Gun weight?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
What do you dirt bird shooters realistically want your gun to weigh for these disciplines???

I ask since I know heavier is fine as the sports are slightly stationary...

I also ask since my little short guns are light and I would consider them useless for serious swing sports...

Brent

BigD_in_FL

Walking a lot and shooting a little? As in Western chukar chasing? (Notice I said chasing, not killing) A 6# 20 (6#4 max), preferably with 30" barrels (28 minimum).
Standing in a field trying to hit dove with the possibility of a LOT of shots? A 7# 20, preferably with 30" barrels (28 minimum)

Especially with light guns, I want loooong barrels as that will help the swing dynamics 100-fold. Short barreled guns, and especially short and light, are too whippy and have a tendency to start and stop quickly, resulting in a miss from behind.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
No... I meant clay birds... As in the trap/skeet/sporting clay sports:eek:

Where you do less walking than when hunting... For me, woods guns are light and short and my 20 gauge stevens SXS is under 6 pounds IIRC... I just got a similar length rifle carbine that weighs in nearly nine pounds with an empty mag:eek:

Thing is gonna hurt just carrying it...

Brent

BigD_in_FL

Missed that - for clays - about 8#. I have fired guns weighing in at 7.75 as well as those weighing in at 9.5 - IF they are balanced and fit me, then it is not as critical. MY target guns are typically about 8.25#

BigJimP

ok, now that we know what the heck you mean.....geez....;)

For me....Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5 Stand ....all have a lot of left and right movement to the targets...or dropping in from overhead, out of the brush, rising off the ground, etc...in sporting especially .....so I want the same gun for all 3 games... and for that,
...I want a well balanced gun at around 8.5 lbs..and in an O/U it would have 30" barrels - regardless of gague ( 12, 20, 28 or .410 )..../ and I would use the same guns for hunting live upland birds / especially if I'm in country that isn't too brushy...

If I want to shoot a lighter gun ....like 7.5 lbs...then I want a longer barrel ( like a 30" in a semi-auto ...to smooth out my swing and followthru. Benelli super sport is a light semi-auto ..and a 30" barrel there works for me.

I have a really hard time shoot real light and short guns - even if they fit me...I tend to "slap" at targets vs making a smooth shot.
-------------
For Trap only.....I go to a 10lb gun and 32" barrels on an O/U....because even in Continental Trap there is less left to right bird movement / and its a single target.

If I were to shoot Bunker Trap...I'd go to my Skeet / Sporting gun over a "Trap gun".