Moderator Emeritus
Pulling out of Senate race.

Official press conference later today

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20000519_813.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>WIRE:05/19/2000 12:59:00 ET
Source: Giuliani dropping out of Senate race

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) _ New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has decided to drop out of the U.S. Senate race against Hillary Rodham Clinton, a Republican close to the mayor said today.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the information came in a conversation with the mayor at City Hall.

"The mayor will announce today he will drop out," the source said.

Giuliani, plagued by health and marital problems, has been weighing his political future for three weeks.

There was no immediate comment from the mayor.

Republicans in New York City and Albany said they were getting telephone calls from the mayor but did not disclose what he was telling them.

Clinton said, "I will wait until we know for sure... I don't do anything different because of that. I try to do what I have done for many months now."

"I have no control or say over what happens on the other side," she said.

Three weeks ago, the New York City mayor announced he was suffering from prostate cancer and wasn't certain if he could continue in the Senate race. He said the political decision would hinge largely on his determination about how to treat his cancer and whether he would be able to campaign effectively while undergoing and recovering from that.

But since his cancer announcement, the married mayor also went public with confirmation that he was seeing Judith Nathan, who he described as "a very good friend." He later said that he and his wife of 16 years, Donna Hanover, were discussing a formal separation.

Republican leaders will have to scramble to come up with a replacement candidate. The state GOP nominating convention is May 30 in Buffalo.

But Republican leaders, including Gov. George Pataki, had passed the word that if the mayor bowed out of the race, their favored candidate to take on the first lady would be Rep. Rick Lazio of Long Island.

Lazio has said for several days that he would make no statement about his intentions until Giuliani had made his decision. The congressman, who has about $3.5 million in his campaign bank account, had been preparing to run for the Senate until August when Pataki endorsed the mayor's bid and asked Lazio to suspend his effort. Lazio did so.[/quote]

------------------
RKBA!
"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4 Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

JIM.F

I DONT THINK THIS CAN BE SEEN AS ANYTHING BUT GOOD.THIS OPENS THE WAY FOR RICK LAZZIO WHO HAS NONE OF THE BAGGAGE OF NEW YORK CITY ON HIM.I THINK THAT HILLARY,S CAMP HAS JUST BEEN MADE ANOTHER VICTIM OF CANCER.WE SHOULD ALL SEND AN E-MAIL TO HILLARY WITH OUR CONDOLENCES!!!!JUST KIDDIN.

Oatka

CRAP! Unless a miracle occurs, the Clintons will be with us for years!

Giuliani wasn't any prize, but his biggest asset was that he wasn't a Clinton.

Unless the GOP comes up with somebody charismatic and forceful, we are screwed, Big Time.

I gotta find a small neighbor and beat him up.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Battler

Rudy's "NY City" baggage was a PLUS!!

The majority in NY City AND state are pretty left wing, the only thing Rudy had going amongst them giving him a chance is "well, he cleaned up NY City". And people knew who Rudy was.

Who the f**k is Lazzio?

Oh well, we know who the first female president is going to be.

Battler.

K80Geoff

Well Lazio is my congresscritter. He is not a conservative by any means but is not as liberal as Rudy. His district has a high contingent of Soccer Moms who vote for him because he is appealing to them and is a family man. the NRA gave him a C- rating in the last election, which is the best we can hope for in NY in a politician.

He does have about 3.5 mil in his war chest and will be able to raise more easily. He will appeal to the average joe because he has young kids and is married and the press likes him. Even Newsday endorsed him, when a ultra liberal rag like that endorses a Republican it is a good sign that he has a good chance.

The big nut is the upstate vote, they hate NYC and rightly so. they may balk at a Long Islander as their senator.

He is not a bad guy but does pander to the soccer mom vote.

Concerning Hillary, she IS a cancer.

Geoff Ross

Futo Inu

Fine. Seems to me Lazio or someone else will have a better chance of beating her Hillaryness anyway, correct? What's your opinion. The talking heads were saying he could do well against her. But is he too far behind?

Monkeyleg

Geoff, doesn't Kate O'Beirne write for Newsday? She's got a pretty level head on her shoulders.

It's a cryin' shame that you have to choose between a C- Lazio and a FFF Hillary.

Ugh.

Dick

K80Geoff

I will admit I am not familiar with Kate O'Beirne. Frankly, I do not read Newsday, it is far too leftist for me. It doesn't even make a good fishwrap, the ink always rubs off :)

But in spite of their leftist bent they (Newsday) have supported Lazio in his congressional bids, apparently he is acceptable to them. This may help him in the downstate areas. He is pro abortion, but against Partial Birth abortion, which sits well with Soccer Moms and will get him the conservative party nod that Rudy did not have.

C- is prety good for this area, Rudy was an F! They ain't no A+ politicians in NY.

I know of no baggage that Lazio brings to the race, don't even think he has ever been divorced. He has a wife and two little girls, his family picture should make the ladies happy with him. And he doesn't come across as the typical sleazeball NY politician.

I think I am going to volunteer to help him. It beats painting hammer and sickles on hillary posters :)

Geoff Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!