Gun for girlfriend

publius

I know this is a question that is correctly answered, " have her shoot a bunch and she can pick the one best for her." That is the optimal scenario but is not feasible at this time. She is being stalked and I need to arm her now. She is 5'2" and probably 100 lbs. with correspondingly small hands. I'm taking her shooting tomorrow and will be with her through Sun. and she needs to have something by next week. I am going to let her shoot what I have on hand, Ruger MKII .22, S&W model 10, Walther PPK, Ruger P94, Browning Hi-Power, Betetta PX4. After I let her shoot these as much as she & I are comfortable with, we are going shopping. I'm guessing with her small hands the .22 and PPK, possibly Beretta will be the only ones that will fit right. In my mind I'm thinking the Ruger LC9 will probably be at the very top of the list when we get into the store but I'm not crazy about an external safety. Any other semi small gripped pistols I should be thinking of. Really don't want to get into small compacts, sub compacts like LCP, kel tecs etc.

DubC-Hicks

My girlfriend has a shield 9mm and loves it. She's also a big fan of my Glock 43 and 19, but the 19 is a bit big for a typical girl to conceal, I think.

I think the LC9s is available in a Pro model without the safety too. Also check out the XDs, any Kahr, Bersa Thunder .380 or BP9cc. There are a lot of good options out there.

Bill DeShivs

Look very seriously at the Keltec P32, not the P3AT.
The .32 is small, lightweight, easy to carry, and easy to shoot.

If size doesn't matter, you might find your High Power works well for her.

Snuffy308

Mode of carry and type of equipment setup is just as important as the gun you end with. A quality holster is essential for any non saftied striker fire.

Snuffy308

Oh, the gun. Knew I forgot something. The Glock 43 is a particular favorite of mine. Seems to prove optimum in the size to power to capacity ratio, especially with a plus two magazine extension. And still be very shootable.

Mosin44az

In my opinion she might find the recoil of the LC9s a bit stiff. The Shield is better. An LC380 might be more manageable, but don't know if it's available striker-fired. The standard LC9 trigger is bad, especially for a beginner. If you think she can handle the regular LC trigger, she doesn't have to apply the safety.

Glock 42 is small but shoots like a bigger pistol. Glock 26, Beretta Nano, Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact should be manageable. Make sure she has a protected holster, solidly covering the trigger guard, if you choose the Glocks, and also maybe the Nano.

Bersa Thunder .380 shoots very well, I think it shoots as well as the SIG P232 I compared it to. Modest price, good rep. Works like the PPK you have. I would get the regular version and not the CC version which cuts back too much on the sights and the rear grip tang.

If you have Ruger ARX ammo available in your area, check it out. Greatly reduced recoil, but still a defense load. Makes a .40 shoot like a 9.

Ruger SP 101 is a classic revolver, heavy but compact. The weight will absorb recoil, especially with the 3-inch barrel. You can add a Hogue grip if you want. Lighter .38 loads should be no problem, including (again) the ARX load. I also think the LCR is comfortable, IF you get the .357 mag version and shoot .38s out of it.

Chaz88

The Glock 43 is a particular favorite of mine

I am not a Glock fan but I think this one should be on anyone's list to consider for a concealed carry 9mm. It is only a fraction bigger than the 42 .380

I will probably get one at some point or talk dad out of his. (it is sad. My little brother took a perfectly respectable S&W mod 29 kind of guy and turned him into a Glock guy.:()

bamaranger

against the grain

I am going to suggest something against the grain from the direction you are leaning. If one shoots much you get this question now and again...."what gun for my (fill in the blank). Many folks want to run out and by an auto for a newcomer. I am hesitant to recommend an autoloader for anybody that is not into guns, or has and will continue to practice and shoot.

