Gun cleaning snake

Mastrogiacomo

I have .22 and 7.62×39 rifles. I'm assuming I get one snake for each gun but my question is you put the cleaning on the snake and then rub oil on the same snake? How do you clean the snake after?

Laura

T. O'Heir

Different calibres do need different tools. Never bothered with the gimmicky stuff myself. Only ever used rods or pull throughs(Piece of string with a jag).
Anyway, bore snakes get put in the regular wash or get hand washed. A pull through doesn't need that.

Cirdan

I love the bore snake. I use it immediately after firing while the barrel is still hot. Then, when I clean at home, the inside of the barrel is pretty good before I even start.

FITASC

Or you get two - one for cleaning and one for oiling. Here's a tip - get a piece of paracord or strong venetian blind cord and tie it to the rear loop. That way, when the pull string breaks off ans the entire snake is stuck in your bore, you'll be able to get it out without needing to go to gunsmith.;)

rebs

your cleaning chemical such as Hoppe's #9 goes on the front of the bore snake ahead of the brushes, oil goes on the back end of the snake. Some people put the cleaner right after the brushes as well.

KW Gary M

I usually use the snake for cleaning only. I will sprat the solvent in the barrel then run the snake through it back to front so the snake comes out the same way the bullet did. I'll run the snake through the barrel twice.

To oil the inside of the barrel I will put a clean patch on a cleaning rod. oil the patch pretty heavily and run the rod with patch through the barrel.

To clean the snake itself I will put it in an old sock tied shut and run it through my washing machine then let air dry.

FITASC

To clean the snake itself I will put it in an old sock tied shut and run it through my washing machine then let air dry.

You are a brave man doing that in momma's washing machine - the easiest solution is to take Dawn (NO substitute), hot water and either a small bucket of a half gallon milk jug. Wash thoroughly by shaking and then rinsing and then air-drying

OhioGuy

I keep a little Break Free CLP in my range bag, as well as a bore snake for both .22 and 9/.380. When I finish shooting, I rub a little CLP on the feed ramp and inside the first 1/4" or so of the barrel, then pull the snake through. It keeps it much cleaner between shooting sessions and also keeps the feed ramp polished. My 9's have never really had issues shooting dirty, but quick cleanings like this make a huge difference in my .22 target gun--far fewer misfeeds when the ramp and barrel are cleaned and lubed.

When I fully clean the gun (dunno...every 200 rounds or so) I spray solvent in the barrel and let it sit a while, then run patches through it. I suppose I could use the snake for that too, I just never have--habit I guess. The barrels never need many patches because they've been kept pretty clean with the snake prior to that.

I've always just hand washed the snake in hot water and some Dawn dish detergent, then air dried it.

ShootistPRS

I don't use bore snakes on any of my guns for one simple reason:
Pulling a cloth rope that is full of carbon through the muzzle has got to wear the muzzle. Even if you could pull it exactly in line with the bore you are pulling all that crap embedded in the rope through the most important inch of the bore.

Maybe I am over estimating the damage it can do but I will sick with a rod, brush and patch.

Rangerrich99

I used to put Hoppe's cleaner/M-Pro 7 on the brushes, CLP from the back of the brushes for the next 6 inches or so and Hornady's One Shot w/Dri-Lube to the loop, loop dry, so it acted like a patch.

Now I use the snakes or Otis ripcords as a quick cleaner after a shooting session, so I spray the first third of the snake with CLP and let it go at that. If I lived in a more humid state I'd probably continue to spray a little One Shot on the back of the snake/ripcord, as it apparently has a bit better rust protection than Breakfree.

I've only had a snake get stuck once, in my .22 Henry AR-7, but fortunately the loop was still hanging out of the breech, so I just put the barrel in my vise and pulled it out. It was really stuck and I had to put most of my body weight behind it to get it out. Of course, it let go quite suddenly and I almost threw myself out the window when it came loose. After that, I haven't used snakes for my .22s. Never had one get stuck in any other caliber bore. I do like the idea of tying a length of para-cord to the loop though.

As for cleaning snakes, once I ran them through the washer; the boss threw a pretty serious fit over that, so now I drop them in a 5 gallon bucket, fill with about two gallons of hot water and mild dish soap, let them soak for an hour, agitate every fifteen minutes, rinse and let air dry.

And I only wash them twice a year. Once in February (beginning of reloading season) and once in August (right before fall fishing season).

One way to get the worst of the crud out of a snake is to blast it with Hornady One Shot. A lot of the black soot, metal shavings, etc. will come out, and the One Shot dries pretty quickly.

Last edited: