Gummy bullets with Alox

chris in va

Not sure what I should do about this. Started to get some jams with my Sig 220 that NEVER has issues, and I attribute it mostly to the lube.

Just how thin can I get this stuff and it still keep the barrel from leading?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trial and error. When I used the liquid alox I never had a problem...but some guys cut it with mineral spirits. I always wiped off the part of the bullet that stuck out of the brass. It takes time, but is much cleaner.

m&p45acp10+1

For my .45 acp LSWCs I wipe them off with a cleaning patch with a touch of Gojo on it, then I wipe it with a rag. It works pretty well for me.

I am assuming, as the others did, that this is about the liquid Alox product (Lee Liquid Alox and White Label Xlox; same stuff) and not the original Alox that the famous NRA lube formula mixed 50:50 with beeswax to use in lubrisizers?

Liquid Alox is designed to be thinned with mineral spirits. It works up through low rifle velocities, so if you aren't shooting that fast, diluting it some will be fine. I thin it with about 10% mineral spirits by volume, When it has dried to the tacky state, I dust it with motor mica and roll it around some more. This makes it less tacky to handle after it finishes drying.

zxcvbob

Instead of mica, has anyone tried talcum powder? (real talcum, not cornstarch pretending to be talcum)

I use LLA for .45 Colt bullets mostly, and I use it full strength but I don't use much.

There's another liquid bullet lube called "Rooster Jacket" that dries clear and hard. It works great at .38 Special velocities. I haven't tried it in magnums or rifles yet (I suspect the Alox will work better at the top end but I have no data to support that)

Talc repels moisture to prevent chafing. Mica lubricates the way graphite does, by sheering plates. I don't know how good talc is as a lubricant? It's soft enough to scratch with your fingernail, so maybe it would act like hard wax?

Rwilson452,

Wow, that's pretty thin. Good to know it still works that thin at lower velocities. I'll give that a try.