Gun: "I've been shot!"

Cowled_Wolfe

Gun: "I've been shot"

The Weaver Stance is the way cops hold a gun when they mean business. It was invented in the 1950s by Los Angeles county deputy sheriff Jack Weaver and means using both hands to grip a weapon for steady aim and controlled recoil.

But when a cop is "Weavering" he or she cannot grab a radio and transmit an all-important message, to call for urgent back-up for example. So inventor Kevin Sinha of Georgia, US, has come up with a simple way around the problem and Motorola, which has made police radios for many years, has pitched in.

The idea is to give guns a Bluetooth transmitter chip controlled by a sensor which detects when the firing pin is triggered. So every time the gun fires a shot it automatically sends out a low power radio signal to a belt-mounted GPS radio which determines its wearer's precise position.

So, BANG, and the belt radio transmits a pre-recorded message saying "gun fired, send backup" accompanied by the GPS position. If shots are fired but there is no need for backup then the cop can use the radio to send a manual message to cancel the cavalry.

Taken from:
http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn8845.html

What'll they think of next?:confused:

Wolfe.

(EDIT: There's also a link to the patent in the article.)

rhgunguy

That would be great for the DEA agent who shot himself in the classroom.:D

It is a good thing for cops to have though. However, if they need to request backup before pulling the trigger they still have to take a hand of the gun.

Twycross

It sounds like a good idea... but something about putting locator chips into guns doesn't sit well with me. It just seems like the start of a slippery slope.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
It sounds like a good idea... but something about putting locator chips into guns doesn't sit well with me.
The way I understand it, the chip in the gun is a very low powered bluetooth "switch" that turns on the GPS function on the newer walkie talkies. That in turn sends out the alarm and location.

Our guys hate the GPS function (big red X at Dunkin' Donuts :D ), but I know they'd go for this. As our 911 Enhanced system is GPS capable, and we're due for new radios, I think we'll look into this.

Cowled_Wolfe

Twycross, Bluetooth is a very short range technology... Just enough for stuff like transmitting from an Ipod to a set of nearby speakers or whatnot... 30 feet is the "as advertised" max range on alot of Bluetooth stuff.

Cheers,
Wolfe.

rangermonroe

This should be a mandatory safety feature

Think of all the lives that could be saved!:)

And if all guns had this requirement, we could tell who was armed at every intersection, every time we approached a car, or checked the electric meter on a house!

We could just drive around neighborhoods like the "cable TV cops" with a big antenna on the roof...registration be damned!

I'm sure the police will rise up in arms over this one.

Will a microwave oven cook a blutooth chip? Or will that be a felony too?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
We could just drive around neighborhoods like the "cable TV cops" with a big antenna on the roof...registration be damned!

I'm sure the police will rise up in arms over this one.
Cute, but you're jumping to conclusions. The idea is designed for police issued weapons only, and will only work in close proximity to an officer's portable radio. And yes, it will save lives! Cop's lives. There was nothing mentioned here about tracking your gun, or anybody elses.

Except for the LEO's here, I doubt that there are very many people here that have tried to radio for help while engaged in a shootout, fight, or foot pursuit. I've been on both sides of the radio for all 3, and if you can manage to get your location transmitted clearly, you're either very damned good, or very damned lucky. To hear an officer screaming for help, and not knowing where he is, is one of the sickest feelings you can imagine.

We do need to be ever watchful of those that would use technology against gun owners, but to oppose this one is sheer paranoia at peace officer's expense :mad: .

rangermonroe

The idea is designed for police issued weapons only, and will only work in close proximity to an officer's portable radio.

Yeah....There would never be anyone who would think that "civilians" should be required this safety feature.

Instead of a gun mounted transmitter, what about a radio mounted "gunshot transmitter"? Or "loud bang" transmitter? I would support that. If you were shot at, got whacked in the head, by a car, by a beer bottle...message sent.

Shoot a gun...911. Not OK by me. If you guys (cops) think this is good for " safety", I will be required to have it for the same auspicious reason.

Then you will know that you are not the only armed donut shop patrons.

