Grr am I mad at the flyer!

Chris_B

This is easily the best I have ever shot a cap and ball revolver.

Target was at 33', Pietta 1862 Colt NY Metropolitan Police in .36

I tickled the trigger a little poorly on the first shot, which is the 6 ring flyer. I then settled down and drilled it. I am one happy cap and ball owner today. I only fired 18 rounds total today though...

1862target.jpg

Chris_B

err...no

The holes in the 'white' on those targets always look different from holes in the black, due to the printing.

The revolver is a six shot, .36
I used three targets yesterday, firing that revolver. I shot six times at each target. Like I posted already:

I only fired 18 rounds total today though...

here's the holes:

1) touching 8 ring, 11 o'clock
2) 8 ring, 9 o'clock
3) edge of 8 and 9 ring, 9 o'clock
4) 10 ring
5) 8 ring, 7 o'clock
6) between the 5 and 6 ring, 5 o'clock

Look closely at the hole at 8 ring, 7 o'clock. there's a rip going up to the hole in the ten ring. See how the ring itself is distorted? The paper tore away there, making the hole at 8 ring, 7 o'clock seem to be an oval. the paper tears funny on those targets, look at the hole touching 8 ring, 11 o'clock. Sometimes it 'blows out'. You never used one of these targets before??

I'm honestly taken aback here. Seven shots? Different calibers? OK, but I hope you don't drive wearing those glasses :D

kwhi43

I'm one of the scorekeepers at our local club. Just funnin you. I see 6 now.
Got to go find my white cane.

junkman_01

I thought this gun was a Pocket model (5 shot). As I conclude now, it is a full size Navy revolver (6 shot). Sorry for my assumption. :cool:

Chris_B

I thought this gun was a Pocket model (5 shot). As I conclude now, it is a full size Navy revolver (6 shot). Sorry for my assumption.

Well, yes and no, your first implusle is better than you think

It's a Pietta that looks like a recreation of a real revolver but as far as I can tell, it isn't. To me it seems like a cross between an 1860 Army, a pocket Police, and a New navy

Pietta called them "Colt 1862 NY Metropolitan Police" models, but as far as I know, that never really existed, and the closeset Colt model that really was made was similar, but not quite the same. if it was a Colt that was really made it really would be a 5 shot in that case, and smaller, too, so I totally see where you thought it was 5 shots and a pocket model

I took the barrel and barrel from my Pop's 1851 Navy (another Pietta) and they fit. I put the frames side by side and they look identical in dimension. I wouldn't fire the revolver in that configuration, but the parts fit. I think Pietta wanted another model in the stable and dreamed this one up, using a full size frame from their 1851 model

It seems like this revolver is a believable version of a revolver that was never actually made by Colt. Maybe Colt missed the boat on it but I can't say they really made one like this. White elephant of sorts, but a good looking one, and it shots well. I think the cap and ball revolvers are special