Gun Cleaning

kitman

I have a question about cleaning my guns, I know how to claen most of the weapons but...

1. How do I clean the barrel of a rifle I CAN'T run the rod from breach to muzzel? Do I put in my rod and put on the brush and remove the rod? It's for a Marlin Model 60 .22lr.

2. When I clean my guns how much of them should I dissassemble should I take every spring and pin out that I can? Or should I just "feild strip" then and clean the actual workings as best I can?

Thank you very much to ALL

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

------------------
"Its hard doing nothing, You never know when you are finished."

James K

Member In Memoriam
To clean a rifle barrel that can't be cleaned from the breech, just clean with a brush and patch normally. You may want to buy a little gadget that acts as a bore protector so the cleaning rod doesn't rub the bore at the muzzle. Some people prefer a fiber glass rod for this reason. Actually, unless you do a lot of cleaning, it probably does not make much difference.

You should only "field strip" the rifle enough to clean it. You can clean trigger groups and the like with a spray cleaner without taking them apart. Clean the bolt face and the extractor with an old toothbrush or copper or brass brush if there is a lot of powder fouling.

Taking a rifle fully apart is not necessary unless something needs repair. The biggest problem in doing so is the little spring you heard hit somewhere in the corner but can't find.

Jim

rangerco

GET A COATED CLEANING ROD...
The big "rub" (pun intended) is the cheap, aluminum cleaning rods in .22 rimfire barrels. Most .22 rf don't use the toughest steel because at those low levels of performance it is completely not needed. Aluminum when it oxidizes forms aluminum oxide (surprise, surprise!). Ever heard of an aluminum oxide grinding wheel. Try any hardware store. So the rimfire shooter with his trusty cheap rod can easily take out the rifling on one side of the muzzle... I know a couple of gunsmiths who worked miracles by cutting 1 inch off the muzzle of the gun, recrown, etc. Then came instructions on cleaning... It is not as bad with centerfire, but it can happen. USE A GOOD QUALITY, COATED CLEANING ROD. It is worth it.

Mike Baugh

I second the coated rods , I use Dewey rods for my rifles . You can also use a pull through cleaning system . I have one for an air rifle that is a small diameter nylon string with a loop on one end and a plastic tube around it to provide stiffness so you can push it down the barrel from the muzzle end , simply push it through and place a patch in the loop and pull back out . Good luck , Mike...