Gun Range Etiquette

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I have done a little "formal range shooting". Some indoors some outdoors. my question regards Noise... I think if I was going to be busting off my real loud calibers I would let each shooter already there know I was about to open up the ear buster. I can't explain the lack of concentration I get while being the only one in the indoor range then out of no where a cannon goes off (you don't hear the door open and close with your ear protection on) next to your stall... I once dern near dropped my magazine while loading it when some guy goes to fast firing his .44mag revolver...
Any other things others would like to mention...?
Brent

copenhagen

I've felt that way too, but I thought it was a bit of PTSD. It is bad for the first 2 minutes at the range and then I get used to it.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I don't go to ranges now that I live in the country...
I ain't a real jumper feller but when you get used to being the only guy inside and then a hand cannon goes off 5 feet from you....
Brent

Majic

If you wre the only one on the range and the other shooter started shooting it doesn't matter if it's a handcannon or not it will be loud. You just live with it as it is a public range.

CrazyIvan007

Some whacky things go on at shooting ranges sometimes.

I keep the corner of my eye open to anyone who comes in after me. I make sure to give the once-over look to anyone that comes in as wel as walk the line & check the shooters that are already there when I arrive.

Always be aware of your surroundings, even if you think you are in a safe place.

Some people might think you are acting strangely. I was approached by the RO once after walking the line slowly & checking the other shooters out, but it was full that day, so he probably thought I was thinking of something I shouldn't. I told him straight up that I want to make sure it appears everyone is shooting safely so as not to put myself in danger. He grinned & said: "NICE!"

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I started backing out of my slot while putting rounds in the mag. I admit to letting my guard down. This place had real nice dividers and if you were at your counter top you could not lean back to see who was coming in...
Brent

Sgt.Fathead

Courtesy

If I am going to use Hydra Shok ammo in my .357 (rare) or fire my .44 magnum, I always try to wait until the other shooters nearest me are not firing and let them know. The Hydras make that flat, hollow booming that can be pretty startling and a .44 is just a .44! I just consider it courteous and possibly safer to not startle folks like that. the alert has always been appreciated.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
even at the open air range I thought it was polite to let other shooters know I was going off with the shot gun or .30-06, .300 win mag while I hung my first targets. Our outdoor range officer did not count your time until after the next cease fire was called since you didn't have targets up yet. A little warning was always politely absorbed by the other shooters. After a warning more than one feller said "GOLLY I AM SURE GLAD YOU WARNED ME.... I NEVER HEARD A GUN THAT LOUD..." Than a few minutes later they were talking at normal volume...;) many folks think a .44 mag from an 8 inch barrel is loud.... That CRACK from a bolt action .30-06 or .300WM is an ear ringer! The 3" shot shell ain't so bad as it is a blunt booming sound IMO...
Brent