Gun for son. What to get?

hbhobby

I am looking for a .22 lr semi auto pistol to introduce my son to pistol shooting. At our local range they have IPSC type competitions/get togethers and want my son to start playing. He is 12 and shot mostly rifles in the past. I am thinking of a 1911 with a .22 conversion so he could "grow" into it. Or something like the Ruger 22/45 that has same basic frame as 1911 then letting him switch when he feels comfortable. Any input on what you all think I should get?

dirtd0g

You really can't go wrong with a River Mk. I, II, or III. But, if you're looking for something more 'tactical' the SR22 is also a fine gun.

I'm enjoying the Sig Mosquito, myself. It's 90% full size, got some weight to it, and accurate. It's a fairly picky eater, though, so be prepared to shell out for some higher quality higher velocity rounds for perfect cycling.

There are a good amount of quality .22 LR semis on the market now; S&W and Walter have some great offerings as well.

Some may suggest a platform that can be rechambered easily, but I'm not a fan. I like having a superb individual weapon in each caliber I enjoy shooting. However I can see the benefits of such a product to a newer shooter.

mxsailor803

Nothing wrong with a 1911 and add a .22lr conversion slide. You're right that he could grow into it but for the time being, you'd have a 1911 to shoot for fun. I shot steel matches with a Ruger MK1 that was highly customized,(red dot, volquartsen trigger parts, hogue grip, extended mag release, ebay barrel weight). It shot great at speed using std vel ammo. If you are thinking about switching to a 1911 style pistol, the 22/45 would be a awesome dedicated .22lr pistol since all the controls mimic the 1911. I would suggest getting the Light version for him. Would be easier for him to handle and less likely to fatigue him. Happy shooting.

ritepath

You can't go wrong with the 22/45 or MKIII that's for sure. They don't mind cheap ammo and they have a reputation for reliability.

marine6680

I hear good things about the S&W m&p 22s. Reliable running as I understand it.

I like my mkiii, and sr22. Neither are picky about ammo.

psyfly

Another vote for the 1911 and conversion.

Give your 12 year-old his first Colt. A new government model Colt is reasonably priced and you can research and add the conversion of your choice. I have yet to hear anything really bad about any of them.

Mine is the Kimber and it's a perfect match to my government model Colt.

That would be something for him to pass down to his grandchildren.

W.

TXAZ

Take HIM to a gun shop and let him try the grip and feel of various guns.
We don't know how big he is or arm strength, so what is comfortable to him may not be in the suggestions above.

Good luck!

BoogieMan

Ruger 22/45 or any MKxx, Browning Buckmark, Browning 1911-22, Beretta NEOS. The Neos is such a great gun and so many people overlook it. Problem is its a little funky looking and made for small hands.

Pahoo

One size does not always fit all ??

Like others have mentioned, I too would recommend the Ruger MK-Family. Don't forget that they now make the LITE model. Have held the Browning reduced 1911 and that would work as well. Have held and shot the SIG again, in the smaller 1911 frame and it's pretty nice. Like others, you need to work with one of your LGSs and see what fits and feels better. Many of your LGSs have shooters working for them and some of these guys know their stuff. .. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

NJgunowner

Sig P226 .22lr. Then you can do their conversion kits for a couple of hundred bucks when he's ready to move up to something bigger.

DaleA

My vote would be for the Ruger Mark anything or the 22/45.

If you want a little more class you could get a Browning Buckmark but it won't shoot any better.

If your funds are really high and you're into competition then maybe go whole hog and get a S&W model 41.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...83659_757900_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I want one but I can't bring myself to spend that much money for it. OTOH your son would be able to shoot it his whole life and pass it on to his son so the cost per year would be next to nothing and you'd have a VERY nice target .22 pistol.

I had miserable results with a floating chamber Colt .22 conversion unit on a 1911 but I've had friends with other conversion kits that did quite well.

Good luck.

doofus47

I introduced my absolute beginner friend to shooting using an SR22 and moved up to 9, then to 40.
He preferred 9, but he absolutely loved the SR22 and was talking of getting that as well.
My friend was an adult, but I assume the experience would be similar.

rt11002003

I've tried a number of 22 pistol brands. Currently own two Ruger Mk iii's, a Target and a Competition Target. In addition, I have a S&W Model 41. Hands down, the Model 41 is best of the three. However, the Rugers are hard to beat.

I'd also recommend the Hammerli Xesse Sport. Light weight, super accurate (better than the Model 41) and great fun to shoot. I keep talking, m/b I'll buy another one.

I found a couple of targets from a year, or so ago, when I was shooting the Hammerli. Forgotten just how good it is.

Hammerhead

I am thinking of a 1911 with a .22 conversion so he could "grow" into it.
Add a reloading press and you'll have a nice kit. Reloads not only save money, but you can make lower recoil ammo, and it's another hobby to teach/learn.

I'm looking at the Springfield Mil Spec parkerized (love the GI look) and a Kimber conversion for a hobby gun. I have a lot of .45 components & HV .22 ammo that need a home.

357 Python

While I believe you are on the right track in thinking a .22LR handgun is a good starting place don't limit yourself to just one type. There are several good revolvers out there that also fit the bill. S&W has a few that would be good. Ruger has their Single-Six line of single action revolvers. They even have a .22LR and .22 Magnum conversion Single-Six.

6mm

I got my daughter a Ruger SR22 and she enjoys it. I tried her out on one of my MKII's but she didn't like. Picked up the SR22 in a trade and she really likes it. For me I like my MKII's.