Gun in the news--what kind is this?

MikeGoob

From the recent shooting in Iran

This guy is security I assume--what handgun is he holding? Not a 1911 is it?
k7mvo.jpg

Attachments

• gunman2.jpg
    gunman2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 133

RickB

The ejection port appears to be on the side of the slide, rather than wrapping onto the top, as is the case with a 1911 or Tokarev.
I initially thought Browning Hi-Power, because the slide appears slim for its length.

5whiskey

Definitely not a 1911, as Rick pointed out the ejection port would be much more visible from this angle. Probably FEG (Hi-Power).

TXAZ

It's likely indigenous. After the Shah fiasco in 1979, the US and many in the West cut most business ties with Iran. Having a western product show up in a public picture 40 years after an embargo would likely turn the heat up on their suppliers.

The Persians are smart enough to try avoiding that situation. They are very clever and industrious people, and there's no reason they couldn't copy a Colt or even a Kimber 1911 with very high fidelity, and very low cost.

Rob228

Based on some experience in the region, and what looks like a knurled bushing at the end of the barrel, I'm leaning toward some type of Astra variant.

-Found one in eastern Iraq about 15 years ago, it look a looong time for us knuckle draggers to figure out how to field strip it.

cc-hangfire

Second vote for a Tokarev. I have one in 9mm by Zastava. Tiny sights, very thin, slide rounded on top, and the hammer is round rather than spurred.

TXAZ

Or maybe it's a 3D printed, locally produced gun.
They have that technology, and the files are out there....

tipoc

Second vote for a Tokarev. I have one in 9mm by Zastava. Tiny sights, very thin, slide rounded on top, and the hammer is round rather than spurred.

Which is a description of the Hi-Power as well when they have a Commander style hammer on them.

Of course we can't know for sure without a profile but I bet the BHP. Iran had a long relationship with FN that went back to shortly after WWII. After the 1953 overthrow of Muhammad Mosaddegh, in a coup backed by the CIA, the Iranian government of the Shah had a working relationship with FN and ordered a good deal of handguns, rifles, ammo etc from them. The Shah had no close relationship with the Russians. Similarly the government since the overthrow has had no relationship with the Russian government.

Have the Russians been producing the Tokarev? For export sale?

Likely if they wanted handguns and the Tok the only recent source for those would be the Chinese I think. Though I'm not sure.

The Iranians have the M9, Sigs and the Hi-Power in large numbers.

So why would a Iranian military person, or national Guard, etc. be carrying an antiquated design like the Tok when we know they have access to more modern guns and have large numbers of BHPs?

Course could be an individual who likes the Tok. Always a possibility.

tipoc