Gun Shop vs. Gun Show

FratBoyTX

I have noticed that the prices are A LOT cheaper at gun show than at shops. Why, then, would you make a purchase at a shop rather than the show? Maybe because of the infrequency of shows where you live? Here in Dallas if there is not one this weekend, then there will be next, so thats not an issue. How do the gun shop compete?

CFB

mpthole

My experience has been the exact opposite, here in MN. The gun show prices might be a BIT cheaper than a shop, but the items are well used and you still have to go through all the background checks (at least that's what I've seen). Personally, I'd rather pay a little bit more for something that I KNOW is NIB and have the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with it, I can take it back to the same physical location where I purchased it.

I've yet to see a deal that I couldn't pass up at a show.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Geographics play a big role......

Depending on your flock of local gunshops, supporting them may be worth the cost. That's not true here, but may be true elsewhere. In my home town of Knoxville Tn, there were several shops where you could get good advice. That's not true in Columbia. :(

The thing about gunshows (here) is that you have to know the median prices in the area. You can usually get new guns cheaper, used ones are about even. Service is non-existant.

Giz

AKsrule

Prices ? :)

Lowest prices --:rolleyes:

1 Internet

2 Gunshows

3 Local Dealers :)

Go with what you can afford - versus availability :)

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
There are some good deals at gun shows in Illinois, but you really have to know what you're looking for and what it's worth. The local shops are generally better on price and of course, there's service.

The function of gun shows locally is mostly to get the items the local shops don't stock much of, like holsters and reloading components. Also collectible and unusual guns. Again, if you just want a SIG or a good 1911 or something similar, you're almost always better off at the shop here.

2shots

What I've found in the past decade were higher prices at gun shows vs. more than a few gun shops. Way too many gun show participants (especially retailers who set up tables) presume that the viewers are rubes and dullards. Last Sunday at the Kane County (Il.) show, I saw ridiculous prices for Win. model 12s and absurd prices for most centerfire rifles. I did come home, however, with a mint Kimber 84 Classic in .223.

hksigwalther

It's pretty rare to find higher end stuff like Hämmerlis and Anschützs and etc. at the shows. At least in NE OH. Also, generally speaking, the gun shop guns have been handled (mis-handled) less than the guns at the show.

Charmedlyfe

Here in SC, I (and most other regulars) know the dealers at the gun shows. In fact, quite a few shops go to the shows. Prices are competitive, and the shows are usually very well-rounded. For the most part, dealers will refer customers freely. There are, of course, a few bad apples....but they don't get a lot of business, and they don't get referrals.

Sub MOA

I have found that at my local gunshows there are plenty of deals and a likewise number of ripoffs ready for the taking. The best deals I usually find at gunshows are on accessories and reloading components.

Firearm prices at the shows tend to be more inflated when dealing with private collectors and used guns. Gun shops that set up at the shows seem to have more stable, reasonable prices, especially on new firearms. I suppose there are folks in this area trying to take advantage of the last days of no-paperwork private sales at the gunshows.

Just some observations from my little corner of the world.

Sub

Sometimes it's worth to pay just a little more when you want things like authenticity or quality. Mind you, I've gotten some great deals at gunshows (bought a pair of commerative Applegate fighting knives for $125) but by the same token I've seen worn parts which have been reparkerized and passed off as new mil-spec, overpriced items which are bought on impulse, and junk being offered to an unwary public. A dealer whom you know, trust, and can expect your return business would serve you better. Of course, this is at a price and to be expected. As with anything else, dealer or gunshow, be an informed buyer and don't get taken!

Do I sound like some sort of TV Consumer Advocate?

MiniZ

My take on gun shows is usually firearms are more expensive, but on accessories(mags, ammo, etc)the shows seem to beat the local dealers out of the water.
Z

Bobbalouie

I live in an area (Tidewater, VA) which is blessed with several well-stocked shops and one dealer which is particularly excellent (The Armory). This dealer has excellent prices which often rival both the shows and the internet. He also employs gunny chiefs who are stationed at the local Navy bases and who love to teach. Of course, this makes my choice pretty easy.

I tend to wax philosophical on this issue, but I will tell you that I can be very pragmatic if I don't find myself in an ideal situtation. Here's my bottom line:

If you want local support, you need to keep your money local. I'm willing to pay a little more to a good dealer because I figure I'm paying for local service and support.

Bobbalouie

Zander

Gun shows in my area...

...are almost always cheaper.

"It's pretty rare to find higher end stuff like Hämmerlis and Anschützs and etc. at the shows."

Extra credit for the umlauts! :cool:

As mentioned, regional differences are rather substantial.
I always attend a show held six times a year in my area...it represents the best of both worlds - really competitive prices on current production stuff and a huge selection of higher-end arms, including collector rifles and shotguns in the mid to upper five-figure range.

No real dealer of any size in Tennessee can afford to ignore the opportunity represented by shows.

Generally, prices are lower at the shows, sometimes by substantial margins. Vendors who ask huge premiums for their firearms/accessories/ammunition/services are shunned and learn their lesson in short order.

