Gun Show Prices

mnoirot64

I am working the NRA booth at the local gun show this morning. The benefit of working is that I get to walk around before the show opens. Pretty much everything is over priced - as I have been seeing at all recent shows. One of two vendors selling powders had Accurate No 5 & 7 in stock. The only pistol powder in the building. Because I'm feeling a bit desperate, I bought two pounds of No 5. $28 per pound. Aargh!! I feel a bit violated, but I'm guessing it will all be gone in the first hour or so.

std7mag

While I can't say I know what the going rate is on the Accurate powders, I do know that the LGS's in my area are asking in the $29 range for Alliant, and Hogdon powders.

I just happened to run into a major deal the other week. Some idiot opened a can of Hogdon H414, and a can of Ramshot True Blue.
Ended up with both cans for $10 Each. :D

mnoirot64

$28 isn't terrible, but I have the unique benefit of living 10 minutes from Midsouth Shooters - one of the largest wholesalers in the country. When they have No 5 in stock, IIRC, they usually sell for around $24 per pound. Unfortunately, they haven't had No 5 in stock since late last summer.

mnoirot64

I just looked online, Midsouth, when they have No 5 in stock, sells it for less than $19 per pound. $28 is retail + a fair mark up. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

serf 'rett

Local gun stores are hitting us for $24.99/pound (IF THEY HAVE ANY POWDER). When you add the 10-1/2% tax, the total cost of $27.61 isn't far off of what you paid.

My take - be thankful to even find powder.

Still cheaper than buying factory loads. :D

mnoirot64

Local gun stores are hitting us for $24.99/pound (IF THEY HAVE ANY POWDER). When you add the 10-1/2% tax, the total cost of $27.61 isn't far off of what you paid.

My take - be thankful to even find powder.

Still cheaper than buying factory loads. :D

This is very true.

jeager106

Well the local firearms shops have always had a problem making money until recent years. Now that powder is scare they up the prices.
In my ecperience attending gun shows for over 40 years people that have tables set up are always out to lunch on prices.
I've seen dealers refuse to sell a gun for $5 bucks difference then see the same guy with the same gun at a different show a year later.
Everyone in business has to make money.
It's the scalpers I distain with a passion.
I've been seeing busget .22 r.f. that sells retails for $2.99 being sold at shows & in the paper for $10 bucks for 50.
If people would just stop buying the stuff the scalpers will stop hoarding.

std7mag

Bear in mind that I haven't been reloading very long. That said, the price of my first pound of Reloader 25, was $7 cheaper that the last one I bought.

spacecoast

I sold a shooting buddy of mine a pound of Titegroup for $20 this morning. I think that's a little more than I paid for it (4 lb jug), but the LGS is getting $30+ for rifle powders, with no pistol powder available.

RC20

Considering how much you get out of a pound of pistol powder vs rifle powder the pain should not be that bad.

Also consider both shipping and the haz fee. Order enough an you can dilute those (particularly haz as that is good for 20 or 50 lbs).

Best I found lately was R17 in a 5 lb jug for $120.

One lb at a time is in the 25-32 a pound range and that assumes you can find it.

Red Wiggler

Went to the gun show today . One guy had pistol powder , $39.00 a pound . A few had odd ball rifle powder out of about 150 vendors .

Machineguntony

I bought three 8 pound jugs of AA5, and thought I got a deal at $140 per jug; they're so pretty I kind of don't want to use them. If you search older threads, like 2010, you'll find threads where guys complain about gun show vendors 'scalping' powder at $100/8pound jug.

I just got back into reloading about a year ago, so I'm not aware of prices between 1999-2013.

$28/pound isn't that bad. Doesn't approach scalping prices in today's market.

I just picked up 6 one pound bottles of AA5 and paid $23 for each of them. I also got a couple other powders for $22 and $24 per pound. They can still be found at reasonable prices if you look hard enough. It still isn't what I was paying a little over a year ago but then everything involved with guns and ammo seem to have been going up on a steady basis for the past few years.

mnoirot64

I just picked up 6 one pound bottles of AA5 and paid $23 for each of them. I also got a couple other powders for $22 and $24 per pound. They can still be found at reasonable prices if you look hard enough. It still isn't what I was paying a little over a year ago but then everything involved with guns and ammo seem to have been going up on a steady basis for the past few years.

That's a really good buy.

captneil19

licensed vs unlicensed dealer at gun shows

heres what I don't understand at a gun show here we have a licensed dealer with a ffl lic., an u want to buy a rifle from him, well you have a ton of paper work to fil out,right next to him is just a guy with a booth with the same rifle unlicensed,u pay him cash an walkaway with your rifle,the point is why even bother looking at the lic. dealers booth,this is how it is in ms.

BigJimP

I go to my local gunshows with an open mind....and primarily to have some fun / maybe find a deal...maybe not...

Sometimes licensed dealers have something - that the unlicensed tables don't have.../ so I look at all the tables.

Overall, I have everything I want...so mostly I just go to check out the used gun market...looking for unique things - or something I may be missing in the collection .../ but powder is very scarce in the Northwest as well...as it is anywhere apparently ...

I hope the powder companies can bring in some inventory pretty soon...but nobody knows for sure what is going on in my view.

Mike1234

I have yet to buy a single thing at a gun show. The prices are highly inflated and the vendors are expecting attendees to be ignorant. The mentality is similar to auctions... "Oh S-word... I should buy what's in my hands RIGHT NOW or someone else will!!" What total BS.

The admission fee... and more importantly the TIME... is WASTED!!