GSG-5 light firing pin strikes!?

PoorRichRichard

Trigger goes "click" ant the firing pin makes a healthy looking dent in the bottom of the cartridge, but no bang. I've taken the bolt assembly apart and cleaned the holy hell out of it, and tightened all the screws upon reassembly. Also had 2 different gunsmiths try to fix it... Still getting light strikes. This is not an ammo problem (I've tryed everything from Mini Mags to all the differing bulk boxes, as well as the newer CCI rounds meant for theses type of simi-auto 22s), and I know it's not a magazine related problem, because it malfunctions with all various mags I have for the gun.

It might be helpful to know that when I bought the gun I put over 2500 rounds through it without ever tightening or cleaning the bolt assembly. I was also also going back and forth between using both a pistol barrel and a rifle barrel. Could any of this have caused permanent damage?

PLEASE HELP! I've got well over $900 invested in this gun, and I loved shooting it when i first got it. What can do to get it up and running again?

Jo6pak

I began having the same issues with mine. I bought the rifle used, and after a while I had ejection issues. I sent it back to ATI for the ejector plate upgrade. Then it ran fine for about 3-4000 more rounds, til I started having the light strikes.

I tried everything you have mentioned and also inspected for peening on the chamber. I even posted the same question here, but got no responses.

I don't think it's a barrel length issue as mine was a rifle version. I also cleaned mine regularily, so I don't think that is your issue.

Since I was contemplating selling it before the issues, I ended up selling it.

A shooting buddy has had his for quite a while and figures he has more than 7000 rounds thru it without any issues.

Have you tried to contact ATI directly?

PoorRichRichard

I've delt with ATI directly in a few other parts issues, and my experiences have not been all that great. The are professional on the phone, but they have sent me bunk parts twice (rifle barrel shrouds that were out of line pushing the barrel to one side), and on the third try they sent me the wrong version of the part- I had ordered the the standard shroud, and they sent me the SD shroud which I find esthetically displeasing. Also was a real pain in the you-know-what when my drum busted. Rep told me he had personally sent it out, and did not. He apparently had not written down my address correctly even though I had double checked it with him on the phone. Took over three weeks to get my drum back. So, as you might imagine, I'm a bit apprehensive about sending them my gun for repair.

Jo, if you don't mid me asking, how much did you get for your gun? And where did you sell it?

raftman

Maybe the issue is in the FCG.

Maybe the hammer spring has weakened just enough with use, to fail to set the round off, or maybe there's excessive fouling in the FCG as a whole (though I dunno if that's terribly likely).

raftman

I was just speculating.

FCG=fire control group, which in the case of the GSG is basically everything that is housed within the polymer lower of the firearm, the actual trigger, hammer, the springs, etc.

I'm only a little bit familiar with the GSG-5, but assume it's somewhat similar to my HK/Umarex MP-5 .22lr. If your bolt, firing pin, firing pin channel, etc are all clean and in good condition, and you don't have a badly peened chamber (as can be cause by repeated dry-firing), then it could possibly be the FCG. To get a round to go off, there is a hammer that strikes the rear of firing pin, propelling it forward. I was simply speculating that the spring that causes the hammer to drop forward may have weakened over time with repeated use to the point that it no longer strikes the firing pin hard enough to set off a round. Either that, or maybe fouling or some other obstruction may have found its way into the FCG and is gumming up the works.

f451

MP5

Sounds like the springs in your firing group need replacing. If it is dented on the face of the chamber from dry firing, it might cause this too but I would go with the springs first. Cheap to fix if it will fix it!

By the way, I just bought a MP5SD .22 H&K/Walther/Umarax and started a thread on the comparison of it and the GSG. Give me your opinions please!
:D

Jo6pak

PoorRichRichard said:
I've delt with ATI directly in a few other parts issues, and my experiences have not been all that great.

I had the same issues. Took them forever to respond to Emails, and I kept getting the "shoot only high-velocity, good quality ammo" line. Even after I explained that I was shooting the same ammo that I always used.

I sold it to a guy that likes to tinker with guns. If he gets it working, I'll post the results here.