Grouse Rabbit - Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol?

jtduncan

I'm going out for my first ruffed grouse hunt here in Western Washington around Sept 1st.

But the question that is nagging me is which firearms for the hunt? Grouse from what I've been told can and do stand still and I was thinking about using my .22lr pistol or rifle for a 30-45 yard prone or supported shot.

I know the Remington 870 shotgun is a go but what about a .22lr pistol or a Marlin Papoose .22lr rifle? I'm probably going to carrying my Glock 26 for two-legged creatures.

I'll be hunting around some logging roads watching for grouse on the edge of the road or driving grouse out of the edge into open areas for better shots.

Don't want to be overburdened with weight or equipment that's not needed. I'll be carrying a first aid kit, vest/hat, probably 30-40 shells, knife, canteen. Anything else I should be carrying?

What firearms do you usually tote for a couple hours of hunting?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

BadMedicine

My brother has the best rabbit/grouse gun they ever made!!! it's a savage 20 guage/.22rimfire over and under, with a switch on the hammer to switch shootin'g barels. You can shoot them on the ground, or blast them when thay take off. My dad has the same gun by savage(a little different model, but same line of gun), but 20guage/.22mag. It's good too, but you don't really need .22mag for the smaller critters. I just carry my single shot remington 12ga. and my ruger MKII pistol on my waist.

Bottom Gun

Personally, I'd take the shotgun with #6 shot and the .22 pistol. I'd leave the Glock at home. If you think you might run into something higher on the food chain than you are, take a few rounds of buckshot or slugs along.

Don't forget your compass or GPS. It may save you from taking the long way back. ;)

deanf

We have good luck with the .410 shotgun. We don't shoot them on the wing. We get them on the ground or (rarely, 'cause we can usually get them on the ground without trouble) from a tree branch.

What's a "grouse rabbit"?

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited August 19, 2000).]

Dagny

If you'll be hunting where you can catch them on the ground, then by all means use a .22. Call me gettin' old but running into #6 shot with your teeth kind of diminishes enjoyment of a meal.