GSG-5 or go for an AR?

Tatsumi67

Hey TFL! long time no post.

I have something I need to be settled. I will attending a gunshow first of the new year, and I finally got around to getting my MN permit to buy. So I'm wondering, should I try to find a deal on an AR15 (complete) or should I go for a GSG-5 in any form?

I already have a Mini-14 and with the price of .223 I can't afford to use it alot, so I dont really feel the need for another .223 rifle even if I REALLY want one. I have also been dreaming of a GSG-5 as of late because it's cool, and it shoots something I can afford to buy and shoot en mass; .22LR.

Your thoughts?

studman5578

I'd say GSG-5. You might consider reloading though, it'd enable you to save a ton on both your Mini-14 and an AR if you decided to go with that. If you're a fan of the ar platform but still wanted to use 22lr ammo, you could also get a dedicated upper for 22lr. They're everywhere, so you won't have trouble finding one. OR further still, you could get an AR in 223, and get a 22lr conversion kit (i'm not sure what type of accuracy you can expect with it, I haven't used one myself)

EdInk

I am biased but go for the GSG-5.

I bought the carbine version and LOVE it. Now that they can't import the gun anymore expect them to go up a little in value too. You can shoot 100rds for $2.00, extremely economical and fun.

The AR-15 will always be available and sooner or later the prices will go back down a little bit. Also, with everyone and their brother making them the used market will be flooded in a couple years.

If you want a tacticool .22, I would go for a M&P 15-22. It's cheaper than the GSG and I think more durable as well. Plus all of the bazillion different AR accessories will work on it...

studman5578

have you considered reloading before? I've gotten into reloading recently and if you get into it, you can get all your equipment and everything you need to start loading .223 for probably like 400$, less than you'd spend on a GSG-5.

Breakdown:

Lee auto turret press kit: $100
.223 dye kit: $30
Any 2 good manuals: $50
bullet puller: $15
Lee powder measuring kit: $10
Decent caliper: $20
Tumbler and Media: $50
Case lube: $5
2 lb powder (varget): $40
1 K primers: $35
any 500 .223 bullets: $50
Hopefully your old brass: $0
"Rolling you own" Priceless...

boom right there you got 500 rounds of 223 ammo. they also have these neat things that you attach to your AR that catches the brass as it is ejected aka no need for picking up brass off the floor.

so really its like you only spent 150 on this because 500 rounds of factory will cost you ~250, so if you load a thousand, you'd have paid for everything allready (although you'd need another $75 in powder and primers).

FURTHER, you'd be able to increase your accuracy and vastly your knowledge of guns and stuff. I learned a ton reloading and it makes shooting that much more fun.

9x19

Here's another vote for the S&W M&P 15-22... it will likely satisfy your craving for an AR (at least for a while) and will be inexpensive to shoot.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 with Tasco Accu-Dot 1x 30mm
SWMP1522car.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 with Simmons 2.5x-8x 36mm scope
SWMP1522sr.jpg

...and with an A3 carry handle
SW1522A3.jpg

WhoKnowsWho

I handled the GSG-5 and the S&W M&P 15-22 at a recent gun show myself and was torn about which one to get. I already have an AR and I really liked how the GSG-5 felt but I went with the 15-22 in the end but the nagging feeling of wanting the GSG-5 is still there...

Tatsumi67

I think I will go for a GSG-5, possibly the SD version. I really do want an AR, but I want a real AR15, and I'd bite the bullet, literally to pay for it and then get a dedicated 22 upper later. Gunshows are always a crap shoot in terms of whats for sale, and I can always go to my trusted smith shop to buy any new if I wanted. I'll just have to see whats there.

If a complete AR makes itself appear at a deal I'll get it, if a GSG appears at and equivelent discount I'll go for it.

JerseyDrez

Go with the GSG.

I have the SD, but it was only an SD for a few weeks until I did a major makeover and put a rail on it with some other goodies.

Your gonna love it. That gun is so much fun, and shooting a 525rd Federal bulk pack for $20 never gets old.

(BH)

I personally would go with the AR, but if you'll get to enjoy the GSG5 more you should get it.

I buy all my .223 ammo online, and though it's still more expensive than .22, it's much cheaper than buying it locally. If I bought all my .223 locally (at $15 for 20 rounds) I'd never get to shoot. However, online I can get Hornady TAP Training ammo for $150 for 500. That's cheaper than 9mm for me.

mikejonestkd

The ATI GSG 5 is being discontinued, they lost the lawsuit with HK. Supplies may be limited and parts may or may not be an issue in the future. The AR is a clear choice - and I really like the S&W models.

kymasabe

Get the GSG-5 NOW because they can't import any more of them and after Jan 30th, can't sell anymore of them. The ones already in cargo containers on the way to USA have to be dismantled and used as warranty parts.
You'll always be able to get an AR but the window is rapidly closing on the GSG.

GLK

Go with the AR in a model using an actual AR lower and dedicated 22LR upper. Then when you get rich or the price of 5.56 ammo get back to $200.00 per K:D you can throw on a 5.56 upper make some real noise. I do have to admit I would be hard pressed not to snatch up a GSG-5 if one showed itself at a decent price. I can say that though since I already have the AR-22 upper from TacSol:). Also I want a link to the $150 per 500rd Tap ammo, I'll be all over that.
DSC03653.JPG

9x19

I think I will go for a GSG-5, possibly the SD version.

That's not a bad choice either, but may I strongly suggest you get some blue loc-tite and maybe some better screws ( www.rrages.com ). The factory screws tend to shoot loose on the bolt carrier and can lead to metal fatigue issues. Also, please buy or make a cocking handle buffer for the same reasons.

If you do those two things, the GSG will last you a good long time... BTW, I like both versions. :D

A.T.I. GSG-5
ATIGSG5s.jpg

A.T.I. GSG-5 SD
ATIGSGSD.jpg