaner looking method of using the pocket holsters?

James K

Member In Memoriam
Is the idea that storing guns in those holsters will make them instantly available once the safe is open? If so, storing the gun in a plastic wrapper would defeat that idea.

FWIW, I oil handguns for storage, then put them in plain plastic freezer bags inside cardboard boxes. I could seal the bags, but usually don't, and have had no problems. Freezer bags are also a good idea for protecting a handgun from water/saltwater in a boat or where it might be exposed to the elements. Some bags are thin enough to allow a revolver to be fired while inside the bag if necessary.

Jim

ClydeFrog

bore store bags.....

I've got a lot from Bore Store bags. They are low cost, easy to use and hold up for years.

There are a few other storage bags treated with special coatings to protect weapons & gear. They are milspec or meant for covert ops/long term storage.
See UScav.com Actiongear.com Deltaforce.com Brownells.com Midwayusa.com Grafs.com Natchezss.com

bt380

Because of the shape of the pistol storage holsters, the only thing that will fit into them are the pistols. If I don't use them, I lose storage space. Right now the pistols are eating space on a pistol rack inside the safe on a shelf. The guns in the safe aren't for quick access, they are unloaded and are only used when I have time to go to the range. My primary and back guns up are only in the safe and in their carry holsters when I am going some where that I am not allowed to have a weapon. My safe stays at about 55% humidity at 72 degrees so no rust issues. I'll check out the Bore and freezer bags. Thanks for the comments.

Cheapshooter

These pocket holsters will eventually take on the smell of gun oil from any residue left on the gun that rubs off or drips from the gun.

A gun safe that smells like guns.....Hum, who woulda thunk?:eek:

CajunBass

Most of mine haven't had boxes for thirty or fourty years, and when they do the boxes are too valuable to use day to day.

I wipe mine down with an oily rag, then wipe them down with a dry rag, then store them in clean white socks to prevent scratching against one another on the shelf. It's worked for years, with no rust at all.

Never seen one of the pocket holsters you speak of.

bikerbill

I keep a Taurus 85 in my glovebox and have for many years. I have it in a product called a Gunsock, it's a grey material impregnated with silicone, and includes a flap held closed by Velcro. The gun has remained clean and rust-free and still shoots perfectly. Not sure if it will let you use the storage in your safe, but it's a great product.

bt380

The Bore store and gun sock are similar and looks like a nice idea. That would be a nicer look. I could cut cost by getting a rifle sock and ask the better half to cut and hem a few out if it. Using the freezer bag inside the sock will manage the oil odor and any drips. The gun panel storage I have is a bit different than the one on Cabela's web site, but you will get the idea if you look at the url: http://www.cabelas.com search on Liberty Custom Door Panels. Thanks for suggestions.

Nick_C_S

I don't oil my guns to the point where they drip. At any rate, I like the smell of gun oil when I open my safe. Just sayin'.

BoogieMan

I like the smell of the gun oil almost as much as the smell of burnt powder.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_ye0uuc62z_b
Some of my stuff is in the safe more long term and because of that I will put it in a gun sock. As others said they are impregnated with silicone to discourage rust. You could also wrap them in VCI paper http://www.uline.com/BL_263/Industrial-Sheets. I also use that if no sock is available. Most guns come wrapped from factory with a piece.

bt380

The safe serves more than a single purpose of just gun storage. I don't mind the odor so much, but the wife does. It is also a matter of controlling residue and vapors so as not to negate the fire protection of the safe (speak to your local fire department). Look at the MSD of the various oil and grease products with flash point and auto-ignition properties, let alone the smoke damage from inside the safe. A house fire can also cause the humidifier inside the safe to short out adding to a potential fire source. The smell of gun oil on a gun is ok, the smell of oil on a keep sake...not so much.... I use clp, air compressor and wipe off to clean the poly areas but sometimes I miss a crevasse and gravity does what gravity does over a period of time and hence the residue or a drip and vapor. Granted it's not the Exxon Valdez, but the material in the pocket holders are absorbent and they will eventually take on a new scent of their own thusly adding to the combustion concerns over time. When minutes can matter in a fire, I want to be prudent rather than cavalier in protection of the various items (business, heirlooms, etc) that were placed in the safe. The plastic baggies work great for odor/drip until I can obtain some materials from the comments that were left. That VCI stuff looks interesting.

BigJimP

If the odor --- or if you think there is really a potential for more combustability....

I think I'd use something ...in those door holsters...that I could wash once a year or something..../ ....it could be as simple as a "bar towel" ....cheap and aborbing material - cotton towels that you can buy in 12 packages at Costco...or any of the big box stores..../ using scissors - you can cut them easily to whatever shape you want...and line the holsters with the towels.

I suppose you could use old - garage sale bathtowels, etc.../ or ask your wife to go to the fabric store and pick up some heavy felt or whatever they have ( in whatever color you want ) ...I suppose something like polar fleece might work...( my wife has a lot of scraps left over ....of polar fleece when she's making jackets for the grandkids...)....or whatever....

You could even do the same thing with heavier paper towels...and then just dump them out once in a while I suppose ( like the heavier shop towels ...)...