Gun case vs. lawyer holstered

Drizzt

The events leading up to this are here.....

Gun case vs. lawyer holstered

By SCOTT SHIFREL
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A lawyer accused of stockpiling a huge cache of weapons in his home - including assault rifles - has pleaded guilty to a single count of disorderly conduct.
Philip Bernstein, 46, faced 87 counts and up to seven years in jail. But prosecutors found the guns were inoperable, antiques or had proper registrations, a spokesman for District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Bernstein's lawyer said that on Oct. 4, he pleaded to disorderly conduct in exchange for a conditional discharge and $60 in court costs.

He was initially charged with having what Brown called an "unbelievable" arsenal that included 10,000 rounds of ammunition and 16 guns.

"The district attorney pounds his chest and calls this guy a danger to society," said Bernstein's lawyer, Brian Griffin. "They set bail at $100,000, and he can't get out of jail for a month. It's totally outrageous."

Griffin said his client's only fault was not informing authorities that he was transferring four of the guns from a Nassau County gun club to his Fresh Meadows home.

Fiancee calls police

Bernstein was arrested in June after cops were called to his home when his fiancee said he was threatening her with a handgun, police said.

They found the weapons after searching the two-story brick home. They also said they found a tactical plan that detailed how he would defend his home if it were assaulted.

In July, Brown displayed the cache of weapons and ammo on a large table.

An auxiliary police officer for two years at the 107th Precinct in Fresh Meadows, Bernstein now plans to sue the Police Department and the district attorney's office, Griffin said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/31735p-30115c.html

WYO

But prosecutors found the guns were inoperable, antiques or had proper registrations, a spokesman for District Attorney Richard Brown said.

So, like, they're saying it was all legal? It sounds like a good reason why the first 86 charges were dropped.

OF

He was initially charged with having what Brown called an "unbelievable" arsenal that included 10,000 rounds of ammunition and 16 guns.
You know, I've heard that if your gun collection rises to a certain critical mass, you'll hear 120dB midnight broadcasts of "These Boots Were Made For Walking" and then your house will erupt in flames.

Sue the slimes. Sue the hell out of 'em! :mad:

- Gabe

KSFreeman

hlmcfa, you can't say that anymore!!! The truth must be surrendered so we don't offend.

Haven't you read the campaign finance reform law? §1 clearly states: "Thou shall not restate the truth if someone is offended.":rolleyes:

No4Mk1

KS,

Yeah, I read that thread, and frankly think there are some good points, but decided to stay out of the fray. Guess I am now on my way to getting banned from TFL today. Posted on another thread that the woman writing in to Ann Landers might be, well, how should I put it, less than forthright....

Now I have suggested that a woman might make a false complaint to get a former SO in trouble with the law....

I try to call 'em like I see 'em in an equal opportunity manner, just so happens that today I am calling it like I see it on two women....

If that gets me in trouble, so be it.

HL.

TexasVet

an "unbelievable" arsenal that included 10,000 rounds of ammunition and 16 guns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
PIKER!!! It's unbelievable that anyone would have that few guns and that little ammo!:eek:

paratrooper

Reminds me of a Repair Order I once read . COMPLAINT: Unbelievable noise coming from under the hood . MECHANICS SOLUTION: Noise made more believable .