Gun Cleaning Supplies, Etc.

Jeff Thomas

1. Had a surprising experience ... had been using some gloves from Home Depot (supposedly made for working with toxic substances) for use in cleaning firearms. [I'd decided it was probably best not to get solvents, lead, etc. on my hands.] While they worked fine for awhile, this weekend I went to pull them out, and ... they had partially dissolved in my cleaning box! Anyone else use gloves?

2. Any good sources for cleaning supplies? Small bottles of Hoppe's and small packages of cotton wipes are a pain, and yet I don't usually see larger quantities / packages available in most retail stores or gun shows. Any better ideas? I hate buying small amounts at exhorbitant prices.

Thanks.

Regards from AZ

Bogie

I'm sure you've probably heard about Ed's Red - I like it for shotguns where you get a lot of plastic and powder fouling.

A large jar of Shooter's Choice or Butch's Bore Shine (which I what I recommend) will cost you about $15-16 bucks. I'm sure you can find 'em mailorder, and if you spend a couple of hours searching, you may save a couple of quarters... I'd personally just call Sinclair, (www.sinclairintl.com) since they've got great service.

Now for the secret - Go down to your local GM dealer, and get some GM Top Engine Cleaner. Good stuff, and not too expensive.

Mix either Shooter's Choice or GM Top Engine at 50/50 with some Kroil ($25/gallon), and you just extended it nicely, and the Kroil helps it work.

Instead of the $7/can degreasers, just get brake cleaner down at the local Autozone. Works fine...

Waitone

The problem may be your gloves. Latex is a notoriously weak protective product. You have to be careful what is in contact with latex. I suggest getting a pair of genuine official rubber gloves. If rubber dissolves you are messing with the wrong chemicals.