Grouse Prep in the Field?

jtduncan

I'm heading out for my very first grouse hunt in September. But I may be hunting a couple hours from where I live.

People have told me in passing that they cut an opening under the grouse's throat and pull hard splitting the animal in two. They then pull out the breast meal and discard the carcass for other scavengers.

I don't see how they do that and should I be carrying large ziploc bags with maybe some blue ice to keep the meat cool?

What the heck am I supposed to do once I've shot the darn grouse and found its body?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG

BadMedicine

Some people only keep the breast, and while dove hunting I do to, but a grouse has to much meat to waste on it's legs and wings,THEY"RE A BIG BIRD. Some sage grouse I've **** were chicken size(or am I thinking of chukar??) anyway, You want the meat to cool quikly so it doesn't spoil, I always pull up some loose skin on the breast and cut a slice in it big enough to get two fingers from each hand in. Put those in the and peel that sucker like and orange. Once the breast is exposed you can cut that and leave the rest for the coyotes, but I always go ahead and peel the rest of the bird (only takes a minute) and cut the wings and legs at the knee and elbow. Always pluck the entire bird before beginning to gut (unless your just taking the breast) and tehn gut last, other wise you'll have a mess of those downny feathers sticking to your bloody hands and the meat and drying there. We never take ice with us, I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted the extra weight, but we usually just hunt the morning or evening for birds. We usually eat them soon to and not freeze them, if that's your plan keep them cold. I'd say just put a cooler and some cold pacs in the car, and they'll be fine in your vest till you get there. Good Luck.