Gun case foam

Les Auten

I bought some from Jo-ann Fabrics.
They have it in bulk and can cut it to size,several different thicknesses are available.
If you need to cut some an electric knife seems to work the best.

LionHunter

Most foam will retain water (moisture), which is clearly not a good thing for firearms. You can find foam that will not absorb moisture, but it is a special item. Even the foam in Pelican Cases will retain moisture. I replaced the foam in my handgun cases for that reason.

A/C Guy

You can use the expanding foam in a can. Just use clear plastic (Glad wrap) over it after you spray, set your firearm on it, close the case and wait an hour for it to harden. Trim as needed and respray the foam as needed for a perfect custom fit.

Tom2

Depends on your purpose. For transport to a range or something, any of that foam will work. If for some reason it will be long term in there, better not get the type of foam rubber that is open cell, that is, the little bubbles are open and act like a sponge. It will not take long to wick off the oily film on the outside of the gun, where it is in contact with that foam rubber it will be bone dry in a short time. And if any moisture contacts the foam or the air is maybe very humid or there are wide temperature changes with moist air, it will act like a sponge for moisture too. Some foam rubber deteriorates over time and gets crumbly too, but that is usually over some years of time. But I suppose in a dry place like a climate controlled home in a closet, the risk is not as great as say, a garage or basement. That thing of expanding foam spray with a plastic lining is not so bad, I have seen that used to fill transport containers for delicate instruments. But it is denser and heavier than foam rubber so if the case is a lot larger than the gun, it is a bit heavier. I sort of like the Glock tupperware containers for handguns. Notice how they have a peg to go thru the trigger guard and secure the gun from rattling around, and there is only plastic in contact with the gun, no foam or scratchy materials. And they seal like tupperware. Someone could make those style gun containers for other guns and sell them well.

MauiDoc

I recycled a beat-up boogie board that I probably picked up from the side of the road --I guess they blow out of them tourist-driven convertibles!

I built a case for my pistols using an old Ridgid tool box, cut out the formed plastic inside the box with an old steak knife and a heat gun (burnt the X$&* outta my right shoulder with that heat gun--be careful!), then peeled off the slick hard plastic bottom from the boogie board, cut and trimmed the foam to fit into the case, outlined and cut out depressions to fit the pistols and mags, covered it all with some spare (very tropical!) fabric I had laying around and voila! Custom and distinctive case. The guns still rattled around until I cut some small blocks from the spare foam and inserted them into the foam in the top of the case to hold everything in place.

I'll post pics if anyone is interested, maybe even if not!

Nice solid case, metal latches, lockable with small (semi-useless) padlock, and doesn't scream "GUN!"

Tried the squirt-foam and plastic routine--foam didn't dry enough and just turned into a sticky mess. Might not have waited long enough (impatient type!)

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,601
  • box1c.jpg
    box1c.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,292
  • box001.jpg
    box001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,171
Last edited:

MauiDoc

More pix

Here are the rest of the pics of the gun-case project. Ifigured Boogie-board foam wouldn't absorb any water! I think it's closed-cell polyethylene.

Mistake in the earlier post--the box didn't have a piano hinge, but sturdy nonetheless.

Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pics--left the good camera at the office. Again.

Attachments

• box1d.jpg
    box1d.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,275
  • box1e.jpg
    box1e.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:

Nemsis

Thanks for the pics

how flexible is that marine foam is it like the packaging material they pack tv's with or is it more like the regular foam that comes in gun cases?

MauiDoc

Boogie-board foam is pretty stiff but easy to cut--I used kitchen knives. Found it easier to cut out the entire shape of the gun, pull the gun-shaped plug of foam out and slice it to the desired thickness (basically cutting off the width of the gun), then cram the plug back in. Easier than trying to cut out chunks.

Marine foam from boat cushions is pretty similar.

RedneckFur

I need some new foam for one of my cases. I've got a lockable stainless steel rifle case, and its in great shape, but the foam is worn down. i'll see if I have a joanne fabrics in my area. I've considered buying matress pad material from walmart, but I dont think it would work as well.

Hemicuda

MauiDoc...

How did you manage to burn your shoulder?

I'm TRYING to picture a scenario where the gun would end up anywhere NEAR my shoulder, and can't quite get it...

but I'm unlucky, and could imagine it happening to me...

share the info, save us some pain! LOL

MauiDoc

It was easy.....

Shirtless on a Sunday, kneeling on the stoop, leaning waaaaay over to reach underneath in order to retrieve the steak knife that fell thru the cracks...minimal, extremely short contact with the anterior deltoid to the hot muzzle of the heat gun--instant blister. Gotta scar--wanna see pics?:p (There may have been a beer or two involved; after all it was Sunday!)

Nemsis

well I still have'nt found any foam but I did buy a hot wire table that will make cutting the foam an easy and precise job.

http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/product.php?productid=16140&cat=3&page=1

the goal is to be able to make my case look like this

customguncase.jpg