gun safe question

tim

I recently moved to California from Wisconsin, where I kept my gun safe in the basement of my home. Now I don't have the luxury of a basement ( and a much smaller home), so I was thinking about keeping my safe in the garage. This isn't the ideal place for a gun safe and I was worried about damp air more so than temp variations. My other option is to buy a smaller closet safe. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Mine is in the garage and the door is up much of the time. No one, and I mean NO ONE, has ever noticed. You could hand a piece of carpet over it if you like but mine says FORT KNOX in big letters and it has gone completely unnoticed.

Get a little heater for the inside to keep the moisture out.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A ten-watt light bulb will do just fine to combat humidity. Many safes have a hole for the electric wire for such a lamp.

Art

Keeper

I live in Georgia and it is pretty humid here. I have used a golden rod for the last 4 years without problem along with some big desicant packs with good results and my basement is humid. I also run a dehumidifier down there all most every day. I have not had problems with rust. I am also fairly good about getting my guns out and checking to make sure that they still have a thin coat of oil inside and silicon on the outside. I also store all of my guns except my glocks in bore store silicon bags. :)

Lagbolt it to the slab, but set it on a piece of vinyl flooring or some other waterproof membrane. Concrete is porous and wicks water, and can eventually cause the bottom to rust out of your safe.

To hide it, if you feel so inclined, build a little wooden cubby around it with a door, like a tool storage area. Doesn't have to be elaborate.

A friend of mine did that, but took the extra pains to put 2 layers of drywall on the exterior as a primary fire insulation method. Don't forget the ceiling.

blades67

If you're going to put your safe in the garage, get an alarm system that will include the garage. Just because Ken W. hasn't been hit yet doesn't mean you won't be either.