Specifically, if you're within decent driving distance of Middle Tennessee, look for the shows run by Pope or Goodman, with eighteen shows/yr. between them.

Nevertheless, I always support the local guys whenever possible...it's vital to keep as many good dealers in existence as we can.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
A good local gun shop will provide you with the following:
  • Reasonable prices on new and used guns
  • Special order items
  • Friendly service
  • Remember your name!
  • Only a phone call away when you run into a problem or have a question
  • Won't BS you like a lot of gun show vendors who are trying to unload inventory
In addition, you're keeping your money locally.

Of course, there are always the gun shops who are the opposite of what I listed. If you have a friendly, knowledgeable shop nearby, support them. I do so by volunteering one or two nights a week. Why do I volunteer? .... it'll be 6-8 years before the petty paycheck will catch up to my purchases :D

On a different note, Pennsylvania is second in the nation with the number of gun shows per year. I attend 2 or 3 of the bigger ones in search of the "special" gun. I also stock up on my favorite bullets from a vendor who lives too far away from me for mail order.

Nodakmarine

I would say it depends on the dealer and what kind of people you get at the shows. I have one local dealer here in town that would be better named a "gun store profiteer." He goes strictly by retail price and if you think you are getting anything for less than that, he'll tell you that it's because it's factory seconds and nothing but junk. Good weapons like a CZ-75 he'll claim he's never heard of and is of course junk but he'll tell you that the Jennings 9mm that he just happens to have in the case is an excellent pistol and he's never heard of them having any problems. I'm on my third set of hip waders these days. ;)
Now gun shows up here in my area used to be good places to go too where you could find good guns cheap. That's changed a lot over the years and how they are just about as high as any other place. If you think I'm going to spend $1700 for a pre-ban AK underfolder, you get to guess again and please guess correctly this time. ;)
Now some dealers are pretty decent. I have a neighbor of mine that has an FFL and will order anything I want for $15 just to cover the paperwork involved. Some gun show dealers are also pretty good and I can think of one that has sold to me at cost on several occasions.
All-in-all, it's going to depend on the person you're dealing with. I guess it's like anything else if you feel their price is too high, go to the next store or table at the show and let the other dealer clean the dust off his guns in the rack or pack them back up again after the show is over.

RT

If you don't like the shops in Dallas you might try some in Austin. I know it is a long drive, but I always see better prices when I visit Austin.

Kentucky Rifle

Gun Show/Gun Shop Prices

There is a good gun show in two weeks here in Louisville. If it's like the last one, 6 months ago, ammo and cleaning supplies will be cheaper and firearms will cost more than at Tilford's Gun Sales on Fern Valley Road. (Small local shop)
That's the way it is in Louisville.

KR

David Scott

Gun shows are great for selection. If you are shopping for a particular item, like a 9mm pistol, but have not settled on a a brand, a good size gun show will give you a chance to check out all the models. When I was getting ready to buy Thelma her pistol I took her to a show and had her hold guns till she had hand cramps, to find out what fit her well.

You can (and should) also shop prices. I went looking for Ruger hi-caps at the Orlando show and found the exact same mags at half a dozen booths. Prices ranged from $21 to $48.

My local observation is that gun show prices are usually lower than storefront. Show markdowns range from 5% to 20% (if you're lucky). Where you can really save money at a gun show is ammo. The shops must mark this stuff up extra, because I always find good breaks on ammo at a show. If you're willing to buy in bulk, it gets better.

There are three types of dealers at gun shows:

1. The private party who rents a booth. He may be just thinning his collection, or he may be an FFL holder without a storefront. You may find the best deals from these low-overhead folks, but make darned sure of what you're getting and what you're paying for it, because you may never se them again.

2. The business entity with no local storefront presence. This may be a wholesaler/mail order business, which can offer good deals. Georgia Arms, for example, is reliable and always has a booth at local shows. I have heard, though, that some of these vendors are wildcatters who are dumping off one job lot of surplus guns and may never be back. My advice on these folks is to buy from the ones who have had a booth at the last five or more shows you've been to.

3. The local/regional gun shop. This will be a name you may recognize and a place you could drive to. Some local dealers will set up a booth at the show just to scope out the competition. Others use it as a place to have their clearance sales, knowing there will be a dense crowd of folks ready to buy. IMHO, if you find a good deal from one of these, you should go with the locals, all other things being equal.

As with any shopping, follow the basic rules. Crap is NEVER cheap enough, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Dead

I know a local dealer that will bend over backwards to get what you want and at a good price. Usually it does cost alittle more than a "gun show", but the service cant be beat.

A note on local guns shows from where I am...

Something there are INSANE!!! When SAR's first came out (or around then), some show dealers wanted, ready for this, $750 for a SAR2!!!! And $900 for a SLR100H. Preban NIB Chinese folders were going for 900-1000. I think the best deal on a post-ban pistol gripped AK was $415 for Maadi (barely used).

There is always one person I buy ammo from, I have seen them at the shows since before 93-94. Always good deals. (They sometimes have guns for sale, with VERY good prices! Preban fixed stock AK LNIB for $500 though that was 1 year ago)