My standard answer is a .38 revolver, 4" for a house gun, and a 2" snub for carry. The snub if you're just gonna buy one. Here's why:
-she's gotta have it with her.....a snub goes a lot of places a larger auto will not
-power...several options, but .38 spl is a good basic round, with .380 a bit less
-simple manual of arms...open it up, fill the holes, close, pull trigger till it won't shoot any more, open, dump......repeat

The standard is the S&W j frames, the new player is the Ruger LCR, and Taurus and Charter come in as affordable options. Rock Island Arms makes a 2-4" 6 shot .38 that is a tad bigger, and more down the lines of a Colt Police or Smith J and I have no experience with any of those.

TunnelRat

First off if you haven't you should contact the police. I'm not saying don't arm yourself, I'm saying having it recorded beforehand in case something does happen is a good idea.

Secondly, is this something she will carry or have at home? That tends to make a big difference in terms of what size pistol is doable. I often see husbands/boyfriends etc. get their wives tiny pocket pistols because the women often have smaller hands. The thing is those tiny pistols are often difficult to shoot, are often in less desirable calibers, and often have tiny barrels that don't give the bullets much time to build up velocity. If concealability isn't as big of a concern a larger pistol with a small backstrap can work well. I personally wouldn't go below 9mm. If she does plan to conceal it I think the S&WW Shield is very affordable as well as relatively easy to shoot for its size.

I will recommend against a 22 LR. Yes a gun is better than no gun, but the attacker dying 10 minutes later after he's already killed your girlfriend isn't much consolation. Handguns, even in 9mm and up, are poor stoppers. If this is for home defense rather than carry I'd actually recommend a youth model 20 or 12 gauge shotgun (the shorter LOP will help). Either will be very affordable, much easier to develop marksmanship with, and easily dwarf a pocket gun for power.

Last edited:

g.willikers

Unless you are knowledgeable and qualified to teach her not only how to shoot, but how to survive a potentially deadly encounter, get her to a genuine self defense trainer pronto.
Then worry about the gun.

Fishbed77

First off if you haven't you should contact the police. I'm not saying don't arm yourself, I'm saying having it recorded beforehand in case something does happen is a good idea.

This x1000.

She needs to contact her local law enforcement. Then she needs to evaluate the situations that put her in contact with this person and how to avoid them. Only then does she need to start looking for a gun.

MarkCO

Get her the book "The Gift of Fear". REALLY. Knowledge is much more powerful than arming for the vast majority of people. Not saying do not include firearms training, but the rush to guns can, and statistically validated, get those who are untrained into more trouble than they were really in to start with.

The guns that come to the top of the list for most women that I have worked with who actually get to try, test and choose their firearms are Taurus .38 or 9mm revolvers, CZ P09/P07. Many a Kahr, Glock, Shield etc. sit in drawers or get traded in because the women they are forced upon by men in their lives have no clue what will be a firearm she is actually comfortable with and will shoot, practice and carry.

HistoryJunky

If it's for at home, a 9mm 1911 or CZ P09.

If for carry, anything she can shoot decently well and is comfortable with.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

TimSr

I'll join the amen chorus of those saying get a small handled .38 revolver. Snubbies are hard to shoot well, but a 3" barrel changes things drastically. Just bought a Rock Island 4" .38. Nice small grip, my wife (with tiny hands) fell in love with it. Got it for my son as an enjoyable range gun because his LCP isn't much fun to shoot. MarkCo makes a very valid point about small concealable semi-auto defense guns usually not being very enjoyable for many to shoot.

FITASC

Don't forget for both of you to read TheCorneredCat.com.

You didn't mention if she has a permit to carry a concealed handgun. If not, then something like pepper spray until she is legal for the purse and a gun for the house/car.

T. O'Heir

This is a question that is correctly answered by taking her shopping and having her try a bunch on for size. Then shooting the one(s) that fit her hand best. Absolutely not the one she thinks is the cutest though. Although 'pink' firearms are an option these days.
And get her to a genuine self defense shooting trainer.
A small handled revolver doesn't always fit small hands. However, it's easier to fix 'too small' than it is 'too big' by just changing grips.