Gun owners sue over targets with human images

Morgan

The PC Plod strikes again:

Gun Owners Sue Over Restrictions

BOSTON (AP) -- Gun club patrons have gone to court for the right to shoot at images of Adolf Hitler and other people during target practice, which is banned at some clubs by a new state law.

"It is the first time in United States history that there has been an attempt to censor images printed on targets," said Stephen Halbrook, a lawyer for the Gun Owners Action League.

The law applies only to gun clubs that allow unlicensed gun enthusiasts to practice with semiautomatic and assault weapons without supervision.

On Wednesday, GOAL asked U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr. to stop the implementation of the law approved in October. Halbrook argued that telling target shooters what they can and cannot aim at violates their right to free expression.

Shooting at an image of Hitler "is a political message protected by the First Amendment," Halbrook said, comparing it to burning draft cards.

But Assistant Attorney General Edward DeAngelo defended the law. "We're talking about targets shaped like human bodies," he said. "By shooting at them, they're practicing to shoot at people."

DeAngelo also argued that the gun owners did not show that shooting at targets such as those depicting Hitler constitutes speech.

O'Toole did not immediately issue a ruling.

AP-NY-04-08-99 0858EDT

John G

If you own a firearm, you are morally obligated to practice with it. It is irresponsible to not be able to hit what you aim at. Using the military's "train as you fight" mentality, defense guns should be fired at man-shaped targets.

------------------
-Live free or die
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Jeff Thomas

This is so obviously absurd, if the thread was started April 1st I would have assumed this was a joke. Quite striking to realize how far Boston has fallen from 1776 to the present.

Perhaps they'll compromise if 10% of the revenue from Democrat targets is diverted to Clinton's campaign / legal defense funds? ;)

jimmy

Asst AG DeAngelo is a example of the increasingly numerous class of arrogant, meddling officials who have an agenda to push and who think it's up to them to determine everyone else's civil liberties. It should be an unwritten rule that anyone who does not trust the public should not be allowed to hold an office of public trust.

zot

DeAngelo is afraid if we practice on paper
Nazi's we might someday shoot the real ones
who are destroying our constitution,

JBP

This may be the first time for a law on target images but the club I belong to has had the retriction on pictures of individuals, whether alive or deceased, for almost 50 years on both our rifle and pistol ranges.

Silhoutte, police pistol, and FBI targets are allowed but most members, including myself, use competition targets for practice.

Jim March

Kennedy Country strikes again.

Some wit at one of the ranges had a bunch of targets printed up with the classic big-eyed small grey aliens on 'em, to get around the "human target" law. Hilarious.

Come the invasion, I guess *somebody* will be ready. There's even reports of fewer cattle mutilations :D :D :D.

Jim March

Ken Cook

LOL! What would this be? Close encounters of the CQB kind?
I highly recommend switching to the "Barney" or the "Teletubby" target. May not be politically correct, but it IS satisfying!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.