Gun stores/ranges in Santa Fe and Albuquerque?

Big Dave

Hi Guys,

Help me out here.

I'll be in Santa Fe and Albuquerque for a few days in March.

I might have a few free hours to spend in both Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

I might like to rent a few guns at a range or at least check out a large selection of guns and toys.

Any suggestions on the best places to check out since I don't have much time.

Thanks,

Dave

Byron

Forget Santa Fe. The Outdoorsman in DeVargas Mall is small and pricey; Peterson's on Airport Road has a small, ill-equipped range and a small selection. In Albuq, the only commercial range is Calibers east of I-25 at Paseo Del Norte; nice place with pretty good selection of rental guns and events many evenings (pinshoots, Hogan's Alley, etc.). For gun stores, it depends on what you are looking for. West of I-25 off Paseo on Jefferson is Gilbert & Associates, who specialize in AR-15 type weaponry, plus some Class III, H&K, and Kimber, also Dillon reloading stuff; nice store, closed Mondays. For collector guns (SA revolvers, etc.), Ron Peterson's on Central is best by far; tag prices are high, but they will dicker if you seem to know what you are doing. Good selection of Sigs, H&K, S&W, and Glock at Guns, Gifts, & Gadgets on Menaul; they also have plenty of long guns, including high-end shotguns, and will dicker, nice store. Quartermaster Sales on San Mateo at Comanche will order anything you want for about 10% over cost + shipping, usually have it the next day; hard-core looking place, but good people. Shooter's Den on San Mateo above Menaul is good for black powder and handguns, especially Beretta and Glock. Charlie's on Menaul east of Wyoming has pretty good selection of everything, especially higher-end long guns, but pricey. If you are looking for machine guns, go to August Arms across the river in Rio Rancho; they also have a website, www.fullautos.com. There are some others, but those are the best. Don't waste time in any pawnshops, strictly overpriced gangbanger junk. There is a gun show at the fairgrounds one weekend in March, also, don't know exactly when. Byron

Teppo

Byron said it all. If you want to shoot, Calibers is the place to go. Very clean and ventilated, with 20 ?or 25 yeard lanes.

Most of the shops in Albuquerque are fairly expensive, and the only place I actually buy guns is at Quartermaster on San Mateo. The selection is small, but they may have great deals, especially on trades. I picked up a new USP9, 2 post-bans there for $460. A excellent Beretta 92 FS with night sites was selling for $379 once. Otherwise I go through my FFL.

Petersons and Guns-Gifts&Gadgets will have the largest number of guns to look at.

There is a town called Farmington, NM a few hours from Albuquerque. Great pawn shop there called Big Bear trading post. Holy cow --- Guns turn over very rapidly there, because of the prices. It was SIG heaven there a month ago. Most of the guns are in great shape. Unbelievable collection of shotguns and long guns. All the guns are 10% off just for the asking.

Probably the best gun store I've ever seen is Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque. They deal mostly in used guns and the prices are reasonable. If Ron is there and if you are interested the really old stuff is kept in the back. The store is worth the trip!

Ben

Inside one of those giant malls off of I-40, there was a large sporting goods store... it may have been called Champions. Last time I was there, they sold Berettas and several other major brands.

I'm not sure about ranges though... I know they don't have one at the mall :( Hopefully I'll move back out to Albuquerque. Go up Sandia Mountain while you are visiting. I used to live right next to the tram station and really miss that area. Nothing even compares to it in Georgia.

Enjoy and good luck,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Big Dave

Thanks fellers,

Looks like I'll only have a few hours max.

So, I'll try to narrow it down to one or two spots in Alber.

Take em easy,

Dave