Gun Rights Win in Florida

ClemBert

For once I read an article about gun ownership and rights and am pleasantly surprised to see a positive outcome rather than gun ownership losing yet another battle. I'm proud that my state got it right and fixed an ongoing problem that many of you are seeing in your home state. Lets hope this kind of legislation ripples through more states.

Read about the victory here: Gun Rights win in Florida

Micropterus

We have preemption in Virginia, as well. The preemption law went to the greatest extent to ensure a freedom of movement within the state. I count it among the most important gun laws we have.

Congrat to Florida!

aaalaska

That sounds great. But I don't view it as a win it's just one we didn't lose. When that is the law of the land then maybe we'll have a win.

IMHO it shows the total venality of politicians. As noted, preemption was already in the law in Florida, yet on lower levels politicians nonetheless enacted invalid laws and erected invalid signs, and very likely in some instances police made invalid arrests that cost citizens of Florida time and money to show were invalid.

Yet only when it might cost THEM (the politicians) money do they acknowledge that their laws and regulations were invalid, and start taking down the signs.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
The only thing different from the old law is a fine was added.
it's really not a biggie.

I agree it shouldn't be a big deal; most unfortunately, without the fine, lots of jurisdictions were passing illegal laws, putting up signs, and enforcing them.

Hope Colorado gets on board with something like that.

We have state preemption; unfortunately, Denver, the San Francisco of the Rocky Mountains, is accustomed to carving out extra-special exceptions for itself.