Gun value publications

CCGS

Which book would you recommend for the most accurate values on guns new and old? Do you buy the newest year edition or do you skip a couple years?

redrick

I think you get the best and current prices, at online auctions sights like gunbroker. The book might say one thing, but you have to see what people are paying. With that said, I just got the Blue Book of Gun Values.

BigJimP

The books give you an indication / but prices are flucuating too much the last couple of years to rely on any of them.

I would do an internet search / maybe look at gunsamerica.com / and talk to some knowledgeable dealers in your area that deal in used guns ....and you should get a better more useable range for price.

If you're pricing standard production guns / like Glocks, H&K, Sig, Browning shotguns, etc ..... your local stores are a better idea than anything. Talk to some of the shooters are your local ranges / they always know who has the better overall deals on guns new and used in the area .....

I'm a gun shop junkie ....always cruising my favorite shops - mostly for used guns / but even in my area there are 3 or 4 shops, I rarely visit .... same old junk there, prices are not good, no reason to go ....

Lurch37

I would second the internet auctions as the place to browse prices. Be warned that the prices you see may not reflect what you may have to give or get in your particular area. The Blue Book is a wonderful source of information on guns in general and I buy it more for that than trying to figure out what this or that particular gun is worth.

orionengnr

If you are going to use GunBroker or GunsAmerica, check the completed sales/auctions to see what someone actually paid, not just what some optimist was asking.

The reason for this will become clear immediately. You will see dozens (millions) of instances where someone is asking 150% of a gun's value. Nobody bites; they relist it. And again. And again....and again, ad infinitum.

That is the problem with GunBroker--they don't charge a listing fee to encourage realistic expectations and disincentivize the ludicrous sellers.

CCGS

Thanks for all the information... I looked up the 'Blue book of guns' and it looks pretty reasonable, with the newest edition to come out in April.

Lurch37

That is the problem with GunBroker--they don't charge a listing fee to encourage realistic expectations and disincentivize the ludicrous sellers.

And that is why I only look at "No Reserve" auction listings. :)