That is not right.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Instead of a gun mounted transmitter, what about a radio mounted "gunshot transmitter"? Or "loud bang" transmitter? I would support that.
Rangermonroe, re-read the description, please! That's exactly what it is! The chip tells the radio to transmit when the hammer falls. It's a wireless switch, nothing more.

rangermonroe

Why, then, whould it need to be 'gun mounted'? Could it not be belt mounted?

At the risk of sounding TFH, i shall proceed: it is a chip in the gun...that sends out info!

If you are OK with 'chipping ' guns, then you and I disagree.

I hate to sound like a weirdo, but I do not want the meter-man checking my safe to see if they are all there.

This is a notion that is Ripe for abuse.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Why, then, whould it need to be 'gun mounted'? Could it not be belt mounted?
Because it detects firing pin movement. A loud noise detector would send too many false alarms.

...it is a chip in the gun...that sends out info!
Ah HA! It's the word "chip" that's freaking you out. There are chips, and there are Chips. I would also oppose any chip that transmitted personal info or info about the gun. This doesn't. It simply transmits a signal to the radio, ordering it to transmit a distress signal, similar to a garage door opener.

I noticed that you're a firefighter. Modern day firefighters have access to devices containing chips that allow for a fallen firefighter to be located in a smoke filled building. By your logic, you would deny your fellow firefighters lifesaving equipment, simply because of a chip? Good Gawd! Who knows? It might actually be transmitting info about his overtime to the IRS, or *gasp* his political stance to the CIA!!! :rolleyes:

rangermonroe

Ah HA! It's the word "chip" that's freaking you out.

You got me!:rolleyes:

I am so afraid of the word chips that I wont even eat those French bastardations! (my word)

It simply transmits a signal to the radio, ordering it to transmit a distress signal, similar to a garage door opener.

I worry that it can say

I am here!

Cowled_Wolfe

From my understanding, it would only transmit if fired... And it would only work right in the presence of a radio equipped to recognize the signal (also note, the GPS would be radio-bound; the chip would just tell the radio when to make the call)... But the main overriding thing is, it'd be for the police.

Wolfe.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I am so afraid of the word chips that I wont even eat those French bastardations! (my word)
Chips are like guns, in that they can be used for good, or for evil. By themselves, they're neither good, nor evil.

I agree wholeheartedly that the potential for the abuse of our privacy, or of our 2nd amendment rights, is there, and we must be ever watchful to ensure that that doesn't happen. In this particular case though, I just can't see it happening.

blume357

Well the stupid article

goes on the premise that the cop can only shoot his gun using two hands..... but then with all that's been said above, I'm sure with all the money 'we' are spending on law enforcement to protect us... this will be another item they need to issue.

I'm still trying to figure out how more police equals less crime.

Hal

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the switch/chip in the holster?

Draw weapon = trigger GPS.

Seems to me that by the time the firing pin is in motion,,,it's too late.
or God forbid,,, a malfunction where dirt jammed the firing pin.
Jammed firing pin = no transmission at a time when the guy needs backup the most.

Glock 31

Y'all don't seem to be understanding the point of the invention.

When a situation escalates to the point where an officer needs to fire, he's going to have both hands on his weapon for maximum control. While he's doing this, he doesn't have a third hand to radio for help or hit switches on his holster, badge, or underwear.

So when he discharges the first round, the chip says to the radio, "call for help, the SHTF". This means the officer doesn't have to worry about taking his hand off his weapon and distracting himself from the battle to call for help hisself.:cool:

Billy Sparks

I don't know. I have some misgivings about this but not from a "there are going to track me down" kind of a view but a more technical standpoint. GPS is good for what 30 feet depending on location, tree cover etc. Officer A gets into a altercation in the projects or a city block situation, 30 feet is a lot of area to try to find them. Then what about batteries, what happens when the pistol gets wet. I don't know a lot about Bluetooth but it is a wireless receiver how do you keep multiple officers from interfering from one another.

My dislike of this stems from knowing how "wonderful" new technology is. It sounds like a neat idea but I wouldn't want to be the first agency to try to work the bugs out.